Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer tours North America May 06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carl Palmer tours North America May 06
    Posted: May 11 2006 at 14:09
Don't know if this is old news or what, but  I thought it might be of interest to any fan of ELP.

Article from "Brave Words And Bloody Knuckles" (heavy metal-?)- publication from Toronto, Canada.

"ELP Drumming Icon Comments On Rare North American Tour" (interview by Martin Popoff)

Emerson, Lake and Palmer legend CARL PALMER is bringing a power trio over to North America, for dates beginning in late May.  Included in the CARL PALMER BAND are guitarist PAUL BIELATOWICZ and bassist STUART CLAYTON.

"The show will last roughly an hour and 50 minutes", says Palmer.  "It's a three-piece band that I have, an instrumental band.  We're playing a lot of classical adaptations.  There's no real blues or jazz involved in what we do.  It's really a sort of hard-edged metal-prog-instrumental band. There isn't any other way of putting it.  I play quite a few of the Emerson Lake and Palmer things that we played; things that weren't actually written by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but instead were classical adaptations; things we re-arranged and did various things with.  But it's with guitar though, because there's no keyboard in the band.  And I also play some pieces I've written myself, or with other people like Keith Emerson or Joe Walsh. There is a feature for the lead guitar player, in a piece called 'Flight Of The Bumblebee', which is quite extraordinary.  That's really what it is."

I asked Carl; given the physicality of drumming, if age has blunted his attack to any extent.

"Well, I mean, I try to run five days a week when I'm at home", he replies.  " I mean, when I put down the phone to you, I'll be playing for approximately an hour and a half.  I leave for Austria on Thursday, and I'm away for 4 days with my band.  I've had both of my hands operated on, for carpal tunnel syndrome.  There's a small amount of muscle degeneration in both of the thumbs.  I've managed to overcome that now.   This all happened in about '97.  I don't really have any arthritis to speak of.  I mean; I get stiff like everybody does; from holding the phone too long; I get a criculation problem.  But that's just normal.  No; I would say that I've been pretty lucky.  One always has to take care of one's self.  But generally, I've been involved in a helth regime since I was about 27.  I'm pretty strict with myself."

Please see www.carlpalmer.com for more details. 
Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...
 Post Reply Post Reply