Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaravan - best recordings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caravan - best recordings
    Posted: May 08 2006 at 15:30
I have been unlucky with Caravan as the only recordings I have listened to involve are "Cunning Stunts", "With the New Symphonia" (ok, but not good or great, ) and "Cool Water", "2001 -  live in Japan" (too pop oriented).

Prog Archives gives Cunning and Symphonia pretty good ratings 

I like everything from etheral Camel to avante guarde Gentle Giant/Van Der Graaff Generator, to Jazz oriented Collessium, to "song oriented" neo-prog like Pendragon/Illuvator, to even space rock like Hawkwind

I have never been impressed with recordings infused 60's hendrix psychedella like the first couple of Pink Floyd and 1969/1970 Moody Blues recordings.

Any suggestions?
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 16:13
In The Land Of Grey And Pink
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
bsurmano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 16:19
 ' If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You'
'Sundown,yellow moon, I replay the past
I know every scene by heart, they all went by so fast.....
Either I'm too sensitive or else I'm gettin' soft.'

Bob Dylan
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 23:22
"For girls who grow plump in the night"

.... Get those 3. There might be something of your interest in atleast one of them.

Edited by chamberry - May 08 2006 at 23:24

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 01:43
The first four albums, especially the second ("If I Could Do....") and the legendary third ("In the Land of Grey and Pink") - in brief, everything with Richard Sinclair. After he left, the band was not the same anymore (though far from bad). A word of warning, though: the first album is very psychedelic, sounding quite often like Barrett-era Floyd (which is a good thing...); while the fourth, "Waterloo Lily", is jazzier than the others (and Pye Hastings sings a bit too much for my tastes).
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 20:17
  My suggestions are:
  1. For girls....
  2. Blind dog.....
  3. Waterloo Lily
  4. Better by Far.
  Why? Everyone will tell you 'In the Land of....' and I can't argue with that. This selection shows the different facets of the band . I've included the much maligned BBF which has been bagged for its commerciality, but it still has some excellent moments imo.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
thai_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 02:20
IMO, the first 5 albums of Caravan: "Caravan"; "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You"; "In The Land Of Grey And Pink"; "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night"; and "Waterloo Lily" are all great. I think the album "In The Land..." is probably Caravan's masterpiece. However, the first 5 albums of Caravan are highly recommended. Wink 
Thai Prog Fan
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 09:01
In the land of the grey and pink all the way. Waterloo lily is probably the next best. Pity Sinclair didn't do most of the vocals on all the albums he played in
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 15:21
The first three albums, 'Caravan', 'If I Could Do It All Over Again...', and 'In The Land Of Grey and Pink', plus 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night', are all peerless albums and amongst the best the genre has to offer.

After that, I'd say 'Cunning Stunts', 'Waterloo Lily' and 'Blind Dog At St Dunstans' are next best- all a bit patchy, but have much to recommend them nonetheless.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 09:25
Originally posted by bsurmano bsurmano wrote:

' If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You'

Of course, and get the Deram remasters with the bonus.
Among the very best sounding prog CDs.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 09:50
For girls who go plump is pretty cheesy. Richard was gone and the band was only half a good. It was annoying enough to have Pye do most of the vocals when such an awesome vocalist like Sinclair was in the band. Pye sings like a girl at times and his voice is aweful in the slower songs. Some of the slower songs on If I could do it all over again...... and Girls go plump sound very amateur and boring when Pye sings. But Pye did a good job on Waterloo lily. The only strong song from start to finish on Girls go plump is the one which the new bass player sings. He sounds like Ozzy
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 15:34
Originally posted by progrocks progrocks wrote:

For girls who go plump is pretty cheesy. Richard was gone and the band was only half a good. It was annoying enough to have Pye do most of the vocals when such an awesome vocalist like Sinclair was in the band. Pye sings like a girl at times and his voice is aweful in the slower songs. Some of the slower songs on If I could do it all over again...... and Girls go plump sound very amateur and boring when Pye sings. But Pye did a good job on Waterloo lily. The only strong song from start to finish on Girls go plump is the one which the new bass player sings. He sounds like Ozzy

Ozzy?!? Ohmygod!Shocked The idea of a band like Caravan with Ozzy-like vocals is strange to say the least... But stranger things have happened in the world of music.

That said, I completely agree with you about Pye Hastings's voice. I reviewed "Waterloo Lily" just yesterday and pointed out that he is not a really bad singer - it's just that I can't stand his voice when he hits the high notes. I'm not crazy about Robert Wyatt either, but he's much more expressive and poignant. Hastings just manages to sound twee most of the time. However, the trouble is... he's not Sinclair.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:05

"Ride" caravan.  Its probably my favorite song by them, although ITLOTGAP and FGWGPIB are both stellar albums and enjoy them thoroughly.  I like the latter a bit more, its more consistent.  On Grey and Pink, "Nine Feet Underground" goes on for way to long, and i enjoy long, songs with unconvential meter that feature an array of intruments.  Its simply seems uneventful. .

Post Reply Post Reply