Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [16.67%]
25 [83.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 20:13
Hmm... "In Japan and Korea up to 10% of subscribers, as of January 2005, have switched from analog to digital telephone service. A recent Newsweek article suggested that Internet telephony may be "the next big thing." [2]" says Wikipedia. That's probably just whoever wrote it thinking that digital means "using computers", though, since I'd very much doubt Japan would be using such an old system.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 20:15
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Hmm... "In Japan and Korea up to 10% of subscribers, as of January 2005, have switched from analog to digital telephone service. A recent Newsweek article suggested that Internet telephony may be "the next big thing." [2]" says Wikipedia. That's probably just whoever wrote it thinking that digital means "using computers", though, since I'd very much doubt Japan would be using such an old system.

That's wikipedia ... the second sentence shows that they use "analog" as a synonym for "not-voip".
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 13:09
Tut tut.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 13:17

Tut tut.

Did you know that you can even buy ringtones for the busy sign nowadays?LOL
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:57
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by busy sign?
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 01:17
I can't vote on this one.
I will say this though. Anyone can enjoy music on any playback system you listen to but, the better the playback system the better the listening experience. I have a fairly expensive system and you bet it aids me in hearing the music and thus better enjoying the music. It's like a nice sports car enhances my driving experience.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 02:44

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by busy sign?

I just meant that in addition to the usual "ringtones" you can now install sounds that play why you're waiting for the other party to answer the call, or if the line is busy (the person you call is already on the phone with someone else).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 02:48
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

I will say this though. Anyone can enjoy music on any playback system you listen to but, the better the playback system the better the listening experience. I have a fairly expensive system and you bet it aids me in hearing the music and thus better enjoying the music. It's like a nice sports car enhances my driving experience.

would you say that if that expensive system was taken away from you that you couldn't really enjoy music anymore? BTW: I think that the sports car analogy is only partially valid, in my opinion the difference between cheap and expensive systems (like I defined them in the first post) is not as clearly measurable as the difference between cheap and expensive cars. But that's only me!
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 04:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

would you say that if that expensive system was taken away from you that you couldn't really enjoy music anymore? BTW: I think that the sports car analogy is only partially valid, in my opinion the difference between cheap and expensive systems (like I defined them in the first post) is not as clearly measurable as the difference between cheap and expensive cars. But that's only me!

If the expensive system were to be taken away there is no question that my enjoyment of music would be compromised. Before mechanical and electrical music playback systems we had no choice but to listen to music live. The sound was pure and real. Music and all it's emotion or lack of was naked and on display. The closer the playback system is to producing that "live" sound, the more emotional the experience.
Look at it this way. Would your experience of the music you like to listen to be unaffected if you had to listen to it through one of those cheap transistor radios that you buy for under $20.00?

Of course it's all relative, but the better the playback system the more enjoyable the listening experience. I only have to listen to the comments expressed by the people who come over and listen to music on my system to know how enjoyable it is for those people. It's one of the best things I ever invested money into. I get enjoyment out of it everyday.

I recommend to anyone who loves music to upgrade to a better playback system. You will hear things on your recordings you never heard before.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 04:38
^ "cheap transistor radios" ... I think I could adapt to that if I had to (I'd rather do that than stop listening to music), but thats two or three (5-10, actually) steps below my definition of cheap systems. Consider an mp3 player with some songs ripped at 192kbps + a computer with a decend sound card (X-Fi, preferably) + Logitech 5.1 speakers for 70 EUR. THAT is what I call a system that is "cheap" by audiophile standards, but IMO still a damn nice listening experience.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 25 2006 at 04:43
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:13
Smile

^ "cheap transistor radios" ... I think I could adapt to that if I had to (I'd rather do that than stop listening to music), but thats two or three (5-10, actually) steps below my definition of cheap systems. Consider an mp3 player with some songs ripped at 192kbps + a computer with a decend sound card (X-Fi, preferably) + Logitech 5.1 speakers for 70 EUR. THAT is what I call a system that is "cheap" by audiophile standards, but IMO still a damn nice listening experience.

Like I say, it's all relative. If you enjoy your system and it brings you joy then who is to argue. I do have a problem with mp3 recordings though. The rate of compression is very high and this always effects the sound quality. That's why so many people complain about "digital harshness". Compression allows for more storage of data, music in this case. I would at least stick to WAV format, but if you are happy, well so be it. Smile

It's very popular now to build a music system around a personal computer and I think that it's possible to get decent sound. It's not as good as a decent home system but I am sure the gap will close as time goes by.

For me it was something I wanted. I wanted good organic sound because music for me is everything. The better it's reproduced the happier I am. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 13:17

^ Of course I agree that an uncompressed file sounds better than a compressed file - that's not the point. But I can listen to a compressed file and enjoy it almost as much as I enjoy listening to an uncompressed file. I can listen to it and forget that it's compressed.

Incidentally: There are huge differences in quality ... independent of the bitrate. There are absolutely horrible 320kbps files and awesome sounding 128kbps files. Why? Because there are a few things which can be done horribly wrong when creating the files:

- Bad drive -> interpolation of the CD data or dropouts
- Analog audio extraction instead of digital: The signal has to be converted from D to A and then again be digitized (A -> D), creating increasingly bad distortion (errors multiply).
- If analog: interference introduced by the crappy cable from CD drive to soundcard
- Bad codec
- Volume normalization or effects (compression, de-noiser etc.) applied by ripping tool

All these things can be easily avoided ... and whenever you conduct listening tests with mp3s you have to be sure that these things are avoided, or else the result means nothing at all.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 25 2006 at 13:19
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 00:04

^ Of course I agree that an uncompressed file sounds better than a compressed file - that's not the point. But I can listen to a compressed file and enjoy it almost as much as I enjoy listening to an uncompressed file. I can listen to it and forget that it's compressed.

Incidentally: There are huge differences in quality ... independent of the bitrate. There are absolutely horrible 320kbps files and awesome sounding 128kbps files. Why? Because there are a few things which can be done horribly wrong when creating the files:

- Bad drive -> interpolation of the CD data or dropouts
- Analog audio extraction instead of digital: The signal has to be converted from D to A and then again be digitized (A -> D), creating increasingly bad distortion (errors multiply).
- If analog: interference introduced by the crappy cable from CD drive to soundcard
- Bad codec
- Volume normalization or effects (compression, de-noiser etc.) applied by ripping tool

All these things can be easily avoided ... and whenever you conduct listening tests with mp3s you have to be sure that these things are avoided, or else the result means nothing at all.

The transport is critical and that's why most computer set-ups are inferior to say a decent CD player. The Transport that contains the laser is of paramount importance in data retrieval. Some of the very best are made by Philips, eg CDM 9pro

Some of the major problems with a lot of recordings has nothing to do with the actual playback system. It's the actual studio production of the music. There are very few producers or engineers that can do it right.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 01:17
I do agree with you that the transport is as important as the converter in a digital set up.

Bob Ludwig is among the engineers who makes digital work a little in the rock field.

Edited by oliverstoned - April 26 2006 at 01:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 02:53
Sorry, but the "transport" is totally unimportant in the digital world. The "0"s and "1"s which are on the disc need to be extracted without errors ... as long as that is the case, the transport can be plastic/metal, heavy/lightweight ... TOTALLY irrelevant.

Any objection to this should be given in a separate thread - please let's not turn this into yet another "computer suck at audio" discussion.Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 03:07
When you compare one drive to another, teh differences are huge, and it's partly due to power alimentation, vibration design, but not only:

"Not that long ago, digital audio was considered perfect if all the bits could be stored and retrieved without data errors. If the data coming off the disc were the same as what went on the disc, how could there be a sound-quality difference with the same digital/analog converter? This "bits is bits" mentality scoffs at sonic differences between CD transports, digital interfaces, and CD tweaks. Because none of these products or devices affects the pattern of ones and zeros recovered from the disc, any differences must be purely in the listener's imagination. After all, they argued, a copy of a computer program runs just as well as the original.

As our knowledge of digital audio has become more sophisticated, however, we've learned that the timing of those ones and zeros is of utmost importance. It isn't enough to get the bits right; those bits have to be converted back into music with the same timing reference as when the music was first digitized. It turns out that timing errors in the picosecond (ps) range—the time it takes light to travel inches—can audibly degrade digitally reproduced music. These timing errors—called jitter—are only now beginning to be understood (footnote 1).

Although I have a pretty good feel for how jitter in a digital processor can degrade sound quality, what I don't begin to understand is why CD transports sound so different. Some have a smooth treble, soft bass, and a deep soundstage, while others are bright, have tight and extended bass, and poor soundstaging. My auditioning of the C.E.C. TL 1 belt-drive transport (reviewed in Vol.16 No.7) deepened the mystery: The TL 1 had the most distinctive sonic signature of any transport I've heard, with an extremely smooth treble, lushly liquid midrange, and a soft, somewhat sluggish bass. The TL 1's presentation was in sharp contrast to the Mark Levinson No.31 transport's tight, punchy, highly detailed rendering. If jitter is the cause of these sonic differences, why don't poor (high-jitter) transports all have the same sonic signature? What mechanisms create such a broad palate of sonic flavors?

There are two possible answers. The first is that, besides the bits and the timing of those bits, sound quality is influenced by a third, unknown factor. The second—and much more likely—answer is that the jitter's spectral content affects certain sonic aspects differently. Jitter can be randomly distributed in frequency (like white noise), or have most of its energy concentrated at specific frequencies. The jitter's characteristics probably determine each transport's sound. Is this the mechanism behind the different sonic signatures of CD transports?

We may have taken the first step toward answering that question. Stereophile has acquired a unique test instrument that measures jitter in a CD transport's digital output. The analyzer takes in an S/PDIF or AES/EBU signal from a transport and outputs the transport's jitter content. The jitter can be looked at on an oscilloscope, measured with an RMS-reading voltmeter, listened to through an amplifier and loudspeakers, analyzed with FFT techniques, or plotted as a function of frequency with 1/3-octave spectral analysis. The jitter test instrument, designed by UltraAnalog's Dr. Rémy Fourré and described in his Stereophile article last month ("Jitter and the Digital Interface," Vol.16 No.10, p.80), is a powerful tool for revealing the different jitter performances of various CD transports (footnote 2).

I used the analyzer to measure the jitter in a wide range of CD transports, most of them previously reviewed in these pages. The Stereophile test bench and surrounding area looked like "transport city," with more than a dozen high-end models awaiting testing. Also on hand for measurement was a "jitter-reduction" device, Audio Alchemy's Digital Transmission Interface (DTI). Because Stereophile has already reported on the sound of many of these products, we can look at the measurements and see if there's a correlation between a transport's sound quality and its measured jitter.

I'll report on the test methods and results later in this article. First, let's look at how a transport's jitter affects the sound quality of a digital processor connected to it.

How transport jitter affects DAC sound quality
In "The Jitter Game" (Stereophile, January 1993, p.114), I explained how jitter in a digital processor's word clock affects the processor's sound quality. The word clock is the timing signal that controls when the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) converts the digital audio samples into an analog output. Timing errors in the clock produce voltage errors in the DAC's analog output signal, degrading the processor's sonic and technical performance.

That article focused on jitter in digital processors; at the time, we had no way of measuring transport jitter. Since then, we've learned much more about the relationship between word-clock jitter, the digital processor, and the CD transport. It turns out that word-clock jitter in a digital processor—the point where jitter becomes audible—is a result of many variables, including the transport, the digital interface, and the digital processor itself.

The transport's S/PDIF digital output drives the digital processor's input receiver. The input receiver generates a new clock by locking to the incoming clock in the S/PDIF datastream with a Phase-Locked Loop (PLL). This so-called "recovered" clock then becomes the timing reference for the digital processor. When your digital processor's "lock" or "44.1kHz" LED illuminates, the processor has locked to the incoming clock signal. If this recovered clock is jittered, the word clock at the DAC will also be jittered.

It is commonly believed that transport jitter is rejected by the input receiver and not passed to the recovered clock. Unfortunately, that's true only above a certain frequency, called the "jitter attenuation cutoff frequency." Below this cutoff frequency, the input receiver and PLL simply pass the incoming jitter to the recovered clock. The popular Crystal CS8412 chip has a jitter attenuation cutoff frequency of 25kHz, meaning that the device is transparent to transport jitter below 25kHz. (This specification is clearly stated in the CS8412's data sheet [downloadable as a PDF file---Ed.].) The input receiver essentially acts as a low-pass filter to jitter. Note that jitter energy with a frequency between DC and 40kHz produces audible degradation.

A second source of word-clock jitter is the input receiver's intrinsic jitter. Input receivers vary greatly in their intrinsic jitter, from 40 picoseconds in the UltraAnalog AES 20 input receiver, 200ps for the Crystal CS8412, up to 5000ps (5ns) in the Yamaha YM3623 chip. (The Yamaha receiver's jitter can be reduced with a few circuit tricks.)

We can quickly see that the sonically degrading word-clock jitter in a digital processor is influenced by several variables:

1) the transport's jitter;
2) S/PDIF or AES/EBU interface-induced jitter (the digital interconnect);
3) how well the digital processor's input receiver rejects transport and interface jitter;
4) the input receiver's intrinsic jitter; and
5) how well the clock is recovered and handled inside the digital processor.

