6 [1.53%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by nowayman121 nowayman121 wrote:

This poll brings the conclusion to me that DT is quite disliked here.
'twas ever thus.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Still, there are people that seem to think that "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death is a masterpiece of Prog, so that probably says a lot

Wait, weren't you all that far from being one of these people?

-- Ivan
sig
Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:41

Whoever made this poll turned on the multiple votes option, so it's probably one dickhead voting for these bands over and over again.

www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by Tenth Chaffinch Tenth Chaffinch wrote:

Whoever made this poll turned on the multiple votes option, so it's probably one dickhead voting for these bands over and over again.

I made this poll under the idea that you would only vote for as many bands once. I believe you are the Dickhead making multiple votes. What kind of language is dickhead? It certainly isn't dramatic enough to make a difference.

Edited by Xenoxen - April 24 2006 at 11:26
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:53
I respect the ones that don't like Dream Theater (for me is good, and that's all).
But, non prog band??????????????????????????????????

Come on
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 16:22

Well this poll shows the character of some of our posters here.  Anyone who thinks Dream Theater, Glass Hammer, or Spock's Beard are not progressive should really reevaluate what they think progressive music is. 

If Dream Thetaer isn't progressive, why don't we get rid of every progressive metal band on this site?

If the Who isn't progressive why don't we elimiate the Proto Prog categories?  Well that may be a good idea.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
A Guy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 17:59

I'm not trying to start an argument, but what exactly is not progressive about the Mars Volta?

Edited by A Guy - April 24 2006 at 18:03
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 20:10

There's nothig not prog about TMV, in fact it is the most progressive group of that list, the only problem is that there's a lot of people who hates them just because they don't understand it or think they're too noisy, so they try to attack them  by saying they're not progressive.

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 20:12
All the bands listed are good, but the Who is definitely not prog.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 23:12

so, if i want i can vote 30 times?LOL

well, my vote goes for The Who, between that bands is the less progressive, in fact its not progressive.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 23:32
Quote They are pushing music further IMO

Yeah, definitely (SARCASM!).

Every song sounds like Genesis's The Waiting Room from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're trying to replicate.

TMV sucks. It takes balls to say it, but it's nothing but whiney emo pap. TMV gets is b*lls licked while amazing bands like Porcupine Tree and Primus get sh*t on. Frankly I'm sick of it.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but what exactly is not progressive about the Mars Volta?

There is nothing 'progressive' about one giant jam session packed with pseudo-sci-fi sound effects and severe distortion to mask the lack of talent all around.

Long live ATDI, DOWN WITH TMV!

Edited by DeepPhreeze - April 24 2006 at 23:34
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 03:43
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

Every song sounds like Genesis's The Waiting Room from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

TMV sucks. It takes balls to say it, but it's nothing but whiney emo pap. TMV gets is b*lls licked while amazing bands like Porcupine Tree and Primus get sh*t on. Frankly I'm sick of it.

There is nothing 'progressive' about one giant jam session packed with pseudo-sci-fi sound effects and severe distortion to mask the lack of talent all around.

I think you're understanding bad what 'progressive' means, and you don't need to insult other's opinion when you're giving a different one. IMO TMV is the most progressive band playing around, i don't agree with you at all, (see, i disagree but do not insult you or your thoughts). I think that in every point TMV is far far far better than Porcupine Tree, but that doesn't mean you're wrong if you preffer PT, at all.

What i don't understand is your 'progresive' definition, how can you say that TMV isn't prog and then say that PT is prog, really, i wonder, please explain.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 04:24
Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

I think?

No, you don't. 
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 08:12
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Well this poll shows the character of some of our posters here.  Anyone who thinks Dream Theater, Glass Hammer, or Spock's Beard are not progressive should really reevaluate what they think progressive music is. 

If Dream Thetaer isn't progressive, why don't we get rid of every progressive metal band on this site?

Best idea I've heard in ages!! LOL

If the Who isn't progressive why don't we elimiate the Proto Prog categories?  Well that may be a good idea.

Oh dear, Queen ain't winning this yet - better slip a few more votes on .... oops, what a giveaway LOL

Edited by Joolz - April 25 2006 at 08:13
Time-Machinist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 08:26
Do moderators have chance (or authority) to notice and declare who (s) voted for DT? It would be entertaining to know LOL
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 09:17
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

Here's why The Mars Volta are prog. Hope you don't mind, The Miracle. Embarrassed

• Long compositions, sometimes running over 20 minutes, with intricate melodies and harmonies that require repeated listening to grasp. These are often described as epics and are the genre's clearest nod to classical music. An early example is the 23-minute "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Other famous examples include Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" (43 minutes), Yes' "Close to the Edge" (18 minutes) and Genesis' "Supper's Ready" (23 minutes). More recent extreme examples are the 60-minute "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" by Green Carnation and "Garden of Dreams" by The Flower Kings.
Cassandra Geminni. Nuff said.
  • Lyrics that convey intricate and sometimes impenetrable narratives, covering such themes as science fiction, fantasy, history, religion, war, love, and madness. Many early 1970s progressive rock bands (especially German ones) featured lyrics concerned with left-wing politics and social issues.
They cover love revenge, life after death and fantasy(a person going through a coma is the concept of De-loused)
  • Concept albums, in which a theme or storyline is explored throughout an entire album in a manner similar to a film or a play. In the days of vinyl, these were usually two-record sets with strikingly designed gatefold sleeves. Famous examples include The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis, Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes, 2112 by Rush, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall by Pink Floyd, and the more recent Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater and Snow by Spock's Beard. Aqualung, perhaps the best-known record by Jethro Tull, is often regarded as a concept album due to its recurring themes, but songwriter Ian Anderson has always claimed that the album is just "a bunch of songs".
Both of their albums have obscure and deep concepts about love, hate, revenge, etc......
  • Unusual vocal styles and use of multi-part vocal harmonies. See Magma, Robert Wyatt, and Gentle Giant.
Mirenda, Cassandra Geminni, L'via, and much more........
  • Prominent use of electronic instrumentation — particularly keyboard instruments such as the organ, piano, Mellotron, and Moog synthesizer, in addition to the usual rock combination of electric guitar, bass and drums.
Great keyboard work, especially on FTM.
  • Use of unusual time signatures, scales, or tunings. Many pieces use multiple time signatures and/or tempi, sometimes concurrently. Solo passages for virtually every instrument, designed to showcase the virtuosity of the player. This is the sort of thing that contributed to the fame of such performers as keyboardist Rick Wakeman and drummer Neil Peart.
All the time. Read my review for comments on their incredible musicianship
  • Inclusion of classical pieces on albums. For example, Yes start their concerts with a taped extract of Stravinsky's Firebird suite, and Emerson Lake and Palmer have performed arrangements of pieces by Copland, Bartók, Moussorgsky, Prokofiev, Janacek, Alberto Ginastera, and often feature quotes from J. S. Bach in lead breaks. Jethro Tull recorded a famous cover of J. S. Bach's "Bouree", in which they turned the classical piece into a "sleazy jazzy night-club song", according to Ian Anderson. Marillion started concerts with Rossini's La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie). Symphony X has included parts by, or inspired by, Beethoven, Holst and Mozart
Well, no, but neither did Genesis, Gentle Giant and Pink Floyd.
  • An aesthetic linking the music with visual art, a trend started by The Beatles with Sgt. Pepper's and enthusiastically embraced during the prog heyday. Some bands became as well-known for the art direction of their albums as for their sound, with the "look" integrated into the band's overall musical identity. This led to fame for particular artists and design studios, most notably Roger Dean, whose paintings and logo design for Yes are so essential to the band's identity they could be said to serve the same function as corporate branding. Hipgnosis became equally famous for their unusual sleeves for Pink Floyd, often featuring experimental photography quite innovative for the time (two men shaking hands, one of whom is in flames, on the cover of Wish You Were Here). H.R. Giger's painting for Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery is one of the most famous album sleeves ever produced.
Their sleeves are masterpieces by Storm

DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 09:43
It's one giant jam session.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:09
Whoops! There goes Can...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:35
I thinks Bands like - Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree - These bands try to hard to be progressive. It's almost like watching Play Acting. You can hear the struggle in the music of trying so hard not to sound like the older prog bands. So they become over dramatic

TMV & Radiohead - in my Opinion they just Piece together noises and effects and call it progressive and the effects make no sense to the music or story line.  An example of a good effect is when Geddy Lee sings Lenses Polarize and polarizing sound follows immediately. Their music sounds complicated, but when you throw effects, melodys, tempo changes and stops together on a whim it's becomes chaotic more than complicated. So you are just mistaking Complicated for chaotic.

TD - and other metal bands are just Heavy Metal not progressive at all. Just because they right long songs and change tempo doesn't mean they are progressive. You must be unique and different. Metal bands just aren't (i do like like heavy metal bands they are just not progressive to me)

One Part Of Being Progressive - Is the Melody, Lyrics and Music all make sense with one another. You know like ham and Cheese compliment each other. But pickles and peanut butter just don't go together and even though you put them on bread i wouldn't call it a sandwich.

Edited by Xenoxen - April 25 2006 at 11:02
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

One Part Of Being Progressive - Is the Melody, Lyrics and Music all make sense with one another. You know like ham and Cheese compliment each other. But pickles and peanut butter just don't go together and even though you put them on bread i wouldn't call it a sandwich.

It might just be an experimental sandwich ... or maybe even a RIO/Avant-Prog sandwich!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>