Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTakk...by Sigur Rós

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takk...by Sigur Rós
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:35
Now I have just heard this album that I bought yesterday for the...I think fourth time...well, I didn´t get to finish the fourth time...I had to stop in the middle because it was driving me crazy...
I thought I could take it, I knew they were experimental and something never heard before...I guess there is still much to learn to apretiate...Im not trying to say I dont like them, I hate them they suck or whatever...but somehow I had to tell this to somebody...
Its weird, because I ususally agree when it comes to good albums and bands...but this one goes a bit to far for me...I mean, there are practically no melodys (or common melodys that is)...it would be nice to hear notes...and not just sound...and the vocals, with the falceto...it´s a bit too much for me...and yet as Im writting this I want to listen to it again...just to see if I make that click and first of all understand and appretiate and second may agree with the rest of you who say this album is a that good...
I guess its such a particular music you can´t listen to it if you arent in a certain mood...maybe that had to do with my reaction...because I has driving my bike from the gym, so maybe some Dream Theater would have been better...
I don´t know how or what you can awser, if you had this sort of problem please do tell...but thanks for reading at least!!!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:48
It's not as good as Ageatis Byrjun, which I hail as a masterpiece, but it was one of the best releases of last year, and an overall excellent album.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:00
yeah its definitely one of those "mood" albums. Fantastic for relaxation and definite mood lifter IMO. I mean I literally fall asleep to this stuff cuz I find it so relaxing.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:01
Keep listening, it may take a while to appreciate. Takk is a marvelous album. Agaetis Byrjun, ( ), and Takk... are nearly equal in quality, but they all have certain strengths and differences.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:03
I think Takk is a good album to start because i wont make you sleepy like Agaetis Byrjum did to me the first time I heard them and the genre.
There must be atleast one song that you can like. My personal favorite is Saeglopur and when my friends want to hear something in my mp3 I give them that song to hear and most, if not, all like it.

Recomendation:
Try and listen to it at night, when your felling a little mellow and focus more on the atmosphere and emotion rather than the melodies.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:05
I read somewhere that they refer to this as their "rock" album, which is considerable because they never get too loud. I mean, ( ) the drummer seems to sit out half the time (til the end of course). But for some reason I instantly took a liking to them, which is odd considering I usually listen to loud stuff like Dream Theater, The Mars Volta (see the uncyclopedia page I did on them) and Fates Warning.

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:07

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

yeah its definitely one of those "mood" albums. Fantastic for relaxation and definite mood lifter IMO. I mean I literally fall asleep to this stuff cuz I find it so relaxing.

same here. that's the way i am with steven wilson's no-man. you have to listen to this music when you're in the mood for it. for instance trying to listen to Together We're Stranger or Aegetis Byrjun in the middle of the day just doesn't work. At least with Godspeed you've got those insane crescendos that will wake you up if you start to drift off.

I highly recommend never listening to Sigur Ros behind the wheel!

Great band but you've got to be in the mood. Give them more listens and you'll learn to appreciate it. And definitely grab Aegetis Byrjun it is absolutely brilliant. and if you like the genre make sure to check out Godspeed!

Edited by lightbulb_son
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:08
Steve Wilson is the man! Just thought I'd say that. Anyways, if you're riding a bike, might i recommend Bicycle Race by Queen?

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:13

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Steve Wilson is the man! Just thought I'd say that. Anyways, if you're riding a bike, might i recommend Bicycle Race by Queen?

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:58

Sigur Ros are like the perfect "mellow-out" band - better suited for lying around the house than for riding to the gym.  If you're looking for complex structures and what not, look elsewhere because the Siggies are all about mood and texture.

I agree with the others, "Agaetis byrjun" and "Takk..." are their best discs, and there may be a little more in the way of structure and melody to latch onto with "Agaetis".  But don't listen to "( )" if you're depressed.....

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 23:10

Takk.. great album... the second song reminds me my girlfriend

Seriously.. i think its a great album, some strange songs, with the always mystique voice and unique sound... great

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 00:13
Thanks guys!!! You have all been very helpfull...Ill make sure I give Takk...another spin...when the mood striks!!!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 21:11
Im finally getting itno it!!!
Yes...you were right...Im listenign to it now, calm...in the night while Im using the computer...its great!!!

Although for what I have read I think I would like () a bit more...
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 21:19
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Yes...you were right...Im listenign to it now, calm...in the night while Im using the computer...its great!!!

( ) is awesome. I can't say anything about Takk... because I just have Agaetis Byrjun and ( ). But I can tell you that ( ) is amazing. Especially the final 2 tracks... great stuff in those.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 07:48

I bought Takk last weekend and played it on the way home from work yesterday. It's definitely not the sort of music that you can fully appreciate on the Tube! I think I will grow to love it but it's more of a sitting down and chilling out to sort of album, in a similiar way to "Spirit of Eden". There are some great moments there, the one that strikes me so far is the one where the brass band comes in with a waltz at the end (I think it's track 4 or 5). Possibly the CD is a bit too long and samey, but still great.

krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:35
I think the best way to listen to takk is with headphones in a dark room.

My favorite track on there at the moment is mílanó, just love it.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by Meddler Meddler wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

( ) is awesome. I can't say anything about Takk... because I just have Agaetis Byrjun and ( ). But I can tell you that ( ) is amazing. Especially the final 2 tracks... great stuff in those.

( ) Is way more slower, darker, moodier and emotional (in a sad way). IMO Agaetis Byrjum, ( ) and Takk are equally good and all have different sound but I prefer Takk because of the power that album releases. But when I'm feeling sad or I just want to listen to not so stressful music I listen to ( ) although the last 2 songs they let it all out and play like if they where very mad

Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:36

Try getting into them through the album... that I haven't learned how to spell. People always ask for more accessible way of getting into groups, but I was always a follower of the theory that the best introduction should be group's most excellent, earth-shattering album.

I admit this isn't the case with all groups in the archives, because very often group's best album is their least accessible one, but it works for Sigur Ros just right, I think.

-- Ivan

Post Reply Post Reply