The block diagram of fig.1 shows how transport jitter ends up in the digital processor's word clock. The call-out numbers in fig.1 correspond to the five jitter sources described above. Fig.1 shows why transports and digital interfaces sound different—their jitter directly affects the timing precision of the digital/analog conversion process.

The "bits is bits" camp rejects this thesis, claiming that transport and interface jitter is completely removed by the digital processor's input receiver. They consider the PLL an absolute barrier to jitter. Consequently, they argue, transports, digital interfaces, and CD tweaks can't affect sound quality.

I conducted a little experiment to test this hypothesis. I measured a digital processor's word-clock jitter (with the Meitner LIM Detector described in Vol.16 No.1) when driven by two different digital sources. One source has low jitter (the PS Audio Lambda transport), and one source has high jitter (the Panasonic SV-3700 professional DAT machine). Fig.2 shows the jitter spectrum of the processor's word clock when driven by the Lambda. For contrast, fig.3 is the same processor's jitter spectrum—measured at the DAC with the identical test signal and conditions—but with the high-jitter Panasonic SV-3700 driving the processor. Note the vastly cleaner spectrum and fewer discrete-frequency jitter components when the processor was driven by the Lambda. Moreover, the overall RMS jitter (measured from 400Hz to 22kHz) increased from 145ps with the Lambda transport to a whopping 561ps when driven by the high-jitter SV-3700. Clearly, jitter in the S/PDIF signal driving a digital processor does greatly affect word-clock jitter inside the processor.

The following is available here:

http://www.stereophile.com/features/368/index1.html

Edited by oliverstoned - April 26 2006 at 03:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 03:15
Don't waste our time, oliver ... I remember that article from or 8+ pages monster thread about the "Battle of the sources".Wink

The above article is mainly about jitter and clock problems. Those are NON-EXISTANT when ripping audio on a computer, storing it on the harddisk. Anybody who says otherwise is a fool and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Remember that an audio CD is not different from a CD-ROM. Even cheap computer CD drives manage to read even scratched CDs without any error, you can even shake the computer while they're reading the CD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 04:01

Don't waste our time, oliver ... I remember that article from or 8+ pages monster thread about the "Battle of the sources".[IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

The above article is mainly about jitter and clock problems. Those are NON-EXISTANT when ripping audio on a computer, storing it on the harddisk. Anybody who says otherwise is a fool and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Remember that an audio CD is not different from a CD-ROM. Even cheap computer CD drives manage to read even scratched CDs without any error, you can even shake the computer while they're reading the CD.

You're of bad faith, as usual.

You try to confuse all to drown the fish!

We were talking about differences between transports...

and there are huge (i know i comapre drive very often) and I.E good Teac VRDS are far more dynamic and transparent than others.

Edited by oliverstoned - April 26 2006 at 04:11
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 04:48
I have heard the differences between transports, pre-amps, amps, wires and cables and on and on it goes. If you are not listening to high end gear, then it's hard to gauge. It really does not matter. I know the differences are very real. I started putting a system together in 1996 and 10 years later I am satisfied. Can I get better? Sure, but sound reproduction is kind of like drag racing. The law of diminished returns as the price increases exponentially. I have heard systems put together by rich people, and the equipment names all indicate fabulous sound, but they don't deliver. The right combination of equipment is very important and often the poor guys in the game are better suited at putting good systems together with modest sums of money. They know some of the bargains out there and there is good equipment to be had at resonable prices. Some expensive stuff is garbage as well. You have to be careful.

I can safely say that my system although not the best, still sounds very good for the money and the people who listen to the system and many of these people are musicians, all say the same thing. "Your system sounds lifelike."
That's all I can ask.

After listening to some of the systems my friends have, I am very happy to be at home and listening to music on my system. Most of them sound like crap to be honest with you. Can you enjoy music on a inferior music system? Yes. Is it more enjoyable on a good audio system? Absolutly!!!

The best place to start when putting a system together is with a good CD player and used equipment is a great place to start. Oh, you want a good CD player. You can start with a Linn Genki, or if you have a bit more money go for the Linn Ikemi. Both excellent players for the money.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 04:54
I agree with you. Price means nothing, there are good musical products in every price range.

I keep on thinking that tubes are really essential in a good system, along with cables, power optimization (a system without dedicated lines and filters work half)and vib cancelling.

Linn Genki is average IMO (i prefer a Naim) while Ikemi is excellent!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>