FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoundgarden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundgarden
    Posted: April 05 2006 at 17:27
I'm curious about the opinion of other prog rock lovers about this Seattle band from the 90's. I've always liked them very much. They are not prog at all, their main influence was perhaps Black Sabbath, but they were different from other grunge acts of those years because of the relative complexity of they music. They used to play in odd-time signatures very frequently, their melodies and musical structures were often weird and very original and their latest albums included some psychedelic influences. Anyone likes them?
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 17:42
I love them,and think they were one of the best bands to come out of Seattle during that period.

Chris Cornell's voice is ungodly,when I first heard Badmotorfinger I was blown away by what an amazing singer he is.

Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 17:59

I love Grunge.  The closest alternative rock band to prog rock would be Primus for obvious reasons. 

I love the distortion and angst-ridden lyrics and the sheer chaos of alternative rock.

My favorite Grunge albums

Badmotorfinger-Soundgarden

Dirt-Alice in Chains

Nevermind-Primus

Siamese Dream-Smashing Pumpkins

Sailing in a Sea of Cheese-Primus

Bossanova-Pixies

No Need to Argue-Cranberries

eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 18:13

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I love them,and think they were one of the best bands to come out of Seattle during that period.

Chris Cornell's voice is ungodly,when I first heard Badmotorfinger I was blown away by what an amazing singer he is.

I agree, his voice is unbelievable. Now he sings in Audioslave and his voice is already good but  is not the same, he has lost his high range and when he sings high tones it doesn't sound the same as in Soundgarden. I guess he is not getting old very well.

He also has a solo album (Euphoria Morning) with great singing. His voice in "Steel Rain" from that album is incredible.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 19:06
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

I love Grunge.  The closest alternative rock band to prog rock would be Primus for obvious reasons. 

I love the distortion and angst-ridden lyrics and the sheer chaos of alternative rock.

My favorite Grunge albums

Badmotorfinger-Soundgarden

Dirt-Alice in Chains

Nevermind-Primus

Siamese Dream-Smashing Pumpkins

Sailing in a Sea of Cheese-Primus

Bossanova-Pixies

No Need to Argue-Cranberries

Nevermind is a Nirvana album and it's Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus.

Mr. Krinkle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 19:13
I really like 90's music, specially early 90's like alice in chains, perl jam, Primus, smashing pumpkins, blind melon, etc. but i never really got into sound garden, dunno why. i hear the badmotherfinger album and somehow wasnt what i was specting. but  im sure that if i give them another shot i'lll get to like them.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 19:37
I love them my favorite so called grunge band, Badmotor finger & Superunknown are 2 of the best albums from the 90's. I have tryed Nirvana and Pearl Jam too but i like Soundgarden much more.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 19:44

I really don't care for grunge. The gravelly vocals, and angry, depressing lyrics about broken relationships, disfuntionality and despair just irritate me, and bring me down.Unhappy

I'm no expert, but the stuff I heard on the radio tended to predictability, too: acoustic opening (giving me temporary, false hope there was still some beauty/optimism left in popular music) -- loud angry part -- acoustic part -- loud and angry again, etc.

Just not my thing. After hearing so much praise, I tried to get into Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc, but I couldn't identify with it. (Still, I can understand why many, especially in these times, might like it.)

Perhaps I was just too old/relatively settled in my life, for it.Ermm Maybe I'm not "macho" enoughQuestion

(I preferred the generally much more cheery/positve 80s music -- no, not the shallow "haircut" crap on the radio, either).

I fouind the 90s to be piss-poor musically. For my tastes, a fun exception was Weezer -- they rock, they've understand melody and hooks, and they don't make me want to murder people, or blow my own brains out. Good time R & R. They lift me up!Thumbs Up

One of my least favourite popular bands today is Nickleback -- I find all their songs to be much the same. Is their singer ever NOT pissed off?Confused Bleah!

One man's meat.... Ying Yang

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 19:46
They're amazing. Fourth of July is an incredible song.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 20:56
amazing band
love superunknown and badmotorfinger

Edited by king of Siam
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 01:48

Soundgarden is good band yes,

and no Pixies and Primus aren't grunge,

the idea of "grunge" was such a horrid abomination, I just call the few decent bands from that time period good ol' rock&roll,

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 01:53
Peter, I agree, Nickelback is absolute garbage...my opinion of course!
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 08:26
Soundgarden-oh I miss them so,
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
lordoflight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:44

I really like soundgarden,alice in chains and smashing pumpkins. Chris Cornell has one of the best voices ever. Also, Kim Thayill (guitarist) is clearly influenced by Black Sabbath.

Recently i've also come to like Audioslave - mainly due to Cornell's amazing voice.

And Peter, Soundgarden's lyrics aren't mostly about broken relationships and most of their songs aren't depressing

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 11:17

Soundgarden were my favourite of those groups to emerge from Seattle in the early 90s ...

But they are probably not even in my Top 250 groups now

Is this a good place to ask if anyone has ever heard Days Of The New's third album simply called Days of the New III? Apparently Travis Meeks tried to go all art-rock with that one!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Soundgarden were my favourite of those groups to emerge from Seattle in the early 90s ...

But they are probably not even in my Top 250 groups now

Is this a good place to ask if anyone has ever heard Days Of The New's third album simply called Days of the New III? Apparently Travis Meeks tried to go all art-rock with that one!

Days of the New?  wow, I remember those guys, but definitely wrote them off as a mid-90s 1 hit wonder.  I really didnt think they had any other songs besides Touch Peel and Stand.

As for Soundgarden, I used to be really into them (back in 6th grade or so), and I still think Superunknown is a great record. 
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by lordoflight lordoflight wrote:

And Peter, Soundgarden's lyrics aren't mostly about broken relationships and most of their songs aren't depressing

That's good to know -- I'll give the band a good listen/another chance if I ever get the opportunity.Smile

As I said, I'm certainly no grunge expert -- I was just going by what I'd heard on the radio, and it seemed to be mostly joyless, "blame everyone else"/"other peole have f*cked up my life" music to me. A real downer. Lyrics are very important to me. Bitching and whining or macho posturing set to a beat just ain't my thing. If I need bringing down, I'll watch the news....Dead

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 15:49

The amazing talent of this guy has sadly gone to waste on Audioslave. I was really disappointed with both Audioslave albums, because even though they are good alt-rock albums, they don't showcase Cornell's vocals or lyrics. Except for one song- The Last Remaining Light.

Superunknown has gotta be the best 90's grunge album ever made. Black Hole Sun, The Day I Tried To Live, Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils, Mailman, Superunknown, Fell On Black Days, etc. And Kim Thayil is an amazing guitarist, so it just makes the album even better.

glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 16:55

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Nothing more to add !

lordoflight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 13:29
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Originally posted by lordoflight lordoflight wrote:

That's good to know -- I'll give the band a good listen/another chance if I ever get the opportunity.Smile

As I said, I'm certainly no grunge expert -- I was just going by what I'd heard on the radio, and it seemed to be mostly joyless, "blame everyone else"/"other peole have f*cked up my life" music to me. A real downer. Lyrics are very important to me. Bitching and whining or macho posturing set to a beat just ain't my thing. If I need bringing down, I'll watch the news....Dead

I too don't like all grunge and pessimistic teenage angst ridden lyrics but Soundgarden i like because 1 they arent really grunge and 2 even the songs with depressing lyrics dont sound depressing and suicidal (try Fell on Black Days).

I didnt like them at first because i had judged them on some songs which annoyed me, but then I heard Pretty Noose, The Day I tried to Live, Fell on Black Days and now i've really come like them.

Try those first when you try them again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>