Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSplit Enz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 18:59
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Not a huge name over here, but bands like Crowded House and Split Enz did alright over here. The Finn Bros. disc did pretty well, too. One of the best discs I bought that year.

E
really?, I should check that out as of late I've been foolishly ignoring a lot of their recent output. Tell me hasn't Tim Finn toured the US recently or shortly I heard him say something like that a couple of months ago, I do know that Split ENz are doing a reunion tour of NZ this year I plan on going to it, it could be their last.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 19:32
Oh, the Finn Bros. (Everyone Is Here I believe is the title) is an excellent disc. Very melodic and acoustic driven, as you can probably envision given that has been a staple in their sound. "Homesick", however, is a very upbeat song with beautiful melodies and orchestration. Probably my favorite from that disc. Highly recommended.

E
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 19:42
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh by the way.. Split Enz has passed initial screening (me hahahah) and has been passed on to the full AR team.  
cool, but whats the AR team?
Oh, Art RockEmbarrassed

hahah.. sorry.. yes the Art Rock team. The band was submitted for consideration today.  Ricochet, one of our members is alway,  so don't fret if you don't hear something for awhile.  They are on the list and will be evaluated and voted on. It just might take a little whlle.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 20:01
awesome! this is what I've been hoping for.Clap

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 03:49
Michael, would you care to write up their bio??

I think the Kiwis should get first shot at this!!!Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 05:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Michael, would you care to write up their bio??

I think the Kiwis should get first shot at this!!!Wink

Wow thanks that would be an honour, I do own their DVD with their documentary on it so I have info of them at my disposal. Yeah I'd be happy to.Smile

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 05:30
Fantastic!Clap We'll be waiting for it, then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 05:34
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Fantastic!Clap We'll be waiting for it, then.

Alright just give me a couple of days to sort it outSmile

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 15:13

[
Originally posted by S Lang S Lang wrote:

Split Enz, Devo, Talking Heads, Ultravox talked about.

I am wondering if it's PA, or my browser was hijacked...? 

The thing is S Lang, have you heard Split Enz album Mental Notes?, to deny its progginess would mean you don't think Free Hand by Gentle Giant is prog. Clearly since your an Aussie you must at least have some basic knowledge of Enz earlier albums?
[/QUOTE]

In this thread SE, Devo, etc. were brought under the same umbrella and Simple Minds, Morcheeba and countless others may yet to come?.My comments refer to rather forced inclusions suggested whilst undisputed Prog artists are resisted. Miles Davis, much of the ECM catalog, If, Stomu Yamashta, Back Door, etc. have been repeatedly put on the backburner, perpetually ignored.

In fairness to SE, they are capable artists, but generally identified with Pop.
From Oz, Kangaroo Moon, DIG, Jackie Orszacky, Tribal Trance, Dean Can Dance and no doubt many others would merit due attention before SE is classified as Prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 03:50

In this thread SE, Devo, etc. were brought under the same umbrella and Simple Minds, Morcheeba and countless others may yet to come?.My comments refer to rather forced inclusions suggested whilst undisputed Prog artists are resisted. Miles Davis, much of the ECM catalog, If, Stomu Yamashta, Back Door, etc. have been repeatedly put on the backburner, perpetually ignored.

From Oz, Kangaroo Moon, DIG, Jackie Orszacky, Tribal Trance, Dean Can Dance and no doubt many others would merit due attention before SE is classified as Prog.

Stephen, Miles Davis will most likely appear in the Archives, it is matter of time. Ditto for If, Chicago, Stomu,  Backdoor and Patto. A timely appearanceWink. Forcing a group into the Archives can only create ill-tempers as we have seen too many times and you are most plainly aware of.

No-one is suggesting that Ulravox and Devo in the Archives. We could also talk of Ultavox and Devo while talking of Genesis (Abacab to We Can't Dance era), but this would not affect the case of Genesis's inclusion, right?!? In the worst case, SE's new wave period is not any worse than Abacrapo or Illegal allien.

