Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtheist prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 21:38
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Originally posted by Slayer! Slayer! wrote:

Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

What the hell would you classify as being "Athiest Prog"?

I don't know. Any bands that are atheists?

John Lennon song imagine has a line "imagine there is no heavan." Although Lennon is not prog the Beatles are Proto Prog, he must have had some atheist lyrics somewhere, after all he did say he was bigger than Jesus

No, not again this trash about Beatles vs Jesus. I don't care about jesus, but Lennon's phrase was an answer to a journalist that only means that, at some time in the 60's, most people in the world have heard about the beatles than of Jesus Christ. No merit's judgement involved (by the way, I think that The Beatles are far better than JC). Only stupid north-americans from the Christian Belt repeats this kind of bulsh*t today. 

Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:06

I'm sorry I upset you, I don't know what you mean by the Beatles being better than Jesus?, as in what way? as in music?, transforming western society?, defining the underlining rationale behind human rights?, stopping child sacrifice?, stopping slavery. Tell me who did more for society ? Who is better?

By the way I am not american I'm a New Zealander one of the most secular countries in the world thankyou very much.

int_2375 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:06

This is just something I've noticed, but alot of musicians tend not to associate themselves with any particular religion, especially many prog musicians.  Some are agnostic, some atheist.  Considering some of Meshuggah's lyrics, the writer of the lyrics was probably one of the two.  I know the members of Tool say they do not associate with any religion.  The band Atheist is mostly likely atheist...

I don't know for sure, it seems religous beliefs aren't a common topic in prog as they are in metal.

Lyrics like "Imagine there is no heaven, no hell below us." from John Lennon and the lyrics to Tool's Parabol/a seem to suggest one form of atheism or another, althought there are other ways to read it. 

Cheesecakemouse, you have to take into account that Jesus is a mythical figure, and in the sense that we know the Beatles existed, they are better.

Edited by int_2375
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by int_2375 int_2375 wrote:

This is just something I've noticed, but alot of musicians tend not to associate themselves with any particular religion, especially many prog musicians.  Some are agnostic, some atheist.  Considering some of Meshuggah's lyrics, the writer of the lyrics was probably one of the two.  I know the members of Tool say they do not associate with any religion.  The band Atheist is mostly likely atheist...

I don't know for sure, it seems religous beliefs aren't a common topic in prog as they are in metal.

Lyrics like "Imagine there is no heaven, no hell below us." from John Lennon and the lyrics to Tool's Parabol/a seem to suggest one form of atheism or another, althought there are other ways to read it. 

Cheesecakemouse, you have to take into account that Jesus is a mythical figure, and in the sense that we know the Beatles existed, they are better.

Very good point. It does seem that religion is not very closely associated with prog.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:14

Sorry that is too contentious for me to answer, there is too much debate in the intellectual world whether Jesus existed or mythical, I don't wish to get drawn into long winded debate over the existence of Christ, this is beyond the scope of the forum.

Anyway I theink Magma was quite religious with the wholoe kobian thing

int_2375 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:22
I have no intention of drawing you into a debate of whether Jesus existed, the fact is nobody knows for sure, but we're pretty damn sure the Beatles existed.  That was my only point.  There's nothing contentious about the fact that we don't know whether there was a Jesus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:24

I have no intention of drawing you into a debate of whether Jesus existed, the fact is nobody knows for sure, but we're pretty damn sure the Beatles existed.  That was my only point.  There's nothing contentious about the fact that we don't know whether there was a Jesus.

Ok sure

coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:36

I was just wondering, are there any atheist prog bands? There has to be some.

Oh and I assume Opeth and Meshuggah are....so don't say them. While on the topic, is anyone here Atheist?

I don't know what made me think of this one...boredom i guess.

Yeah, look up the lyrics to Meshuggah's "Terminal Illusions." It seems that lead singer Jens Kidman is an uber-athiest, haha. I don't know if you could speak for the rest of the band though. As for Opeth, I have no clue, given that I haven't even heard their music.

OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
int_2375 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:40
Originally posted by coffeeintheface coffeeintheface wrote:

I was just wondering, are there any atheist prog bands? There has to be some.

Oh and I assume Opeth and Meshuggah are....so don't say them. While on the topic, is anyone here Atheist?

I don't know what made me think of this one...boredom i guess.

Yeah, look up the lyrics to Meshuggah's "Terminal Illusions." It seems that lead singer Jens Kidman is an uber-athiest, haha. I don't know if you could speak for the rest of the band though. As for Opeth, I have no clue, given that I haven't even heard their music.

Yeah those are the exact lyrics I was thinking of when I said the Meshuggah lyricist is mostly likely atheist.  http://www.meshuggah.net/disco/dei/08/index.html

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:44
^ Yeah those lyrics.......make it......a little obvious
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:51
David Gilmour is an atheist, as he stated in a recent interview for On An Island. Also you can tell by his lyrics in This Heaven, "So break the bread and pour the wine/I need no blessings but I'm counting mine."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:57

Wow! I would have never Gilmour was an atheist.

I always assume everyone believes in something, even if it is money or power, etc.

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 23:24

Wow! I would have never Gilmour was an atheist.

I always assume everyone believes in something, even if it is money or power, etc.

I know, I found it surprising too. Here is a quote from MOJO Magazine Interview
OK. But are you religious?

No, Atheist. I've never had religion. I'd preffer it if I did really. Even as a boy I just couldn't make myself believe. Mortality was on my mind since I was 13.

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 23:32
Rush lyrics piont toward something like atheism. At least towards anti-organized religion. Also Jethro Tull has some anti religious(christian?) sentiments.  Yes might be atheists or devout christians...who can tell with those lyrics! I am an existentialist but I tend towards atheism.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 23:49

Rush does have some humanistic/secular lyrics I found Permanent Waves to be the case, but doesn't Geddy Lee wear the Star of David around his neck, whether for cultural or religious I don't know.

Yes seem to believe in everything, while Rick Wakeman left because he thought they had become too new age, which is funny since I saw a Rick Wakeman "new age" CD in a bargain bin in a music store, it was all about star signs etc.

Jethro Tull was not anti-christian, just against the church institution. If you listen to aqualung you will find out he is very explicit in his faith God.

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 00:03

Jethro Tull was not anti-christian, just against the church institution. If you listen to aqualung you will find out he is very explicit in his faith God.

Yeah, and Back-door Angels definitely seems to mock God (or people's perceptions of God): "Think I'll sit down and invent some fool, some grand court jester."
I'm aethiest, by the way.

Edited by lunaticviolist
My recent purchases:
HeirToRuin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 00:33
I'm an atheist scientist in my real life.

The most obvious choice to me is Pain of Salvation. 
Laurent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 00:42
I'm Agnostic. But I consider myself as close to an atheist as one can be, withought actually being one.

Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 07:11
DEICIDE
just joking

Ok, let me see...
Maybe

ATHEIST
CYNIC
SADIST (nice names aren't they? )
THEORY IN PRACTICE
SPIRAL ARCHITECT
MEKONG DELTA
WATCHTOWER
also TOOL has pretty anti-religious song Opiate, but it's not against God but church.

these bands seem atheists.
Weasels ripped my flesh
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 07:33

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Zappa here.

"Dumb All Over"
"The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"
"Heavenly Bank Account"
Are all aimed at the religious.

And Todd Rundgren's "Eastern Intrigue" could put him on the list.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>