Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coheed and Cambria
    Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:44
I've listened to Coheed and Cambria's studio albums even before I got interested in this whole progressive rock thing, and I've heard and read a lot of people call them progressive rock.

However, I've also heard other people argue against this; and, they also aren't listed here on progarchives... so... are they prog or aren't they?

And... what are your thoughts on this band? I think they're pretty decent.
Progdrummer05 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:48
oh dude definitely prog rock in fact i've heard critics claiming them as the next Rush but its weird their first album had some prog moments in their and then they really stepped up in their second and third.  But yea definite prog band and one of my favorites as well
Carry On My Wayward Son
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:50
Yes! A Coheed thread again! Finally!.....um....anyways.....Yeah they're what helped in part to turn me onto prog. However, in the traditional sense, no, they aren't full blown prog. However, they incorporate many elements of prog, therefore, I think they should be filed on PA under "Prog-Related". I still listen to them a lot, and if you're looking for the most progressive album by them, in my opinion, its In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. Don't be thrown off by the "emo" tag, their lyrics have NOTHING to do w/ emo stuff. Well, someone dies like every song, but its a STORY, so its cool.

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:51
I have Good apollo... and I find them quite progy. I think they do deserve to be here at least as prog related.

richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:54
Oh god, this thread will probably turn into a big argumentative mess as all C&C threads on forums tend to.

1. They're not like Rush, their vocalist just happens to sing a bit like Geddy

2. they're not traditional sounding prog rock, but they're certainly 'proggy', and are quite progressive and adventurous (3 concept albums all telling 1 big story, some pretty damn experimental rock music etc).

v.good band though, I'm glad they've got popular, I remember seeing them live supporting Thursday many years ago (2002?) and thinking they were really f**king good.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:13

I wouldn't say they're prog related, they're definitly a full blown art rock band. I hope that theyll get added here someday.

The Rush camparisons are very annoying and yeah I agree the only similarity is the high pitched voice of Cladio. They draw many  more influences from Floyd, in their sound, and their live show.(Taking the stage to "One Of These Days" and singing to the guitar solos like Gilmour)
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Inferno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:16
They may not be Traditional Prog rock but who wants to hear the same whole thing that they did 30 years ago. They we're very awesome band but evolution in the genre is good too you know!

I happen to think that C&C are one of the few bands that evolve in that genre, like The Mars Volta, Dredg, Oceansize, Amplifier, etc.

I'm sick of hearing Clones of Legendary bands like The Watch (Genesis), or Wobbler, Magic Pie, etc..

They are good but hell, Try something different then what's been done before. Everybody says that pop is boring because they do the same old thing on every single song and don't evolve in the genre...well, they are the same but in the Prog Genre!!

GO Coheed GO!
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:19
While not my cup of tea, I'm sure C&C could be fit somewhere into this site, considering we have the likes of Queen, Purple and Primus...

Yeah
Mr. Sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 02:08
I think C&C aren't so much progressive, moreso...kind of 80's style rock/metal. They have alot of prog-ish moments in their albums though so I would agree with C&C being "Prog-Related", but they are definately not prog.
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 03:45
I don't really see them as prog.Very good band but barely prog.Just being good doesn't qualify them!
lastdodobird View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 06:28
Well... this just got moved to the non-prog section, so I guess that answers the question. LOL
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 06:37
Definitely prog-related.
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
nursethisviper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 08:09

Prog is a heavy influence on C&C but they still sound too mainstream for me -- emo is a big influence on the vocal style and the music itself. The lyrics aren't, which fools some people into thinking they have nothing to do with emo... but Claudio screams too much to not be influenced by emo. 

I guess prog-related would be a good category for them.
Proggin' it up eight days a week...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:12
I have said on previous threads that they are a 'prog related' band at best. Really, all I hear is emo rock fused with Rush. Mars Volta have trod a quite similar path yet aren't quite as emo (thank God as I really dislike that genre) and are far more musically innovative. I don't think they are any more progressive than metal bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Metallica- possibly less, imo.
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I have said on previous threads that they are a 'prog related' band at best. Really, all I hear is emo rock fused with Rush. Mars Volta have trod a quite similar path yet aren't quite as emo (thank God as I really dislike that genre) and are far more musically innovative. I don't think they are any more progressive than metal bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Metallica- possibly less, imo.

I agree with this 100%. I don't find much about their music prog except for the fact that they do long concept albums that span 3 or 4 discs. When I hear their music it reminds me of a more metal and more sophisticated Taking Back Sunday. It's not bad music, it's okay I guess, but certainly not prog (prog related at best.)

The mars volta are very innovative and are pushing boundaries with their concept albums, whereas C&C are just playing standard rock/metal/emo with some prog influence.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Kailiebe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 14:48
Coheed and Cambria are amazing - they are definitely prog rock. Claudio Sanchez said that they considered themsleves prog rock, maybe not very good, but definitely prog rock. Just listening to their albums though, you can tell that they have been heavily influenced by classical and folk music (listen to hidden track at end of Willing Well IV: The Final Cut).

I wouldn't class them as emo though.
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't iy.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 16:14
They definitely have Prog elements, but the basic songwriting is very, very common, sadly. This is one of those bands I really wanted to like, because their hearts seem to be in the right place, but too much of it sounds like regular Rock/Metal to really complement the proggy passages and structures.

Prog-related? Yes.

I think they may yet have a real prog album in them, though. They seem to be developing in the right direction.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 20:41
Hmmm, well I have their recent album and I like a few tracks, but some are really quite awful as well.  I also had the pleasure of seeing them live... but they didn't have their usual drummer, so they finished early.  They also didn't sound prog in any way live.  They finished with a long guitar jam type thing, which was very good, I admit, but they played it because the sit-in drummer didn't know the music.

I don't think they're prog from what I've heard.  The "proggy" moments to me, seem to be at the beginning and end of tracks.  Once the tracks actually start, they're pretty standard rock fair.  Welcome Home is actually a good tune and has a nice intro, but it's not especially prog.

I've never thought of Rush as terribly prog either.  Rush are Art Rock (not anything to do with prog rock) and that is also where Co&Ca belong.
Dr4Wazo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 00:46
We would need to add a new section Progressive-Commercial-Crap-Rock
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 01:00

this thread might be interesting. I think there are others as well.

Edited by video vertigo - June 29 2006 at 01:02
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>