The fact is that SE's first four or five albums makes them worthy of inclusion.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 22:35
Well just finished writing my bio of the band and have sent it in feel free to alter anything you feel may need to be. I sent it into band additions section.Smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 22:51
funny you say that... listening to them now.. to prepare for my vote.. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

funny you say that... listening to them now.. to prepare for my vote.. 
well I hope your not listening to Conflicting emotions or Time and TideLOL.

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 04:49

Stephen, Miles Davis will most likely appear in the Archives, it is matter of time. Ditto for If, Chicago, Stomu,  Backdoor and Patto. A timely appearanceWink.

I'd be really surprised if they wouldn't - one day. So far, their names have been mentioned, debated, ignored only for a couple of years.and whilst prog-ish artists are deserving of encouragement, Prog heavyweights are not to pay the price?  
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:28
I thought this was a case of prog-related. Some non-prog artist with few prog material, no matter how good is this prog material.

With the same line of thought for Split Enz in Art Rock we could have Journey, Chicago, Miles Davis, Stomu Yamashta in full prog categories. Even Talk Talk, APP, etc could be promoted to a full prog genre.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:34
I agree with having them in PR, though I think my other teammates agreed with adding them to Art Rock. And Talk Talk are already in Art Rock, if my memory serves me well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:41

Stephen, Miles Davis will most likely appear in the Archives, it is matter of time. Ditto for If, Chicago, Stomu,  Backdoor and Patto. A timely appearanceWink.

I'd be really surprised if they wouldn't - one day. So far, their names have been mentioned, debated, ignored only for a couple of years.and whilst prog-ish artists are deserving of encouragement, Prog heavyweights are not to pay the price?  

Paying the price for what? I wonder!!!  I hardly think Miles and Chicago need the Archives to sell albums. They are the only voluntarily delayed to avoid controversy. If is the only victim because of its similarity to Chicago.

For the other three Backdoor, Patto and Stomu (which simply lack someone willing to tacle the inclusion itself) , if you write the bios, I can open the artist entry page (you will get credit for your text)  and once that page is opened, you can fill in the albums. But I suggest you prepare everything before you start, because additions of bands and entering their discography are time consuming and lengthy. Remember that the entire discography must be entered (at least studio and live album at the very minimum)

Instead of complaining, I'm offering you a chance to participate to resorb the backlog.

Are you game?

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I agree with having them in PR, though I think my other teammates agreed with adding them to Art Rock. And Talk Talk are already in Art Rock, if my memory serves me well.

Unfortunately, Raffaella, your memory is not serving you well. Talk Talk are still in Prog Related. Maybe these are the effects of the advanced ageLOL.

Ok, I know I will be this way (Ouch) after you read my post.

I hope we not lose the good convivence as fellow members of the site Hug.

LOL

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 05:01

Paying the price for what? I wonder!!!  I hardly think Miles and Chicago need the Archives to sell albums. They are the only voluntarily delayed to avoid controversy. If is the only victim because of its similarity to Chicago.

For the other three Backdoor, Patto and Stomu (which simply lack someone willing to tacle the inclusion itself) , if you write the bios, I can open the artist entry page (you will get credit for your text)  and once that page is opened, you can fill in the albums. But I suggest you prepare everything before you start, because additions of bands and entering their discography are time consuming and lengthy. Remember that the entire discography must be entered (at least studio and live album at the very minimum)

Instead of complaining, I'm offering you a chance to participate to resorb the backlog.

Are you game?

About a year ago Dick Heath provided an extensive discography and comments on Stomu Yamashta. It was largely ignored then. Who am I to expect more attention than Dick? He also supported interest in Back Door.
I don't recall SE being supported for inclusion with such authority, yet they are just about in. Funny that...

BTW, who, what is Patto? I never mentioned that name and am totally unfamiliar with he/she/them.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 06:01
What I find interesting, is taht when I conducted an official poll last year, the idea of Split Enz being included was condemned by a good majority.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>