5 [16.67%]
25 [83.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 07:13
..except that you deny the jitter issue which affects transports, evoked in the text i posted up.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 07:18
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

..except that you deny the jitter issue which affects transports, evoked in the text i posted up.

It doesn't apply in the case of audio extraction, because computers have very large buffers. Driver units are legacy systems from times where large buffers (even 2MB) were not affordable even at these prices ... so it was crucial for these systems to not have any errors while reading the data which would cause the unit to have to go back and read the data again ... which leads to pauses in the playback if the buffer length is exceeded.

Computers have all the time in the world to read the CD ... read the excerpt that I quoted on the previous page. The software reads a sector up to 82 times, and only if the different extractions are identical it accepts the result. There is no interpolation or "guessing" in case of data which has been not been read correctly due to jitter, scratches or whatever else that may happen.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 08:07
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Mike, you are wasting your time.

Why did he call you a tadpole?[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

In your opinion?

Edited by oliverstoned - April 26 2006 at 08:08
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Mike, you are wasting your time.

Why did he call you a tadpole?[

In your opinion?
Actually you are both wasting your time, this argument hasn't progressed from previous threads.Confused

In my opinion.Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 08:11
I'm not bored at all ... these things cannot be explained too often.
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:00
[Random question]

Would I be wasting my time downloading musuc over the internet? Because, its just 128kps. It doesn't sound bad to me. (legally Tongue [iTunes.. etc]) Or would my money be better spent buying CDs?

Edited by Meddler - April 26 2006 at 11:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by Meddler Meddler wrote:

[Random question] Would I be wasting my time downloading musuc over the internet? Because, its just 128kps. It doesn't sound bad to me. (legally [iTunes.. etc]) Or would my money be better spent buying CDs?

Two things:

- Today music you buy in internet stores is encoded in 192kbps. It's also not encoded as mp3, but WMA with DRM (digital rights management), which puts severe limitations on what you can do with the files.
- Personally I would never buy music in this form, unless the price would be considerably lower than the real album. There are a few websites which offer mp3s in an acceptable form, most importantly www.emusic.com, where you can buy whole albums for around $2. That is a price well spent IMO, because you can always decide to get the real album later or to be content with the mp3.

My personal recommendation: Look for subscription based services such as Napster, where you can listen to all they have for the price of one real album per month. Together with services like eMusic and a few albums per month which you still buy "normally", that is the perfect solution to me:

- you have huge quantities of stuff to listen to in low quality
- you don't pay much for that, so you have enough money left to buy those albums which you REALLY like after extensive listening.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 15:27
Mike, I think Itunes does use 128kbps still (!), according to http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Audio/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=49339 anyway. Mind you, there are so many horrible innaccuracies in that article that it's quite possibly wrong...

oliver: EAC doesn't simply claim to make exact copies, it makes verifiably exact copies. That is the nature of digital audio. Jitter is, as Mike says, not relevant to this situation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 15:31
^ goose, you may be correct about iTunes. But I'm talking about sane download stores.Wink

Seriously: 192kbps are becoming the standard for downloads, Napster and most other European stores use that format (although some old tracks still exist in the Napster database which were ripped in 128kbps and haven't yet been replaced).

BTW: At this point I have to recommend www.emusic.com again - they offer tremendously well ripped mp3s at varying bitrates (VBR) which average at 200 kbps.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 20:29
For sure, but those buying Ipods have already locked themselves out of (edit: most) sane music stores, as well as most music players and most formats of music, bless them.

Looking at emusic though, that does look pretty good. Not that I want to buy audio files, but if I did I'd probably look there first Smile

Edited by goose - April 26 2006 at 20:31
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 09:30
Thanks Mike and Goose. I did read your reply sooner. I was just too lazy to post. Wink
Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 14:20
I feel that you can enjoy music with any kind of equipment you might prefer to use.  This leaves me in the middle.  However, i believe that Analog is much better than digital in terms of actual sound.  With analog you get that deep, rich bass sound and soft highs.  But with digital you get flat bass and harsh highs.  Both are good in the mid-range.  Even my fiance' can tell the difference and she doesn't take  music very seriously, to her music is music.  But i think anyone can get by just fine with a decent system, whether i is digital or analog.  I could see spending upwards of $2,000 at the very most for a quality sound system; amp, surround sound, cd, dvda, record player, seperate EQ.  but to spend more than that is absurd and a waste money.
BUH!!! It's what the Buffalo say!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345