Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlert ! Bogus reviewer still at large !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alert ! Bogus reviewer still at large !
    Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:13
I just noticed a string or newly posted reviews that need some investigation heres a snippet of what I noticed >>> 
RUSH Moving Pictures progressive rock album and reviews Art Rock
(Studio Album, 1981)
Avg: 4.50/5
from --- ratings
RUSH "Moving Pictures"
1 stars by frank
While this is not my favorite Rush album,and it certainly dosn't deserves the overall rating of masterpiece that it has recieved on this site, its ok. When I started working through the top 25 reviews on this site, this album was barely in the top 20. Now, it has jumped to number 8. Well deserved. Besides the radio hits (Tom Sawyer and Limelight) this album is conprized of bad songs. In fact, the only one I like is Tom Sawyer, and that is mostly due to having heard it WAY too many times. Side 2 is where the really interesting material is, that most people are not really familiar with. The Camera Eye is one of the best Rush songs ever, butthe songs Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are not well worth hearing. An overall crap album. A solid 0, but I'll have to round to 1.

Posted Wednesday, April 19, 2006, 01:02 EST | Permanent link

RUSH Moving Pictures progressive rock album and reviews Art Rock
(Studio Album, 1981)
Avg: 4.50/5
from --- ratings
RUSH "Moving Pictures"
1 stars by James
While this is not my favorite Rush album,and it certainly dosn't deserves the overall rating of masterpiece that it has recieved on this site, its ok. When I started working through the top 25 reviews on this site, this album was barely in the top 20. Now, it has jumped to number 8. Well deserved. Besides the radio hits (Tom Sawyer and Limelight) this album is conprized of bad songs. In fact, the only one I like is Tom Sawyer, and that is mostly due to having heard it WAY too many times. Side 2 is where the really interesting material is, that most people are not really familiar with. The Camera Eye is one of the best Rush songs ever, butthe songs Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are not well worth hearing. An overall crap album. A solid 0, but I'll have to round to 1.

The only differance is the name thats all ! these are not the only ones there.
This sort of antic surely must ruin the validity of what you try so hard to keep fair and accurate

Edited by Masque
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:15
whoa! aus with one! 
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:28
all of those  1star / 5star reviews are crap. There is clearly an abuse here. 

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:32
The reviews themselves are not abuse, except one needs to go. Also the rating is unjustified - he describes it as a 3-star album, not 1 at all
Progbear View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:32
I noticed this too. Someone just keeps reposting the same reviews under different screenames and gives the albums (I guess the Top 10 albums or somesuch) one-star ratings.
[IMG] http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/Progbear/fs/8/w/500/cp/2/s/5/si g.png">
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:33
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

all of those  1star / 5star reviews are crap. There is clearly an abuse here. 

now really
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 01:36
well im not really sure about the 5 star reviews but the 1 star clearly looks like abuse to me. But look at those reviews for Porcupine Tree.

edit: the 5 star reviews don't look that bad now trhat I see them clearly.

Edited by chamberry

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 02:18

well im not really sure about the 5 star reviews but the 1 star clearly looks like abuse to me. But look at those reviews for Porcupine Tree.

Well, you can't say ALL 1 star reviews are abuse There are horrible albums as well as there are masterpieces!

dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 02:25

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Well, you can't say ALL 1 star reviews are abuse There are horrible albums as well as there are masterpieces!

Yes, but ALL the one-star reviews lately (except for one) are for albums in the top 100. Most of them in the top 20. It's CLEARLY abuse going on. Unless you are in on it, it is very obvious...

Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 02:28
Originally posted by dalt99 dalt99 wrote:

Yes, but ALL the one-star reviews lately (except for one) are for albums in the top 100. Most of them in the top 20. It's CLEARLY abuse going on. Unless you are in on it, it is very obvious...

Yes, but so are 5-star reviews. There are few albums bad enough to be worth 1 star, and there are few perfect masterpieces.

These particulat two reviews follow the guidelines, and one of them will stay... it's all a matter of opinion.

Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 02:50
Those Porcupine Tree reviews can't possibly be by Mandrakeroot - his English isn't that good
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 02:52

Yes, but so are 5-star reviews. There are few albums bad enough to be worth 1 star, and there are few perfect masterpieces.

These particulat two reviews follow the guidelines, and one of them will stay... it's all a matter of opinion.

Miracle, I am not talking about a REAL review. If someone truly feels that Close to the Edge or Foxtrot is worth a ONE rating then that's fine. They can review it like anyone else can. I am talking about the reviews RIGHT NOW on the front page that are OBVIOUSLY copies of reviews of In the Court of the Crimson King that are placed on albums from OTHER band's such as Porcupine Tree and Jethro Tull. THOSE need to be removed. Not legitimate and real reviews. I don't care if they are 1 star or 5 star reviews, if they are fake, they need to be removed.

2007:
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:06
Actually, this is a problem with a site like PA when anyone can become a member, as many times as they like, and create all sorts of mischief. God knows why they should want to, but some people are like that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:19

Miracle, I am not talking about a REAL review. If someone truly feels that Close to the Edge or Foxtrot is worth a ONE rating then that's fine. They can review it like anyone else can. I am talking about the reviews RIGHT NOW on the front page that are OBVIOUSLY copies of reviews of In the Court of the Crimson King that are placed on albums from OTHER band's such as Porcupine Tree and Jethro Tull. THOSE need to be removed. Not legitimate and real reviews. I don't care if they are 1 star or 5 star reviews, if they are fake, they need to be removed.

