Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNOVEMBRE’s MATERIA - out now!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOVEMBRE’s MATERIA - out now!
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 13:20

Novembre's 5th original album Materia is out!

For those unfamiliar with the group's sound, they are among the 90's pioneers of emotional type of Progressive Metal with mellow parts, together with groups like Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride and Edge Of Sanity. Not really sounding like any of the groups mentioned above, they have their own unique sound that seems to evolve and is in a different form on the newest release - "Materia".

I would suggest to begin with "Novembrine Waltz" or "Arte Novecento", however the new release is more accessible, laid-back, but still a masterpiece on its own.

-- Ivan

Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 13:24
I've heard Materia, and it absolutely blew me away.
What an awesome sound & great vocalist does this band have!

If you like Opeth, I can't believe you wouldn't like this. I've also heard that the older releases consist of more screams like Akerfeldt does with Opeth? I haven't heard anything else but Materia, so can't judge that one....

Edit; and by the way: why isn't this band on PA yet?

Edited by Man Made God

Focus on the music... Focus!
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 13:40

Originally posted by Man Made God Man Made God wrote:

They are.   http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2456

I know there's not much to dig there yet, so I'll try to review some of their albums in the close future. I suggest everyone to do join me as well, spreading the word around.

Their earlier releases, indeed, do have more growling than on Materia - especially on Classica. It is accompanied with melodic progressive riffings though, early Opeth/Crimsonesque EoS style, so it is pretty enjoyable nonetheless. I suggest you check out Novembrine Waltz next - it has their most brilliant songs, although I wouldn't say the album works as a complete piece.

-- Ivan

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 14:23
Where can I buy these albums?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 14:56

I suppose finding Materia could be easy since they are with Peaceville now. As for everything else, it's a bit hard, because they were(and still are)obscure. Amazong doesn't offer much - http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_artist_1_1/002-337048 4-0910460?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-alias=popular&fiel d-artist=Novembre

You can also order Arte Novecente at their official website... See the Merchandise page! Actually, that's a great idea!

-- Ivan

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 15:08
Too bad ... www.emusic.com lists many Peaceville artists, but not Novembre.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:10
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

They are.   http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2456

I know there's not much to dig there yet, so I'll try to review some of their albums in the close future. I suggest everyone to do join me as well, spreading the word around.

Their earlier releases, indeed, do have more growling than on Materia - especially on Classica. It is accompanied with melodic progressive riffings though, early Opeth/Crimsonesque EoS style, so it is pretty enjoyable nonetheless. I suggest you check out Novembrine Waltz next - it has their most brilliant songs, although I wouldn't say the album works as a complete piece.

-- Ivan

HUH, since when are they on PA. I checked a couple of days ago, and couldn't find anything... My bad I guess.

I will definately check out the older albums, because the growling really attracts me in this kind of music, allthough it has to sound pretty perfect to match, in my opinion.

I will definately try to join you when I get a hold of 'Materia', or any other material. Considering I'm not the greatest writer, or reviewer, I'll have to think about that one though...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:17
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Too bad ... www.emusic.com lists many Peaceville artists, but not Novembre.

I just found their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/novembre1
Not the best quality, no complete clips, but I couldn't find anything better...

I absolutely LOVE their artwork by the way.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 00:43

Actually, honestly speaking, Mike added Novembre not a long time ago and I added their discography yesterday.

By the way, I recommended to start with Arte..., which I kind of regret. It is their least accessible album, although not really in the proggy sense. The death growls are also absent(although you can hear somewhat strange "singing" in the background of the first track), and the album is not as earth-shatteringly well-written as their later stuff. It's one of the moody albums which grow on you if you "get" the mood or you just don't get them at all. I do suggest that you start either with the latest or even better Novembrine Waltz and then explore their other releases.

-- Ivan

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 08:44
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

Actually, honestly speaking, Mike added Novembre not a long time ago and I added their discography yesterday.

Ah, that explains! I thought I was going mad

Quote By the way, I recommended to start with Arte..., which I kind of regret. It is their least accessible album, although not really in the proggy sense. The death growls are also absent(although you can hear somewhat strange "singing" in the background of the first track), and the album is not as earth-shatteringly well-written as their later stuff. It's one of the moody albums which grow on you if you "get" the mood or you just don't get them at all. I do suggest that you start either with the latest or even better Novembrine Waltz and then explore their other releases.

-- Ivan

Well, I've got some 'samples' here of Novembrine Waltz (paycheck is coming later this month, so then my samples will become somewhat more legal). When I have the chance (not this week I guess because of tests at school) and when I think it's good enough, I'll tru to add a review.

TheaterX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 13:37
Heard this album just a couple of days ago.  I was listening through a bunch of new cds and this one really took me by surprise.  It's really a great album.

The artwork for Materia is great, but does it remind anyone else of Final Fantasy VII?
Littlewashu5 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 17:06
Originally posted by TheaterX TheaterX wrote:

Heard this album just a couple of days ago.  I was listening through a bunch of new cds and this one really took me by surprise.  It's really a great album.

The artwork for Materia is great, but does it remind anyone else of Final Fantasy VII?

Well the name of the album is MATERIA........... 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 15:43
I love a lot all of their albums so far. I look forward to listening to this one.

Edited by avestin - April 23 2006 at 15:44
 Post Reply Post Reply