Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Are you sick of the complaining about gas prices?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [52.00%]
7 [28.00%]
1 [4.00%]
1 [4.00%]
3 [12.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 11:22
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

the transport of the future.......??

The transport of the present, where I live. The Douglas Horse Tram runs right beneath my windows.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 11:27
I have a cute Piaggio 125cc bike that takes just £3 to fill (about 3 litres) and for that i can run for about 50miles............ so the prices don't effect me too much, however we (as a family) also run a car, and a couple of off road bikes.........and for those the fuel becomes one of our biggest household expenses!

But the constant fuel price debate I find rather depressing!

Hemispheres View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 18:13
what about people who need it for work and what not
[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 13:10
It's about time we paid more for gas in North America, and got over our juvenile, selfish, irresponsible infatuation with size, horsepower and freeways. (People need to be able to live near where they work -- cities must be designed/revamped: enough soul-less suburbs!) Angry

The Europeans have been paying significantly more than us for their gas for years, and they are way ahead of us re fuel-efficient vehicles, mass transit, alternate energy, etc.

As environmental degradation increased, what did the average American or Canadian do? Bought a Humvee, a huge 4 x 4, SUV, etc (and gas-powered, noisy weed whackers, leaf blowers and snow blowers, for f*ck's sake)! We pile bird and insect-killing chemicals on our anal-retentive, water sucking "golf-course" lawns, and do our best to erradicate the hardy, native, low/no-maintenance CO2-converting plants that want to grow there. Are we total idiots? Confused (rhetorical questionStern Smile)

We selfish little all-consuming, polluting pr*cks need to stop whining, think of our kids (and their kids) and grow up! Your kid has asthma, and you drive a big SUV, eh? Make the connection, Einstein!

BTW, the good ol' Land o' the Free (USA) creates 25% of the world's greenhouse gases, and Canadians consume more energy per capita than anyone else.

Now, some here will conveniently choose not to "believe in" man-driven climate change (those respected scientists the world over are really just lining their own pockets with this "gloal warming" sham -- yeah, right!), but that's just pure greed and selfishness. These types won't change their ways until forced to do so, and higher gas prices just might make a few trade in that Hummer for a sedan, walk more (gawd forbid), or even buy a shovel and rake....Ermm

Imagine that.Smile

(Rant over!)

Edited by Peter Rideout - May 18 2006 at 13:29
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 13:32
^ I'm a self-confessed car nut but I agree, there's absolutely no point in these huge 4X4's that trundle around getting in the way, only farmers need them.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 14:49
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

^ I'm a self-confessed car nut but I agree, there's absolutely no point in these huge 4X4's that trundle around getting in the way, only farmers need them.

Angry Extremely bloody hell! Those Censored Chelsea tractors are probably the most Censored things on London's roads. Try parking in your local supermarket car park? Think again, some pillock with more money than sense is taking up 2 Censoreding spaces because 'you really need 4 wheel drive to cope with the rough terrain in Waitrose car park'. And so are 15 or 20 others - not a spot of Censoreding mud on any of them. Or maybe they're going to do some adventurous off roading on Wimbledon Common. And the Censoreding school run!!! Why is it necessary to drive something the size of a Sherman tank three quarters of a frigging mile to school gates you can see from your Censoreding bedroom window?

But what's even more galling is the alleged Chancellor of the Exchequer of a supposedly Labour government aiming to reduce emissions yada yada - what does he do? He taxes them - good idea in principle, but fifty bloody quid isn't going to put anybody off buying one of those 3 miles to the litre status symbols - 'Oh dear, either we change to a vehicle more suitable to the urban environment we do 95% of our driving in, or we'll have to stop paying for Adam and Jocasta to attend St Marijuana's academy for young gentlefolk and send them to St Crackhead's comprehensive.' I mean how Censoreding likely is that? Five thousand quid road tax might make them think again, but does he have the guts to do it? Like arse he does.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 15:00
I thoroughly agree Syzygy...........

now make yerself a nice cuppa and take the strain off your blood pressure!!!

Edited by prog-chick - May 18 2006 at 15:01
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

in England gas - or petrol as we call it - is at the moment a smidgeon below £1 a litre and rising, which means nearly £4 a gallon !. blimey i used to fill my tank up for that! can any of our members across the pond tell me what they are exactly paying at the moment ? 

hi fred, right now a rough average across America is at $3/gallon.  i've been to europe a few times in the past ten years and saw what they pay - but the US government has done its best to keep gas prices artificially low (they should be much higher than they are now if they would have been properly adjusted for inflation).  you should hear the politicians shaking in their boots about even this price - it's an election year so the ones (all House members and 1/3 of Senators) who are up for re-election are scrambling to come up with silly ways to combat "the problem". Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12