Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJane’s Addiction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jane’s Addiction
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 15:21
A lot of you might say Jane's Addiction is more 'X' rock, ie grunge/hardcore/punk/goth/art rock/pop, but I have been re-listening to a few of their albums and most of their songs are (to me at least) just as progressive as most of the artists listed here on this site.

I mean, if a band like Kino can have a spot on here, why can't Jane's Addiction?

Anybody with me on this one?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 15:30
Oh, I woudn't say that. JA has some prog tendentcies ("Three Days"), but I personally think they fit in beter with the alternative/funk genre with RHCP.
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Oh, I woudn't say that. JA has some prog tendentcies ("Three Days"), but I personally think they fit in beter with the alternative/funk genre with RHCP.

I disagree. Strays is a heavily progressive album filled with tonal and mood changes; the songs are constantly shifting and evolving as they go.

(trying to think of more to say on this subject)
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 17:03
no.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 17:28

Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

I disagree. Strays is a heavily progressive album filled with tonal and mood changes; the songs are constantly shifting and evolving as they go.

I didn't like the first half of that album when I first heard it. It was too polished and resembled little of early Jane's Addiction.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 20:00

Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

I didn't like the first half of that album when I first heard it. It was too polished and resembled little of early Jane's Addiction.

My thoughts exactly. In truth, it could be that I haven't listened to it enough (I think I still have it at home, so I guess I could give it another listen in the next couple of weeks). It sounded like it had way too little personality, unlike Ritual de lo Habitual (sp?) which is just amazing

Prog, though? I can see lots of prog fans liking them (those not still living in the 1970s, that is ) and I think they were a very talented band, but... not prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply