FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums That Rose Phoenix Like From the Ashes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums That Rose Phoenix Like From the Ashes
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 18:48
I listened to Genesis' "...And Then There Were Three" for the first time for, ooh absolutely ages a couple of weeks ago. I never thought that much of it originally, but listening to it again, it seems to have taken on a new life, and is much "proggier" than I remember it in places, ok so its sort of a prog-lite but hey, theres some great tunes on there.

So has anybody else had the same experience with another album, listening to it again after a long lay off and it being much better than they remember?

eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 18:53
Almost with every prog album I discover. Wink
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 18:59
um, lets see. alot

Relayer for the most part I think. I really disliked The Gates of Delirum the first time I listened to it. Now I love it.
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 19:03
Yeah, it happens a lot to me, most notably with Disco Volante by Mr. Bungle, Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta, and even Close to the Edge by Yes. These were all my first exposure to the bands in question (in the case of Yes, my first exposure to non-metal prog), and I hated them all at first, but after putting them away for a while and re-listening at a later date, my opinion completely changed (fortunately).
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 20:25
I recall not being blown away by Neal Morse's "?" when I first listened to it. Now, however, every time I hear the disc I notice something different. Quickly overtaking One as my second favorite Neal Morse solo disc.

Octane by Spock's Beard was another one I didn't care for when I first got it. Now, I really enjoy it and I like it so much more than Feel Euphoria.

E
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 21:23
One of my all time favorite albums was a phoenix. Larks Tongue in Aspic. My thoughts on first listen to the 99 cent cassete I bought: 'what a horrid collection of noise. Its way to avandt garde for me'.  I put it away for about 4 years and one day grabed it out of the drawer by accident. Once in the van I realised what it was and was not going to listen to it. A month of commuting went by and each day I'd forget to grab a new cassete for the ride to work and I was dead tired of my White Zombie/Megadeth tape. So I popped in Larks Tongue and let it play in the background for a few days not really listening to it. Then an epiphany happened, I noticed I was anticipating the section of music that was about to come up in a certain song. Now I love that album to death.

Cool thread btw.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 21:35
I'll name one because there are too many.  Tortoise's TNT

Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 21:57

[QUOTE=Gog/Magog]I listened to Genesis' "...And Then There Were Three" for the first time for, ooh absolutely ages a couple of weeks ago. I never thought that much of it originally, but listening to it again, it seems to have taken on a new life, and is much "proggier" than I remember it in places, ok so its sort of a prog-lite but hey, theres some great tunes on there.

So has anybody else had the same experience with another album, listening to it again after a long lay off and it being much better than they remember?

I had the same experience with the same album. When it first came up I was quite disappointed with it because it wasn't very progressive. But later on I came to accept there is some awesome songwriting on it.

With Lark's tounge I had the same experience

Edited by Losendos - April 24 2006 at 21:58
How wonderful to be so profound
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 22:27
    With me it was "Octopus." I just thought it was so-so at first. After a while I gave it another try, and now I love it. It also took a while for the genius of "Lark's Toungue" to sink in with me. Now one of my favorites.
     I think it's interesting how this can happen with albums that you do like, but just haven't played in a long time. What fun to rediscover an old treasure.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 02:25
Its happened too many times to remeber all but I do remeber finding KC's Larks tongues in aspic and Genesis's trick of a tale  and VDGG's albums a challenge the first time but then loving them after about the third listen.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 04:09

Yeah, VGG is a bit tough to swallow at first....Pawn Hearts was initially unlistenable, now it's tolerable....even enjoyable in parts.

I'd have to say that I HATED some Canterbury stuff when I first put it on....Henry Cow, Hatfield and the North, even some Gong.  Now it's a treat to hear.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Gog/Magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 06:13
I too was initially embarrassed to have played VDGG and The Mars Volta CDs thinking what the hell... but there was something in them that made me go back to them, and now well I think they are two of the greatest bands to have existed on Gods green earth, but the time span was a few weeks, it was literally 3 or 4 years since i had heard "and then there were three" and was amazed at how different it sound to what I had remembered
 Post Reply Post Reply