Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtheist prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 21:11
Thanks for posting that Peart letter. That was great. Makes me  want to read his non Rush writting even more.

Jethro Tull... Someone said Ians beliefe in christ was fact, someone said he is an atheist. how bout some documentation (other than the obvious song lyrics). I always fancied him an old world celtic mythos believer.

Did no one follow the link to the gospel of FSM? We've  got to get moving on these eyepatches before the polar ice caps melt and drown us all.

Laurent, I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't come up with a tactful was to say it. Good job.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 21:15

Originally posted by Flyingsod Flyingsod wrote:

Thanks for posting that Peart letter. That was great. Makes me  want to read his non Rush writting even more.

Jethro Tull... Someone said Ians beliefe in christ was fact, someone said he is an atheist. how bout some documentation (other than the obvious song lyrics). I always fancied him an old world celtic mythos believer.

Did no one follow the link to the gospel of FSM? We've  got to get moving on these eyepatches before the polar ice caps melt and drown us all.

Laurent, I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't come up with a tactful was to say it. Good job.

I'm pretty sure Ian Anderson is a theist. He just belives that religon is not really a blessing and it gets between man and god. That is the topic of the song 'My God'.

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 21:24
Originally posted by man@arms man@arms wrote:

Well stated!  I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread, probably because I too am an atheist.  I came from a Christian family and even though I tried going to church on several occasions it was always an effort to force myself to believe in any of it.  My rationale being that believing in God or Christ was no different than believing in the Loch Ness Monster or the Tooth Fairy.  It is just fantasy and make believe.  I am more scientific in that I want hard evidence.  However I do believe that life exists outside of planet earth, though I have no proof.  But, the universe is so vast and complex how could life not exist elsewhere?  Of course this is just me going on another tangent. 

Thanks. Id like hard evidence also. something coded into the nature of the universe would be cool. If you've read the book 'Contact' by carl sagan and (oops forgot her name) you know what I mean. In the book during the contact with the alien being we are told that in the calculation for pie can be found the code for a circle, pie being mathmatics about the measurment of a circle... hard coded evidence of an intentional design of the universe. Left out of the movie of course which really had an almost  opposite message from the book. That's hollywood for ya though.

I think in the end for us scientificly minded types it comes down to probabilities. It's just more likely that there is life on other planets that for a specific creation myth to be true. So its easy to have faith in things that are probable. Btw did you get caught up in the discovery of liquid water on Io? I'm not convinced it's all that important but its still pretty cool.
Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 22:14
Originally posted by coffeeintheface coffeeintheface wrote:

Yeah, look up the lyrics to Meshuggah's "Terminal Illusions." It seems
that lead singer Jens Kidman is an uber-athiest, haha. I don't know if
you could speak for the rest of the band though. As for Opeth, I have
no clue, given that I haven't even heard their music.

Hey just out of curiosity, are you the same coffee in the face as is on youtube.com? I think you're the one who posted himself playing Red? I am Rocinante on that site and I think I just commented recently on your vid.

I knew I had seen that nickname before!

Sorry for O/T. I ain't touching this topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345