Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoundgarden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 14:12
Soundgarden's 1st was their best- Superunknown was dissapointing- not to mention the fact that I heard "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" in what seemed like 200 times each over the span of a month

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 23:41
Originally posted by lordoflight lordoflight wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

[QUOTE=lordoflight]

And Peter, Soundgarden's lyrics aren't mostly
about broken relationships and most of their songs aren't depressing[/
COLOR>

[/QUOTE>

That's good to know -- I'll give the band a good
listen/another chance if I ever get the opportunity.pointer" alt=Smile http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/
smiley1.gif" onclick="AddSmileyIcon'smileys/smiley1.gif'">

As I said, I'm certainly no grunge expert -- I was just going by
what I'd heard on the radio, and it seemed to be mostly joyless, "blame
everyone else"/"other peole have f*cked up my life" music to me. A real
downer. Lyrics are very important to me. Bitching and whining or
macho posturing set to a beat just ain't my thing. If I need bringing
down, I'll watch the news....http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley11.g if"
onclick="AddSmileyIcon'smileys/smiley11.gif'">

I too don't like all grunge and pessimistic teenage angst ridden lyrics
but Soundgarden i like because 1 they arent really grunge and 2 even the
songs with depressing lyrics dont sound depressing and suicidal (try Fell
on Black Days).

I didnt like them at first because i had judged them on some songs
which annoyed me, but then I heard Pretty Noose, The Day I tried to Live,
Fell on Black Days and now i've really come like them.

Try those first when you try them again

I don't think soundgardens songs are depressing and teen-angst. They
are a GREAT band in my opinion. I love Pearl Jam as well. I don't know
about the other grunge bands (including Nirvana) but I know that Pearl
Jam (especially!) and soundgarden don't write about how other people
f**cked up their lives as Peter said. Pearl Jam's lyrics are actually very cool
and they have a lot of positive outlooks and good moral value.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 00:25

Originally posted by peter rideout peter rideout wrote:

I really don't care for grunge. The gravelly vocals, and angry, depressing lyrics about broken relationships, disfuntionality and despair just irritate me, and bring me down.Unhappy

I'm no expert, but the stuff I heard on the radio tended to predictability, too: acoustic opening (giving me temporary, false hope there was still some beauty/optimism left in popular music) -- loud angry part -- acoustic part -- loud and angry again, etc.

Just not my thing. After hearing so much praise, I tried to get into Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc, but I couldn't identify with it. (Still, I can understand why many, especially in these times, might like it.)

Perhaps I was just too old/relatively settled in my life, for it.Ermm Maybe I'm not "macho" enoughQuestion

(I preferred the generally much more cheery/positve 80s music -- no, not the shallow "haircut" crap on the radio, either).

I fouind the 90s to be piss-poor musically. For my tastes, a fun exception was Weezer -- they rock, they've understand melody and hooks, and they don't make me want to murder people, or blow my own brains out. Good time R & R. They lift me up!Thumbs Up

One of my least favourite popular bands today is Nickleback -- I find all their songs to be much the same. Is their singer ever NOT pissed off?Confused Bleah!¨

This is , sadly, what happens when everybody thinks grunge is Nirvana. Just because the poor man couldn't take it and killed himself does not mean everybody wanted to do that(Well, Andy Wood, Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley did died, but with overdose not by suicide). Besides, "grunge" is a very bad representation of the Seattle sound during the nineties. That word was only used by some guy in a magazine to describe their music and everyone clung to the style. It is useless to avoid the word now, since evidently the word "grunge" stands for the "Seattle music in the 90's", so that is why many think the Cranberries is also grunge because they "kinda sound alike". To my fellow grunge mates(damn, see why it is inevitable??) Soundgarden will hardly sound the same as Nirvana, and Pearl Jam will never sound the same as Alice in Chains. The fact that everyone were buddies and came from the same city did not mean they played exactly the same notes. You can never corner the groups into their genre, as a prog listener you know that simply cannot be.

So, you should checkout Soundgarden. I really recommend it. They were very metalheads at first but clearly evolved in their late albums. Chris Cornell's voice makes me pee of happy emotions and Thayil's guitars are quite original and crazy. Matt Cameron was clearly the best drummer of grunge, and one of my favorites in general music.

