6 [1.53%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:00
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

One Part Of Being Progressive - Is the Melody, Lyrics and Music all make sense with one another. You know like ham and Cheese compliment each other. But pickles and peanut butter just don't go together and even though you put them on bread i wouldn't call it a sandwich.

It might just be an experimental sandwich ... or maybe even a RIO/Avant-Prog sandwich! 

But no one would experiment with  a pickle and peanut butter on bread. Some things just aren't experimental but just reaching

Edited by Xenoxen - April 25 2006 at 11:01
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:01

I thinks Bands like - Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree - These bands try to hard to be progressive. It's almost like watching Play Acting. You can hear the struggle in the music of trying so hard not to sound like the older prog bands. So they become over dramatic
 I understand your point but I wouldn't put Porcupine Tree in the same category as say Spocks Beard. PT are far superior, although some of their recent material is more "mainstream".
TMV & Radiohead - in my Opinion they just Piece together noises and effects and call it progressive and the effects make no sense to the music or story line.  An example of a good effect is when Geddy Lee sings Lenses Polarize and polarizing sound follows immediately. There music sounds complicated, but when you throw effects, melodys, tempo changes and stops together on a whim it's becomes chaotic more than complicated. So you are just mistaking Complicated for chaotic. Radiohead have some great tunes - actually so do TMV amidst all the "noise".

ps of the list, I voted Queen and The Who - some may make an intelectual argument for them being classed as prog, but my instinct - right or wrong - says they are not!!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:11

One Part Of Being Progressive - Is the Melody, Lyrics and Music all make sense with one another. You know like ham and Cheese compliment each other. But pickles and peanut butter just don't go together and even though you put them on bread i wouldn't call it a sandwich.
It might just be an experimental sandwich ... or maybe even a RIO/Avant-Prog sandwich!      [IMG]smileys/smiley17.gif" align=middle>

But no one would experiment with  a pickle and peanut butter on bread. Some things just aren't experimental but just reaching

Don't say that - I've seen people eat worse combinations.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:23

It might just be an experimental sandwich ... or maybe even a RIO/Avant-Prog sandwich!      [IMG]smileys/smiley17.gif" align=middle>

Don't say that - I've seen people eat worse combinations.

You're Right My Nephew does it for attentionLOL
A Guy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:49
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

TMV sucks. It takes balls to say it,

Um... why would it take balls to criticise a band?
My website
Signatures are for people who can think of anything to put in their signatures.
W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:56
WHY THE HELL ARE SPOCK'S BEARD IN THERE???

Anyway my vote goes to QUEEN!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 16:21
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Still, there are people that seem to think that "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death is a masterpiece of Prog, so that probably says a lot [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align=middle>

Wait, weren't you all that far from being one of these people?

-- Ivan

My review even states quite clearly that - and I quote - "it's not Prog at all".

I'm not sure how you deduced from that that I nearly called it a masterpiece of Prog.

Maybe I should have typed it in capitals or something?

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 16:27
Originally posted by Tenth Chaffinch Tenth Chaffinch wrote:

I think Mars Volta is progressive for Emo music, but there's nothing progressive about Queen.

I surely agree with you....I can't understand who voted Dream Theater accusing them to be not progressive....I personally consider these statements as bullsh*t....

Anyway I'm a great Queen fan, but they're not progressive....I mean they also recorded tracks such as Innuendo or Who Wants To Live Forever which could be considered as prog....but they're not a progressive band...

I don't find prog Radiohead.
]
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 19:25
Quote These bands try to hard to be progressive. It's almost like watching Play Acting. You can hear the struggle in the music of trying so hard not to sound like the older prog bands. So they become over dramatic.

You don't understand Porcupine Tree at all.

Steve Wilson has never had to try to sound like any other band. I can honestly say that of all the big-time individual producers, Steve Wilson is one of the most diverse and organized of all. I put him up there with Todd Rundgren, Trent Reznor, and Alan Parsons. When The Sky Moves Sideways came out, it was revolutionary; there had never been a band that mixed moody and atmospheric tones with metal riffs backed by calming ambience. The entire point of PT is that it's 'soft meta' (if that makes sense).

Each album has a theme that is carried; one is about innocence stolen from youth, one is the loss of a loved one, one is about being apathetic toward life, one is about the coming of age and the classic maturity factor that everybody pretends they've always had...

And the sounds are very diverse; comparing Coma Divine to In Absentia to Lightbulb Sun to Deadwing is nearly impossible, save the fact that they've got the common British modalities and all carry with them some sort of sense of innocence.
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 21:34
RADIOHEAD IS LESS PROG

Edited by markosherrera - December 08 2006 at 21:42
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 22:07
Ok... my work is done... I took care of DT losing this poll.... and I'll do it again (if we have the chance to vite 30 times, why not?)

Please administrator, this poll is just a waste of bandwidth, there are other useless polls (I myself have started quite a few) but at least you could vote only ONCE... here I by myself put Radiohead in the first place... please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123