Oh, if you mean current ones on the front page, you're absolutely right

Andrea(MANDRAKEROOT) is one of our best known un-reviewers, His English is far from being perfect, but usually he at least tries... I really don't know what happened to him today

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:38

Today when I opened the main page of PA I've seen lots of 1 stars reviews on about TaaB, Foxtrot, SEbtP ... the reviews are always the same...

I have seen that also there are a lot of reviews on Porcupine Tree written in this way:

PORCUPINE TREE Deadwing progressive rock album and reviews Psychedelic/Space Rock
(Studio Album, 2005)
Avg: 4.06/5
from --- ratings

PORCUPINE TREE "Deadwing"
1 stars by rem_bot357

FOREVER CLASSIC MUSIC OF THE XX CENTURY!!!

This is another album that a time listened to... It will do it enchant yourselves some Classic Music of XX Century! It is not of evening an album Symphonic, because has a lot pf sub genre inclusive in this eternal Masterpiece. That genius Robert Fripp!

"21st Century Schizoid Man including Mirrors" is a piece of Prog Metal (like a lot make note me), even if is too Prog! Large everything, but above all Fripp and Lake (listened to attentive the test of Giles at the drum, also), "I Talk To The Wind" is a sweet example of Pure Symphonic Prog, really immortal (is an of the better songs of the Crimson), "Epitaph including March For No Reason and Tomorrow And Tomorrow" is a piece to the VDGG that nevertheless can be put next to the pieces of Genesis (Gabriel Era), Gentle Giant without disfigure. And yet it is a song with a large personality! Besides it is totally different from "21st Century..." showing that the Prog has a lot (too much?) sub genre that often are alone variations of a same sub genre also to the inside of a same sub genre (hope to have expressed well the concept...). "Moonchild including The Dream and The Illusion" begins with a Jazz that in reality is not Jazz but Classic Music with a large work of Giles. Nevertheless then it it becomes too Psychedelic, improvvisation, Jazz free form, Futurism and Japanese music. Well, a sole many piece of Canterbury Scene! It Closes "The Court Of The Crimson king including The Return Of The Fire Witch and The Dance Of The Puppets" that return to the Hard Rock but if with enormous amounts of the Uriah Heep more Prog and an atmosphere a little one (but very little) more (and this is weird) cheerful.

That album, mister, that album! It does not seem not even carved in 1969!

For always yours, Mandrakeroot.

Mandrakeroot has changed his username, but this is not the problem.

Why he have posted 6 identical reviews on Porcupine Tree when the review is really about itotCK?

KING CRIMSon In The Court Of The Crimson King progressive rock album and reviews Art Rock
(Studio Album, 1969)
Avg: 4.48/5
from --- ratings
KING CRIMSON "In The Court Of The Crimson King"
1 stars by rem_bot357
FOREVER CLASSIC MUSIC OF THE XX CENTURY!!!

This is another album that a time listened to... It will do it enchant yourselves some Classic Music of XX Century! It is not of evening an album Symphonic, because has a lot pf sub genre inclusive in this eternal Masterpiece. That genius Robert Fripp!

"21st Century Schizoid Man including Mirrors" is a piece of Prog Metal (like a lot make note me), even if is too Prog! Large everything, but above all Fripp and Lake (listened to attentive the test of Giles at the drum, also), "I Talk To The Wind" is a sweet example of Pure Symphonic Prog, really immortal (is an of the better songs of the Crimson), "Epitaph including March For No Reason and Tomorrow And Tomorrow" is a piece to the VDGG that nevertheless can be put next to the pieces of Genesis (Gabriel Era), Gentle Giant without disfigure. And yet it is a song with a large personality! Besides it is totally different from "21st Century..." showing that the Prog has a lot (too much?) sub genre that often are alone variations of a same sub genre also to the inside of a same sub genre (hope to have expressed well the concept...). "Moonchild including The Dream and The Illusion" begins with a Jazz that in reality is not Jazz but Classic Music with a large work of Giles. Nevertheless then it it becomes too Psychedelic, improvvisation, Jazz free form, Futurism and Japanese music. Well, a sole many piece of Canterbury Scene! It Closes "The Court Of The Crimson king including The Return Of The Fire Witch and The Dance Of The Puppets" that return to the Hard Rock but if with enormous amounts of the Uriah Heep more Prog and an atmosphere a little one (but very little) more (and this is weird) cheerful.

That album, mister, that album! It does not seem not even carved in 1969!

For always yours, Mandrakeroot.

All these 1-star ratings makes me go crazy!!Angry
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:52
This must be one guy making mischief - I can't believe Mandrakeroot is doing this. There are now 4 names - James, frank, rem_bot357 and hardno_re all copying reviews and giving 1*.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:56
-------- (message removed by user)

Edited by Ricochet
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:58

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

In all fairness Ricochet, do we know for sure that Mandrakeroot is doing this or is this person just USING one of his ratings to copy on others. This person may have just picked Mandrakeroots review to use for his own as spam.

Edited by Atkingani
2007:
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 03:59
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

This must be one guy making mischief - I can't believe Mandrakeroot is doing this. There are now 4 names - James, frank, rem_bot357 and hardno_re all copying reviews and giving 1*.

I just looked up those 4 usernames in the memberlist and they don't exist. Have admin already removed them?

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 04:01

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

In all fairness Ricochet, do we know for sure that Mandrakeroot is doing this or is this person just USING one of his ratings to copy on others. This person may have just picked Mandrakeroots review to use for his own as spam.

--------- (reply removed by user)

Edited by Atkingani
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>