Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoody Blues reccomendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moody Blues reccomendations?
    Posted: April 21 2006 at 20:43
I listened to a sample on this site and thought it was beautiful, I love the strings. Im downloading "The Days of Future Passed" right now. I'm looking for more albums by them with a similar sound. thanks

Big smile

listen to Hella
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 22:12
Sorry, but the Moodies never did capture the sound of Days of Future Passed again.  Search for the Lost Chord is good too, though.  

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 22:21
ok i will thanks :)

listen to Hella
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 00:36

"On the Threshold of a Dream" is my personal fave.  Obviously, the arrangements are more stripped down than on Days as there's no symphony orchestra.  However, there's better use of Melotron, some more sophistocated compositions (IMO), and even better spoken word parts from Mr. Edge.  Definately an album to check out. 

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 02:37
The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHOBig smile 

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 17:15

I personally enjoy In search of a Lost Chord and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.  But definitely get the splendid seven albums.

Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 01:09
All the Moody Blues albums are great but my favorite one is "TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN.

To me this is their most spaciest and prog-like. What the hell, to me it is prog. Some of Mike Pinder's best Mellotron work is in this album. Also some of John Lodge's best bass playing and Justin Hayward's subtle guitar work.

In the middle of the album, there's an instrumental track, "Beyond" which is very proggy with lots of mellotron flutes and strings, which segues into a Pinder song, "Out and In." Both tracks are in a style to be heard much later in other bands like Genesis and Camel.

The album also features the classic "Gypsy." Two beautiful songs by Ray Thomas, "Floating & "Eternity Road." And a John Lodge song, "Candle Of Life."
I think of TOCCC sort of their "sleeper" album sometimes overshadowed by the other more popular ones, like "Days Of Future Passed" or "In Search Of The Last Chord." It certainly deserves or merits a second listening. My god, I keep forgetting this album came out in 1969!

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:48
My favourites are On The Threshold Of A Dream and A Question Of Balance, but I agree that all of their 7 first albums are worth the price.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 16:01
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

All the Moody Blues albums are great but my favorite one is "TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN.

To me this is their most spaciest and prog-like. What the hell, to me it is prog. Some of Mike Pinder's best Mellotron work is in this album. Also some of John Lodge's best bass playing and Justin Hayward's subtle guitar work.

In the middle of the album, there's an instrumental track, "Beyond" which is very proggy with lots of mellotron flutes and strings, which segues into a Pinder song, "Out and In." Both tracks are in a style to be heard much later in other bands like Genesis and Camel.

The album also features the classic "Gypsy." Two beautiful songs by Ray Thomas, "Floating & "Eternity Road." And a John Lodge song, "Candle Of Life."
I think of TOCCC sort of their "sleeper" album sometimes overshadowed by the other more popular ones, like "Days Of Future Passed" or "In Search Of The Last Chord." It certainly deserves or merits a second listening. My god, I keep forgetting this album came out in 1969!

My favorite too.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 05:35
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHO[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> 

Agreed. They're all good, but my current favourite is actually 'Seventh Sojourn' which is the last of the 'big seven' I dont think many will share this view. I just think it has more 'stand out' songs on it than the others, in terms of memorability and feeling. Mike Pinders Mellotron work is some of his best IMO. In fact he used a Chamberlain on this album, apparently; a more robust and reliable instrument which worked on the same principle.

Edited by Blacksword - April 28 2006 at 05:36
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 15:25
I'd say the two best albums were 'In Search Of The Lost Chord', my personal favourite and one of my all time favourite albums, and 'On The Threshold Of A Dream', which is similarly superb. Tons of great mellotron workouts on both, with brilliant songwriting.

I've not heard 'Seventh Sojourn', but I had two of their later albums- 'Octave' and 'The Present'- which were HUGELY disappointing and underwhelming AOR albums.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 09:21
try these...........

Octave 

..........you will not be disappointed!Thumbs Up

i think "octave" and "the present" are brilliant albums, and such fine sound quality.Clap

Edited by mystic fred - April 29 2006 at 09:26
Prog Archives Tour Van
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 09:35
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I'd say the two best albums were 'In Search Of The Lost Chord', my personal favourite and one of my all time favourite albums, and 'On The Threshold Of A Dream', which is similarly superb. Tons of great mellotron workouts on both, with brilliant songwriting.

I've not heard 'Seventh Sojourn', but I had two of their later albums- 'Octave' and 'The Present'- which were HUGELY disappointing and underwhelming AOR albums.

Seventh Sojourn is similar in style to the six first albums. Those 7 albums are pretty good, and with Octave they began to get worse.

moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 17:23
Well, follow the general recomendation and listen to the other six albums before DOFP. From the last year to now I'm in a mood that favours the duo TOCCC and AQOB.
Octave is worth listening, but it's a very plain album compared with the magnificent seven. Their later work is just passable, with some high points and a lot of low disapponitments. Listen to the Hall of Fame - it's their best official live album, but unfortunally without the splendid Mike Pinder.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 18:07
To Our Children's Children's Children, then Seventh Sojourn.  Everything through Seventh Sojourn is great, but those are my two favorites.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 23:58
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

To Our Children's Children's Children, then Seventh Sojourn.  Everything through Seventh Sojourn is great, but those are my two favorites.

Just what he said. Seventh is an all time favorite. Thumbs Up
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 07:21
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

Listen to the Hall of Fame - it's their best official live album, but unfortunally without the splendid Mike Pinder.

IMO their best live album is the most recent - Lovely To See You .... Live From The Greek - some excellent performances and no orchestra, though sadly no Ray Thomas either. See my review here : http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=11586
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 12:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The first seven albums(Days of Future Passed-Seventh Sojourn) are all worth getting IMHO[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> 

Agreed. They're all good, but my current favourite is actually 'Seventh Sojourn' which is the last of the 'big seven' I dont think many will share this view. I just think it has more 'stand out' songs on it than the others, in terms of memorability and feeling. Mike Pinders Mellotron work is some of his best IMO. In fact he used a Chamberlain on this album, apparently; a more robust and reliable instrument which worked on the same principle.

This is one of the few times I happen to agree with blacksword Wink... for some reason, Seventh Sojourn remained my MB fave for quite a long time... Maybe it's because the memorability and feeling, as blacksword suggested... and maybe it's because of "the spirit of times", i.e. year '72 when the concept of prog began to establish itself... I mean, look at the other albums released the same year! I just wish the MB survived one more year before going on a five year hiatus, because 1973 is definitely my favorite year in progSmile
speaking of which, their "apocryphal" albums are also gems along with the "magnificent seven", that is: the recording of a 1969 concert in the Royal Albert Hall with 5 demo recordings pre-DoFP, and a magnificent compilation "This is the Moody Blues". The latter also includes a non-album single (which is among my favorites) "A Simple Game"...
A beginner may also try a latter day compilation Greatest Hits (the one with the wihite cover with strange collages), which includes two superb orchestrated remakes "Question" and "Isn't Life Strange", along with already well-known hits like Nights in White Satin or Tuesday afternoon, and a couple of not-so-bad 80's material...
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
 Post Reply Post Reply