FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYngwie J. Malmsteen’s Concerto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yngwie J. Malmsteen’s Concerto
    Posted: November 21 2004 at 18:51

This opus generates some pretty intense emotions and mental pictures.

Who would deny that Ingwie J. Malmsteen is intense and passionnate?

Very underestimated as a producer and arranger, Malmsteen has a few tricks in his pockets and composed AND produced a super cd named:

CONCERTO SUITE FOR ELECTRIC GUITAR AND ORCHESTRA IN E FLAT MINOR

It's surprinsingly awesome. Spitfire records made a master serie out of it so don't expect to pay too much on it...ain't it great?.

Give this guy a chance, you'll probably wondered where it was all this time.

If you still wonder how it sounds, well think of what could be a good soundtrack for a vampire Van Helsing-style or a Castlevania movie.

Groovy

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 19:59
i hate yngwie malmsteen. I find he's a w**ker. And all his songs sound the same. he makes me wanna poop.
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 20:11
C'Mon Yngwie, Satch, Vai.....  great at what they do, but they really are not of the prog genre.  More rockers then proggers. And there is nothing wrong with that.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 23:43
Malmsteen is very good, Satriani is better, and HAVE YOU LISTENED TO VINNIE MOORE? This guy is a God!
StarvingArtyst View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 23:50

has anyone heard the Steven Mackey electric guitar concerto? its freaking awesome.

Svein-Frode View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 02:51
It's one of the poorest produced classical CDs I have in my collection. The sound is poorer than the poorest Naxos CD ever released. The compositions are lacking in every department and it is clear that Yngwie has taken water way over his head on this project. Yet another example of how a talented musician has been vicitmized by a growing ego. While I learned a lot of licks from Yngwie as a young guitarist, he has frozen his musical development for the last 20 years. Big headed and blind he continues to poor out his heavy metal from hell with lyrics to match. I'm sorry, but I can not back up your rave review of this album. Invest your money elsewhere. My complete 1984-2000 Yngwie CD collection is up for sale, anyone want to make an offer? I'll even include the Live in Leningrad video where you can study Yngwie roaming around the stage in tight pants, showing off for the other drag queens he plays with...
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 04:44
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

Malmsteen is very good, Satriani is better, and HAVE YOU LISTENED TO VINNIE MOORE? This guy is a God!

And Elvis, don't for get Elvis...great guitar player.

Is Elvis prog?

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 05:00
Elvis is prog...hey everyone is prog........even sigod is prog 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 07:38
Topic: Yngwie J. Malmsteen’s Concerto

Yngwie J Malmsteen Guitar Concerto?

A guitar concerto by Yngwie J Malmsteen?

That Yngwie J Malmsteen?

Ooh! I wet 'em!

Oh dear......

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 08:02

Malmsteen plays very quickly indeed - almost as quickly as Steve Vai, except that Malmsteen adheres almost rigidly to classical scales, instead of journeying into either simple or complex modes as Vai does. Malmsteen displays an understanding of harmony entrenched in the 17th Century (before Bach), and everything he writes is basically a mini concerto, since his guitar dominates.

Out of the two, Vai is far and away the more proggy, but it is difficult even for a keen Vai fan such as myself to say that Vai's music is prog.

As far as arranging goes, I have yet to hear anything that contradicts my feeling that Malmsteen's "arrangements" serve only one purpose; an attempt to make him look good. The keyboard parts, if he arranges them, tend to follow stylistically and tonally, so that it is difficult at times to distinguish between the instruments. While this might be the intention, I fail to see the point. His bass playing tends to show a mis-understanding of the more advanced principles of bass, and his dictatorial approach to what the drummer is intended to do annoyed the hell out of at least one drummer he hired for one of his albums . I shudder to think what the poor orchestra had to go through.

I had to put the word "arrangements" in quotes, because, listening to any arrangement of any song he's so far committed to vinyl, there's nothing extraordinary in it - if there was, he wouldn't be able to keep the "Classical" feel, as he would have to break all the rules - and as he adheres almost rigidly to the rules, there is nothing very surprising or demonstrative of special talent in any of his arrangements that I've heard.

If he's now written a Concerto - which I will gladly check out (once), then I'm afraid his back-catalogue does my pre-conceptions of what it will be like absolutely no favours. I doubt very much it will be even vaguely prog - more like "Classical Rock" (again).

He may be insanely fast, and I really like some of his early material, but he's never even attempted to play prog, AFAIK.

Edited by Certif1ed
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 08:21

There's no doubting the mans musical prowess..

