Topic ClosedWishbone Ash at the Mean Fiddler 07/04/06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishbone Ash at the Mean Fiddler 07/04/06
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:52

Well they say a band should look like they're having fun when they're playing, and last night Wishbone Ash certainly seemed like they were very relaxed and enjoying themselves, along with a packed Mean Fiddler. My first visit to this "new" venue, at 165 Charing Cross Road, literally just round the corner from Tottenham Court Road tube station, proved a very rewarding visit. Compared to London's Hammersmith Apollo, which i visited last June to see "Kings of Leon" (a bloody bear garden, narrowly escaped with my life!) the Mean Fiddler is much smaller place, though is a lot better as you can actually see the group properly! This was my first Ash concert,  i arrived early, bought a pint and as luck would have it i found a spot right at the edge of the stage well before the boys came on, to rapturous applause. "There's always something special about a big London gig. All musicians respond to the vibe a London show brings" Andy was quoted as saying on the Wishbone Ash web site, and he was spot on. It seemed the audience (very mixed, to my surprise, as Andy Powell had described a Wishbone Ash gig as a "boy's night out"!) were already won over from the start, especially as they rocked straight into a very tight, polished set of songs, including old favourites "warrior", "the king will come", "throw down the sword" and one of my special favourites "pilgrim". there were songs included from the 80's and 90's which i was not too familiar with, and they included a song called "Healing Ground" from the new album  "Clan Destiny "which i was of course totally unfamiliar with - it's difficult to judge a new song on its first hearing but everybody seemed very impressed - looking forward to that new cd! (they were selling them at the gig but i couldn't get near there let alone buy any thing). i was very impressed with the tight guitar interplay from the brilliant Andy Powell using, during the show, two Flying Vee's and a strat, and excellent Muddy Manninen, with his Les Paul. Muddy only in name definitely not his playing! also a very solid performance from a smiling Bob Skeat on bass (thought he was going to fall over me at one point) and rock steady drumming from Ray Weston. Some amazing playing, especially during the extended jam "Phoenix" - "see you in twenty minutes" Andy announced, though it only seemed like ten. There were songs included from the 80's and 90's which i was not too familiar with. a rousing version of "Almighty Blues" from the album "Bona Fide" was included, and the set finished with "Blowin' Free" sung mostly by the crowd (and one other song i should have known the lyrics to but didn't!) . Overall a thoroughly enjoyable "boys night out" which i hope i will repeat next time the "boys" are back in town!

Edited by mystic fred
Prog Archives Tour Van
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:49
I agree with your reveiw which is great by the way I saw them at Cox's Yard in Stratford & they were truly amazing! Best i've seen them in a long while
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 15:53

cheers mate!Thumbs Up

Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply