Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOrphaned Land

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orphaned Land
    Posted: April 09 2006 at 15:03

So many prog metal bands sound like they are all imitating Symphony X and Dream Theater that itīs great to see a band like Orphaned Land that sounds original and fresh. I donīt know why but bands like POS and Tool just donīt do it for me. Itīs strange because those are 2 bands that most people think are fantastic (Maybe I must listen to a bit more)

If you havenīt heard Orphaned Land yet, they have 5 mp3īs to download on their site

http://www.orphaned-land.com/

They come from Israel and I would like to know what other people here think of them.

Herman H. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 15:13
I discovered Orphaned Land via 'Prog Lucky's' collaborators section. I found great similarities between his and mine musical taste.

'Mabool' is the only album I have and cannot be easy classified. Although listed as Prog Metal, it's more a blend of Prog Folk, Prog Metal and Symphonic. It's a sort of progressic rock opera with loner and shorter songs. Songs in Hebrew and English, fine male / female sections, than rough voices without annoying growling. 'Western style music combined with Middle-East sounds.

Therion comes most close I think. But 'Mabool' is one of my all-time favourites.

Thanks Prog Lucky for your tip. Where else can we find music like this than on Prog Archives ?

Herman H.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 15:19
I've discovered them yesterday... marvelous band! So weird, original and unique... but still catchy and memorable!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 16:35
I know them since their Sahara album. Loved them ever since. But don't expect their previous releases to sound like Mabool (pouring rain). It is more death metal with oriental flavours. Mabool is an excellent release and it has received accolades worldwide as one of the best metal albums of that year. The band itself has been through a lot during the 7 year disbanded status between their previous album and this one (one member became religious, Vocalist Kobi Farchi was in India on a spiritual search and drug education and another one Yossi Sasi became a software engineer for Microsoft, got married and has a little girl). Mabool is quite different from El-Nora Alila and Sahara, but they are nonetheless good albums. I recommend to get the version of Mabool that has the extra cd with the acoustic version containing 5 songs. Excellent show and interpretation of the songs (among them a medley of several of their songs and a remake to two Paradise lost songs brought into one song - Mercy and Gothic).
walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 16:38

I discovered them about a year ago. Great band along with Kayo Dot the 2 most original Prog- Metal bands IMO

Edit: Im not sure If they count as prog but another good band who have a similar sound are Rudra

Edited by walrus333
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 18:59

I like "Mabool" very very much.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
hamham View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 21:59
Mabool is one of my favorite albums as well, and as far as further recommendations go, I really like a group called Anthemon and their album Kadavreski.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 22:04
Mabool is a seriously impressive album, one of the most creative prog-metal releases in quite awhile.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 15:28
Yes, it's a good band. Some days ago I saw them on TV. The songs I've headr from then have nice guitar solos
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 15:29
But the growls.........
 Post Reply Post Reply