FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForeigner = worst album ever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreigner = worst album ever
    Posted: May 13 2006 at 17:36
I bought the debut album by Foreigner a few months ago and I can honestly say it's the worst album I've ever bought. How the hell could Mcdonald go from King Crimson to Mcdonald & Giles to Foreigner? Foreigner must be the worst 70s band I've ever heard, they are so totally generic, inoffensive (meaning totally non experimental in any way) and ridiculously bland that I am simply unable to fathom it. Is there actually anyone that likes this abyssmal band?
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 17:55
Yes, I like the debut, it doesn´t have to be prog to be good.
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 19:16
Yeah, I seem to recollect having their Ist album in a former life (cassette-man!), & it was decent enough, from memory. Quite like City Boy, whose eponymous album I also had at that time, & who were, I suggest, underrated (although included here, under prog!)  A very different kind of beastie from what they (Foreigner) eventually became, though.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:52
It feels like the first time...
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:05
Amazing vocals, great sense of melody, emotional and just plain entertaining music. You can still like it even if it's played on the radio and didn't forge any new ground.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 10:18
The early Foreigner albums were AOR but great AOR.

Lou Gramm has a tremendous voice.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 12:15
'Worst album ever'? No chance in hell- I thought Foreigner were always one of the very best AOR bands, combining well crafted heavy rock with a pop sheen. Although I'd say a 'best of' is arguably better than any one album they made (though all of them from the debut til '4' at least are very good albums), they were first class songwriters.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 16:12

THIS is the worst? I bet you haven't heard their "Agent Provocateur" album.

This kind of illustrates how a lot of mainstream music in the 70's was unexciting. Their big 80's hit "I Want To Know What Love Is" demonstrates why choirs and rock don't go together well.

I kind of enjoyed their album "4" but that was years ago. I'm willing to bet my tastes have changed.

Edited by darren - May 14 2006 at 16:14
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
DrGoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 03:33
Nah Foreigner was Cat Stevens' best album, virtually prog rock.

Oh wait, THAT Foreigner. It's bland and uninspiring, but it doesn't even get close to "worst album ever". If you had grown up in Britain when I did, you'd have seen bands on Top Of The Pops that likely made much much worse albums - I'd venture that anything by The Baron Knights, Chaz and Dave or Black Lace is far worse. I suspect I'd like any Foreigner album more than one by Westlife or S Club 7, to pick some modern sh*te.

If that's the worst thing in your collection, you're doing okay. Trade it in or use it as a skeet.
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 01:28
"Yes, I like the debut, it doesn´t have to be prog to be good."
Of course it doesn't have to be prog to be good. I'm not like some of the idiots on this site that don't like anything unless it's prog. Actually I prefer psychedelic music to prog.

"You can still like it even if it's played on the radio and didn't forge any new ground."
I don't care if something get's radio play or not. Not forging new ground is totally unacceptable though if the songs are so awful.

"I bet you haven't heard their "Agent Provocateur" album."
Nope haven't heard it and I hope I never hear another Foreigner album. :)

"If that's the worst thing in your collection, you're doing okay. Trade it in or use it as a skeet."
I like to keep it along with Badfinger's awful 'Head First' album to remind me of how bad 70s music can be.

Gog/Magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 09:23
If you ask me you were asking for trouble buying a Foreigner album in the first place Ouch
Some swear they see me weeping in the poppy fields of France
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 19:08
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

"Yes, I like the debut, it doesn´t have to be prog to be good."
Of course it doesn't have to be prog to be good. I'm not like some of the idiots on this site that don't like anything unless it's prog. Actually I prefer psychedelic music to prog.

If you are into psychedelic music, why did you buy a Foreigner album?Confused
   And another idea is that not every band or album that one doesn't like should be considered "BAD". For instance I don't like Magma but I've never said it's the worst music ever...
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 19:18
Foreigner released very commercial albums but they had some good quality in their music. As it was mentioned before, Lou Gramm is a very good singer. After McDonald left in 1981 (at the same time as their other keyboard player, Al Greenwood, in fact both were fired after having problems with  the musical direction of the band mainly with guitarist Mick Jones)  they became even more commercial, but still with some good songs.

Maybe their worst album was an album called "Unusual Heat" from 1991, recorded without Gramm. I have not listened to this album yet, but I know that it didn`t sell the same as their previous albums, so this album is out of print.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 20:08
I've always liked it, ever since it was released in 1977. Brings back some great memories for me. I think there is far worse things to expend energy disliking.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 20:10
I would say that Green Day- or Backstreet Boys have the "worst album ever" Not band that actually plays music comes to mind

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 21:33
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

I bought the debut album by Foreigner a few months ago and I can honestly say it's the worst album I've ever bought. How the hell could Mcdonald go from King Crimson to Mcdonald & Giles to Foreigner? Foreigner must be the worst 70s band I've ever heard, they are so totally generic, inoffensive (meaning totally non experimental in any way) and ridiculously bland that I am simply unable to fathom it. Is there actually anyone that likes this abyssmal band?

Guess you havent heard much.LOL
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 23:26

I think that some people ask themselves why McDonald was playing in Foreigner. I visited some years ago one website dedicated to Foreigner (I think that it was Rhino Records website announcing the new Foreigner Box-Set which title I can`t remember now). They reproduced the notes of the booklet of that Box Set. It has a long story of the band. I remember that I read that the band was really started by guitarist Mick Jones, who was unemployed at that time (1975-76) after the split of Spooky Tooth, a band he played between 1972 and 1974. He started recruiting musicians in New York, which was the city he lived since the split of Spooky Tooth. He also found McDonald, who had been working in other things, not in music. So, he joined the band Jones was forming. By the time they had the band with their six original members (Jones, McDonald, Gramm, keyboardist Al Greenwood, drummer Dennis Elliott, and bassist Ed Gagliardi) and they had a recording contract with Atlantic, both became co-producers of the albums of the band, but Jones was the Musical Director, so he had the main power to say which musical style the band was going to follow.Jones said that he was working very well with McDonald for the first two albums, "Foreigner" (1977) and "Double Vision" (1978), because he admired McDonald`s as multi-instrumentalist (he played horns, woodwind, keyboards and guitars and also sung backing vocals). By the time of their third album called "Head Games" (1979, with Gagliardi being fired before recording it), which was also co-produced by both, problems started when McDonald wanted more to be guitar player most of the time and also wanted to write more songs. Also there were problems with keyboard player Al Greenwood, who also wanted to write more songs for the band. Jones saw the band mainly as his band, so the other 3 (Gramm, Elliott and new bassist Rick Wills) supported Jones, and both McDonald and Greenwood were fired. Their next album was recorded as a quartet (with additional session musicians), called "4", and the band became even more commercial and successful in the eighties. I think that McDonald needed a job so he was in Foreigner for some years. IMO, the 3 albums recorded with the six members line-up are the best in their discography. But I still can`t understand why McDonald, being a very talented musician, didn`t have the same success in his musical career. He disappeared for years until being in Foriegner, and since he left the band he disappeared again for a lot of years until recording his solo album in the late `90s. I also read an interview done with McDonald for a Foreigner`s Fans Website. He said that he never wanted to leave Foreigner. He was asked to leave the band because Jones wanted the band for himself only.

Post Reply Post Reply