Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNational pride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Do you feel any national pride?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [61.29%]
24 [38.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 09:31

I`m not particulary proud of being a norwegian.

I would say I feel lucky being born here (not because of the weatherWink).

I`ve spent a few years in a third world country and watching and talking to those people I realized that I`ve been damn lucky.
Big smile

http://daccord-music.com/home.cfm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 09:37
I'm more proud of my cultural background, LATIN - spiced, sometimes heavily, here and there with Amerindian (Native) and African influences.

But I love my country, many wrong things but a great potential - unfortunately it seems we are growing in the mistaken direction repeating the same errors done by others.
Guigo

~~~~~~
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 10:14
I'm proud to say I'm American,and I love my country.

I already put my life on the line for it,and would gladly do so again.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 10:16

Holland is a wealthy, pleasant and tolerant country to live but "feeling any national pride", not really Confused : we became rich by plundering and using slaves in South - and Central America, we suffered from underpression in World War II bur directly after this war we did terrible things in Indonesia in order to keep our multinational interest (oil company Shell, our royal family owns many stocks Angry ) and at this moment we are a puppet on the strings of the right wing hawks in the USA government. More and more we look like an oversea state of the USA: money rules and everybody is focussed on material things Dead ...

But I am proud of musicans like Finch, Trace, Focus, Earth & Fire and Ayreon, painters like Vincent Van Gogh and Rembrandt and football players like Johan Cruijff, Marco Van Basten and Ruud Van Nistelrooij because our small nation has created so many creative and inventive individuals, that has something to do with the special atmosphere in Holland.

Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 11:07
^ agreed. When I said 'no' it was mostly based on all the negative things such as slave trading we did in the past. But I also disagree with a lot of things our government is planning to do, such as kicking families out of the country, knowing that in their home country they'll be killed.

Or the kiss-ass attempts at Defence... in Afghanistan, Iraque, Sudan... CensoredWacko

As you pointed out Erik there are some good things, such as the wealth and the friendliness of most people in society and some people who are good at sports.. these are the things we should hold on to.
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 11:12
Well Tristan, I hope to be proud on the national team during the World Championship in Germany this summer .. Wink !
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 11:26
As an Argentinian, I fell very proud of my country, mainly because of the past characters that have made progress my country over the years: Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, San Martín, Belgrano, etc. Clap But then, unfortunately, Argentina started to decay, mainly because of corruption and things bad done, from the Perón governement up to now ... Disapprove I hope someday we'll grow as a contry and we know how to fight against povety and opther problems of the society ...

And I like a lot the History of my country !! Thumbs Up

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 12:41

Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I see no reason for you not to be proud. Since when has Canada (or Quebec for that matter) started a war and lied to its people about it?

In any case, I don't think there should be nations at all, but rather one unified world. It's laughable, I know, but I feel more of a duty to protect and serve the world than to protect and serve the United States in specific. That notion seems incredibly selfish and isolationist. That's also why the concept of treason baffles me. If my country is doing something I consider wrong, and I join the the other side, one I consider doing the right thing, what gives my country the right to say I'm committing treason. In a globalist point of view, there is no such thing as treason I believe, unless some aliens start attacking Earth and I join them.
wow thats what my  ex-marine,vietnam vet,Biology teacher used to say

FYI - Marines never consider themselves to be "ex" ("One a Marine always a Marine", you know). I served twelve years in the Corps myself, but I also know that not many of the things this country has fought to 'defend' were particularly honorable or noble ventures.

At the risk of sounding very mushy, I will say that I am proud to be in a place that is (or at least used to be) a symbol of the promise of freedom and possibilities. If only we can figure out the right way to act as responsible members of the human race, our country has a lot to offer.

The two most amazing experiences I've ever had in my life (other than when my kids were born) were

1 - Riding the Staten Island ferry across New York Bay and seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I looked around in every direction and was humbled by the hundreds of buildings, bridges, boats, and construction, nearly all of it built in the past hundred years or so. This was all built by tens of thousands people of all races, creeds, colors, nationalities, and backgrounds. I can't describe it justly, you really just have to see it in person - it's absolutely stunning!

2 - Standing in front of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC on Memorial Day. Again, can't be described - has to be experienced to fully appreciate. But the point here is that one can never forget that for anything any nation does right, it also does many things wrong, and we must guard against becoming so nationalistic that we blindly assume we (Americans or anyone else) are somehow better than anyone else. You can't stand at that place and witness the total despair that so many visitors are expressing who lost pieces of their lives in that place (both Vietnamese and soldiers and their families), and ever again believe that our nation is somehow superior. I believe that any nation of people who believe that are destined to not only ultimate failure, but also destined to cause the human race as a whole to take another in a generation of steps backwards.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 13:49
I think each country has things people can be proud of (culture, nature of ordinary people etc) and things that are national shame (past and/or present wars, political games, ...).
Anyway my answer is yes.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 13:56
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well Tristan, I hope to be proud on the national team during the World Championship in Germany this summer .. Wink !

I hope to be proud of them too... without Kalou Wink
You can find them HERE

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 14:46
And without Klaas Jan Huntelaar ..CryCry ..
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:13
I love my country, i like the roots of the history, i like our customs and traditions, we have beautiful zones when we can stay and enjoy the landscape, we have a very special and delicious kind of food, music.. maybe not the best, but is ok...

Like any country Mexico has awful things... insecurity, stress ,smog, bad poiticians, etc..
at least in Mexico City (where i live) , we have a mix of all that good and bad things... my city is not the best and most beautiful of my country, is so crowded and sometimes looks horrible, but one of the best poinst is our culture.

Anyway, im proud to be Mexican, because we are special and unique people!Wink

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:34
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

i am very proud to be English, over hundreds of  years England has managed to fight, upset, bullyexploit, help, and inspire almost every other country in the world at one time or another -  i'm not sure if they love us or hate us!! Confused
plus you had like the biggest empire ever, and it's just a little island.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

I love my country, i like the roots of the history, i like our customs and traditions, we have beautiful zones when we can stay and enjoy the landscape, we have a very special and delicious kind of food, music.. maybe not the best, but is ok...

Like any country Mexico has awful things... insecurity, stress ,smog, bad poiticians, etc..
at least in Mexico City (where i live) , we have a mix of all that good and bad things... my city is not the best and most beautiful of my country, is so crowded and sometimes looks horrible, but one of the best poinst is our culture.

Anyway, im proud to be Mexican, because we are special and unique people!Wink
plus mexican food is the best.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 16:14
Is there any Prog Mariachi to be proud of Memowakeman?
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I'm very proud of the Neutral Zone.
The best place to be.

Switzerland? Lucky.
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 17:17
I'm extremely proud of my nation, the Isle of Man. It's an amazing little country of around 78,000 people that has one of the highest standards of living in the world and offers superb healthcare, social security and pensions to its citizens in return for a maximum tax rate of 18%.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 17:28
^ I read 80% EmbarrassedLOL
You can find them HERE

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Is there any Prog Mariachi to be proud of Memowakeman?
LOLNot at all...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 19:03
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Why should I feel national pride? I just happened to be born here.

Why should you be proud of your own achievements? You just happened to be born in your body, in your environment and with your genes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>