But, for me Malmsteen always seemed to create really hateful music. Dreadful, cheesy, over the top rubbish. When a friend of mine was learning the guitar, he got Malmsteens 'Rising Force' album, 'Marching out' as well as Malmsteens 'Trilogy' Both had me rolling around the floor in the hysterics. My friend was trying to point out how technically brilliant it was. I pointed out, that despite being technically brilliant, it still sounded like comedy rock, so therefore the artists obvious talent had gone to waste IMO.

Playing 300 notes a second and basing everything you do on classical music may be very clever, but it does little to entertain me, as I hear it as showing off and nothing more. Frankly I'd rather listen to Dave Brock of Hawkwind tuning up.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 08:34
I had that album for a while. Eventually I sold it along with "The Best Of Nick Straker Band" and "Kiki Dee's Greatest Hits".
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 09:26

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Malmsteen displays an understanding of harmony entrenched in the 17th Century (before Bach), and everything he writes is basically a mini concerto, since his guitar dominates.

Whatever understanding he might have about 17th century music he doesn't show very much of it in his music. His reportoire is severly limited in both harmony and scales. While he might race through som minor and diminished seven arpeggios, backed up by 16th note tjugga tjugga tjugga tjugga one string bass and 2 note chords on the guitar, he's not anywhere near the baroque masters of the pre Bach period in applied musical understading.

Besides being a parody of himself he has managed to drag Jens and Anders Johanssen into the mud with him. Two very gifted musicians gone to waste in heavy metal hell. There is hope though, and their talent shines through in Jens Johannson's solo records where he is joind by his brother Anders, Shawn Lane and Alan Holdsworth to mention a few.

As for Malmsteen playing prog he does covers of Kansas and UK on the "Inspirations" album, which might be my favourite record of his (when I need som banging my head against the wall music - what else is it good for?). After all, Malmsteen plays good Heavy Metal, his problem is that most of it sounds exactly the same, and that he should have been limited to release only two albums. That should be more than enough to showcase his diversity and originality for 25+ years in the biz.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 09:55
Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

Elvis is prog...hey everyone is prog........even sigod is prog 

And would look good on the front of a T shirt

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 12:15

I like the excerpts I've heard of the Concerto. It may not be adventurous, it may not be anything special, but there are times when I just want lots of notes squeezed into a small space, and it suffices for that, certainly over the rest of his output.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 14:12
immense guitarist, and he knows it far to well. he loves to show off all the time.

he is an immense soloist. pretty much untouchable but his song writing skills arent brilliant cos he can barely play slowly, its all jus speedy solos.
The Worthless Recluse
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 14:13
also i detect a distant malmsteen influence in john petrucci from dream theaters solos but he is better cos he can write more slow emotional stuff as well as do floyd style solos. petrucci is a god.
The Worthless Recluse
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 02:18
Malmsteen was an immense guitarist in the early days of the eighties because he managed to commercialize technical playing, but he has become one in a million. The world today is full of brilliant, shredding, technically superb guitarists. For any trained musician Malmsteen is kids stuff. Songwriting has nothing to do with tempo, it has everything to do with with creativity and knowledge of harmony and music. Sure Petrucci must be influenced by Malmsteen, what teenage metal head wanting to learn guitar hasn't been, but to say that you can hear that in his playing is a mystery to me. Please point me to some of the music where he has adopted the Malmsteen sound. A guitarist that can't shread a few arpeggios across the neck of his guitar should consider playing a different instrument. It's like a photographer that is unable to adjust exposure on his camera. For progressive musicians especially, it's important to never let your technical ability cloud your vision, and that goes for those that can't play one note right and those who don't know when to stop shredding.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 02:44

Originally posted by Svein-Frode Svein-Frode wrote:

A guitarist that can't shread a few arpeggios across the neck of his guitar should consider playing a different instrument. It's like a photographer that is unable to adjust exposure on his camera. 

Except for David Gilmour, Andy Latimer, Steve Rothery...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 04:34

^

I sorta' knew such an argument would come up :D No doubt excellent music can be written and performed by people with limited instrument handeling skills, but why limit onself as a player, perfomer and composer? Although all the names you mentioned have very positive sides as musicians and composers they also lack in certain areas, and their fear of losing control probably kept them from hiring in musicians more capabale than themselves to perform certain parts. Latimer isn't a great soloist, but he had keyboardplayers from heaven to support him, so in the end he did fairly well :). If only a few rockers could climb down from their high horse and do like classical composers - hire in the best people to perform their visionary music, instead of trying to do everything themselves, and usually end up with something below their potential. Composing music and performing music is two very different artforms, and only a very few can handle both with grace.

Edited by Svein-Frode
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>