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 01:21

SmileThanks for being tolerant and polite with me, guys -- much appreciated!

Well, after reading all your words, I certainly will give Soundgarden another fair chance -- especially if I can hear some of the songs you've named.

Thanks for the recommendations and insight!Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:46

I've only heard Superunknown, but I really enjoyed it. But I'd still have to say my favorite grunge band is The Melvins. They always seem to get overlooked for some reason.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:56
Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

I've only heard Superunknown, but I really enjoyed it. But I'd still have to say my favorite grunge band is The Melvins. They always seem to get overlooked for some reason.

True...The Melvins were awesome.

I prefer the early Seattle bands like Mudhoney,Green River and the best of them all............

Mother Love Bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:03
I only know "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden and I must say, I do like it, but then I like some Audioslave tunes as well.  Chris Cornell does have a great voice indeed.

My friend likes Staind, I am not sure of I do, they did one good song (albeit with Fred Durst, who I really don't like at all), but the live version (without Fred Durst), isn't all that bad.

Does anyone else like Staind?
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:13
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I only know "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden and I must say, I do like it, but then I like some Audioslave tunes as well.  Chris Cornell does have a great voice indeed.

My friend likes Staind, I am not sure of I do, they did one good song (albeit with Fred Durst, who I really don't like at all), but the live version (without Fred Durst), isn't all that bad.

Does anyone else like Staind?

Their first album is awesome.Aaron Lewis' lyrics are very poignant,dealing with being raised in a broken home,drug addiction,etc.They are so full of pain you can tell he was writing a lot of things out of his system.

But ALL of their music is like that,it got old very quickly.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

True...The Melvins were awesome.

I prefer the early Seattle bands like Mudhoney,Green River and the best of them all............

Mother Love Bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you recommend me a Melvins album to start with? Their discography is gigantic, and I always seem to pick the bad ones.

BTW: Love the bands you mentioned ... and I'd like to add Temple of the Dog, which cannot be mentioned too often.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:27
Another great recommendation: Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning. A progressive album by my standards, although it would probably not fit in any progarchives genre. Not grunge at all, not heavy ... Post Alternative Rock with Chanson-Influences (the album even contains a French-lyrics version of one song), very acoustic-sounding, almost singer-songwriter.
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 02:42

Originally posted by mike enregalia mike enregalia wrote:

Another great recommendation: Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning. A progressive album by my standards, although it would probably not fit in any progarchives genre. Not grunge at all, not heavy ... Post Alternative Rock with Chanson-Influences (the album even contains a French-lyrics version of one song), very acoustic-sounding, almost singer-songwriter.

Holy crap dude! That is my favorite album of all time! Seriously! That album made me fall in love with Chris Cornell's voice! I want to know more about the background band Eleven, their records are out of print, seems the only way to have one is via the net. Hell, I recommend the Euphoria Morning to all you guys!!!

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
lordoflight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 05:11

I've only heard Cant Change me from Euphoria morning and its really great. I've been thinking about buying the album lately.

Temple of the Dog are really good, there only release has no bad songs on it and the duet between Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell on Hunger Strike is amazing.

Also check out Mother Love Bone - the band whose singer died of an overdose and thus spawned  Temple of the Dog as a tribute. Listen to their 8 minute epic Chloe Dancer - Crown of Thorns. Too bad their singer died so young.

However, the best Grunge supergroup must be Mad Season - comprising Layne Staley of Alice in Chains, Mark Lanegan, Pearl Jam's Mike mcCready, Barrett Martin of Screaming Trees (who btw are also a good group and are led by one of my favourite singers - Mark Lanegan) and a friend of theirs John Baker Saunders (who unfortunately died of and overdose soon after, as did Staley). They only released one album which, although made by grunge musicians, is not grunge at all - just plain rock. I would recommend this album to anybody - November Hotel is a 7 minute Hendrix inspired instrumental, Wake Up, River of Deceit, All Alone, and Long Gone Day are beautiful ballalds (the latter containing a spectacular sax solo which is heard much better on their live bootleg Season's Greetings).

ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 22:25

Loved and still love Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone and Temple Of The Dog.

Loved, but lost interest in Pearl Jam.

Never could stand Nirvana, except for one song, Lithium.

Bitterly disappointed by Audioslave, the RATM/Soundgarden mix doesn't work at all imo.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12