FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf Steve Walsh was replaced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Steve Walsh was replaced
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 21:38

First off I have to say Steve Walsh is my favourite vocalist, but Quite a lot of people are complaining about his strained vocals of late and would prefer to see him  only as the Kansas keyboardist. If they were to get another vocalist who do you think would be a good replacement.

I was listening to Enchant today and the vocalist sounds a lot like the 70´s Steve Walsh. I think he would be a perfect substitute.

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 21:45
I wonder what Brad Delp is doing these days...
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:10

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

He can't hit the high notes anymore either.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:16
Personally, I think Steve still sounds great.  He's not the same vocalist he was years ago (and I don't mean this in a negative way, he just has a different sound/style now), but he still does an amazing job.
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:34

His vocals on Icarus 2 are amazing, I know what you mean. He has a very emotional voice that is almost impossible to replace. I have been a Kansas fan for decades, but when I heard the vocalist of Enchant, it reminded me of Steve Walsh´s voice when he really hit those high notes.

I would like to know what other Kansas fans think of the vocalist of Enchant.

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:42
Ted Leonard from Enchant could do the job , but that would leave Enchant is a bit of a mess ? thats another issue     What Kansas needs is to keep Steve walsh where he is , but Steve Walsh to sing within his range and never try to push it , its only when Steve over does things people get annoyed. I for one wouldn`t be happy if Steve just played keys I still think he has so much to offer , sure his voice has changed but that doesn`t mean its time to throwe in the towell , hes still far better singer than most prog bands have , the trick is to keep him aware that his voice isn`t what it was , perhaps even listen to some lay back prog efforts like "Marbles" from Marillion or Porcupine Tree`s "dead wing" to get some ideas on how to apply his new voice for the best effect 
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:44
I bought Juggling 9 and Live At Last and neither did a thing for me. On
the live disc the singer (Ted Leonard, I believe?) seemed to sing at the
very edge of his capabilities throughout. There were no variations and I
found him (as well as the music) to be quite boring. I'd just as soon keep
Walsh than get Leonard.

I bought Walsh's Shadowman and I find it to be quite excellent...and very
heavy. His voice isn't quite the same, but still better than a lot out there.

To be honest, I'd like to see Elefante come back, if there wasn't Walsh. I
liked both Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures and would like to have
seen what could've happened with a third disc with Elefante. I've got two
of his Christian CD's and the man still has a great voice. Hasn't lost
anything.

Just my two cents.

E
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:51

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I bought Juggling 9 and Live At Last and neither did a thing for me. On
the live disc the singer (Ted Leonard, I believe?) seemed to sing at the
very edge of his capabilities throughout. There were no variations and I
found him (as well as the music) to be quite boring. I'd just as soon keep
Walsh than get Leonard.

I bought Walsh's Shadowman and I find it to be quite excellent...and very
heavy. His voice isn't quite the same, but still better than a lot out there.

To be honest, I'd like to see Elefante come back, if there wasn't Walsh. I
liked both Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures and would like to have
seen what could've happened with a third disc with Elefante. I've got two
of his Christian CD's and the man still has a great voice. Hasn't lost
anything.

Just my two cents.

E
Kansasfan .com did an interview with Jon Elafante recently and hes indicated that hes a little interested still in what Kansas are doing , but there is a problem with bringing him back and thats he is perhaps more Christian orientated with his music these days then ever! I recently purchased his defying gravity CD just for interest and it was completely Christian rock. Sure Jon had a good voice but as a personalty he just wouldn`t fit in to Kansas and I think he knows it.   

Just for my own two cents worth if I was going to have to say who I`d like to join kansas as a lead singer say hypertheticaly it would be Russel Alan from Symphony X  ... but thats just my idea of what would work

Edited by Masque
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 22:54

Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

Personally, I think Steve still sounds great.  He's not the same vocalist he was years ago (and I don't mean this in a negative way, he just has a different sound/style now), but he still does an amazing job.

No man, I'm one of the most diehard Kansas fans here, but I sae on TV the Kansas presentation in Viña del Mar less than one month ago.

IT WAS PAINFUL

The guy couldn't even reach medium ranges, Dust in the Wind was going to be sung by Robbie Steinhardt, as a fact he sang the fist two words, but Steve jumped inside and Robbie's face was evident.

He wasn't able to sing a complete line without all the veins in his face pumping off.

Steve shouldn't sing anymore unless the band plays two or three tones bellopw the normal, and that's impossible, maybe one or two songs.

But his replacement in vocals doesn't have to sound like him, they should search for a good vocalist able to follow the band, he can do low backing while playing keyboards and sing one or two tracks, but no more.

Masque wrote:

Quote Kansasfan .com did an interview with John Elafante recently and hes indicated that hes a little interested still in what Kansas are doing , but there is a problem with bringing him back and thats he is perhaps more Christian orientated with his music these days then ever! I recently purchased his defying gravity CD just for interest and it was completely Christian rock. Sure John had a good voice but as a personalty he just wouldn`t fit in to Kansas and I think he knows it.   

I believe this is impossible, Steve and Robby rejoined Kansas only when John left, their position was clear, the band lost identity without  Steve and Robby. (After the last minute edit bellow, they can't loose Steve, David Ragsdale will do a great work with violin, but without Stee and Robby, there's no Kansas).

I don't believe Phil Ehart would be pleased, because John and Kerry left the band when the boat was sinking, and the two remaining members (Phil and Rich) were left alone with a contract to honor.

In that moment Steve came back and brought Billy Greer, they can forgive Kerry because he's a life tkme friend, but I'm sure not John.

Last minute EDIT: Robby Steinhardt left Kansas and will be replaced by the former violin player David Ragsdale:

Quote Updated 4-4-06

David Ragsdale Welcomed
into Kansas Lineup

The band KANSAS would like to bring finality to our recent member change. After a mutual decision to separate, KANSAS wishes Robby Steinhardt only the best for his career and life.

KANSAS takes this opportunity to welcome David Ragsdale to the band and we look forward to an exciting and creative future.

And as always, we thank our fans for their continued support.

http://www.kansasband.com/currentnews.html 

Seems his face in Chile when Steve started to sing was not just a wrong perception I had.

Now they're in deep trouble, Robby did many lead vocals, and even when Dave Ragsdale is an outstanding violin player, he can't replace Robby's vocals.

Now they need two vocalists.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 23:21
I`ll be honest I`m so happy david ragsdale is coming back !  he is so talented  .. this news has made my day      Now all they need is a couple of singers and theres one that comes to mind that can sing a bit like Robby and a bit like Steve   and its Jake Livgren     Kerry Livgren`s nephew.  the only trouble is hes doing some work with Proto Kaw,  after listening to this Guys voice I believe its a match with what Kansas is about.

Edited by Masque
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 23:30
Ragsdale is brilliant(as is Robby) and does a really wild solo on Black Fathom 4. I am one of the few who really loves Freaks of Nature.
KansasRushDream View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 23:49

I think Robby Steinhardt would be a great replacement. Oh wait nevermind he's not in the band anymore...

As for a serious idea at who a good replacement would be... I dunno. John Arch is available. lol Wouldn't really fit Kansas all too well though. If I could put anyone in the band though it would be Russell Allen of Symphony X. He sounds a lot like Walsh at times (parts of the song "The Odyssey" come to mind) and is a superb singer overall. I think that Kansas should just disband now though because I am really not looking forward to anything new they might release in the future. They should all split up and form different bands (maybe a Steve/Robby combo? That'd be cool!). But yeah getting back on topic I'd like to see Russell Allen take his spot if anyone had to. I like Steve's voice on Somewhere to Elsewhere though so whatever...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:15
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

He can't hit the high notes anymore either.

Maybe he has a sister who could also play violin?

Seriously, I think these guys seem to have a fairly narrow and well-defined circle of friends.  What about someone like Jack Blades from Night Ranger/Damn Yankees?  I guess they don't really need another bass player though.  Another Night Ranger guy could be Jeff Watson.  He plays guitar pretty darn well too, and he's done a few things with Walsh in the studio before.

How about Sammy Hagar?

Albert Camus
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:27

^^^^

Sammy Hagar is stretching things a bit!LOL

Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:35
Slightly off topic-I just heard Dream Theater covered Paradox.
soundspectrum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:38
dude, the guy from boston or even steve perry...mostly steve perry cause he has a similar range...but most of all his name is steve.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:46

Originally posted by soundspectrum soundspectrum wrote:

dude, the guy from boston or even steve perry...mostly steve perry cause he has a similar range...but most of all his name is steve.

dude, the guy from Boston is Brad Delp (see above).

And even Boston has a female to help out with the high notes now (http://www.bandboston.com/kimdob.htm).

Edited by ClemofNazareth

Albert Camus
soundspectrum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 00:50
its all good...i never really got to know boston. im sorry for that lack of knowledge lol
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 01:00

its all good...i never really got to know boston. im sorry for that lack of knowledge lol

Delp is probably the only other non-surgically altered male singer I've ever heard hit notes like Walsh used to be able to.  Apparently neither of them can now.

And check that link out on the chick who's singing for Boston now.  Jeez! Her bio -

"Kimberley received "all kind of awards in elementary school, learned ballet, and cared for children." "

"Kimberley recorded her first record with Larry Love at the age of 13-14.  The record never went on sale though. "

"Kimberley was President of her Class in High School, and did many things.  In her 2nd year, she was honored with 2 pages in her High School Yearbook "

"Kimberley enjoys white asparagus..."

"While recording the "Corporate America" album, Kimberley would take time out to visit needy children."

"Kimberley "loves to wear black because it's slimming."

Who gives a crap?!  Someone seriously needs a better publicist...  

Albert Camus
silversaw View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 11:29

Delp is probably the only other non-surgically altered male singer I've ever heard hit notes like Walsh used to be able to.  Apparently neither of them can now.

And check that link out on the chick who's singing for Boston now.  Jeez! Her bio -

Jeez...is Boston really even trying anymore??  I don't know what I was thinking the day I bought Corporate America, but I know what I was thinking when I took it back!!!!  Boston is over, plain and simple, life goes on.  As far as Kansas, Steve Walsh is the only singer for this band.  When Elephante took over, the band suffered!!!  Now with Robby Steinhardt gone I think Kansas is unfortunately going to be one of those bands that just keeps playing their hits to small audiences in dark bars.  I saw them 3 years running and am going to see them again this August...the last 3 times were a letdown...seriously.  I love Steve Walsh and I love Kansas and I'd like to see them make an album as strong as Somewhere To Elsewhere...but I don't see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>