FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpocks Beard and Related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spocks Beard and Related
    Posted: February 26 2004 at 04:52

Are there any other fans of Spock Beard in here?

I read a review in Classic rock Magazine(uk) concerning a band called Transatlantic. Based on that review, I went out and bought their album 'Bridge Across Forever. After hearing that, i found they were doing a European tour and was lucky enough to get to see them In London. I thought they were brilliant that night and promptly bought the other Transatlantic cd 'SMPTe. Again I was very impressed and thought Neal Morse was a great song writer. This lead me to start purchasing my Spocks Beard collection which is now nearly complete. Unfortunatlely, Neal Morse has left that band now and so I wont get to see him with SB, though I did see him perform Testimony in London last November. I have also gone out and bought The Flower Kings, 'Unfold The Future', which I think is ok but doesn,t really grab me.

Dream Theater has not really grabbed me either, although I think Mike Portnoy is one of the best drummers I have ever heard alongside Cozy powell and Ian Paice. Musically they are great but I just dont like James LaBrie's voice I'm afraid and thats enough to stop me purchasing the cds.

Reading that review in Classic Rock has so far cost me a small fortune but It sure has enhanced my musical tastes.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 17:54

Yes, Spock's Beard have recorded some great albums, especially their last (lol) record : 'Snow' (I don't regard their very last album as a Spock album). By the way, does anyone in the forum know about another great artist that mastered Spock's 'Beware of darkness' : Kevin Gibert, he has one of the best voices I ever heard in the pop-prog music and is (was, RIP) a talented artist. Songs such as 'simpler times', 'In every line', 'goodman badman' feature sublime voices and no less fantastic keyboard work. Other songs such as the incredible 'another day' or 'blank page' and 'when strangers part' are beautiful balads. Just before he died, he had renewed his links with Spock by working with NDV (Spock's drummer) cf 'Thud' or 'Live at the 'Troubadour'.It's really a shame he died so soon (he was maybe 30 years old). To come back to Spock's and relatives work, I think the peak of Spock's musical ideas was reached with 'Testimony' : all the ingredients of Spock's music are there (except maybe the canon vocals à la Gentle giant) : latin sections, poignant choirs, pop-rock passages, symphonic sections. Neal Morse also brought his unique voice to one of the many Ayreon projects (actually I don't remember on which one it was). Apart from Neal Morse, Ryo Okumoto has also recorded solo albums, the last one featuring members of Toto (a band that is often underrated to my mind : their first record 'Toto' is a very good blend of jazz-rock and pop, and 'the seventh one' features great vocals and excellent rhythm section by the late Jeff Porcaro) and the incomparable Simon Philipps on drums. There are some nice tunes on this record but overall it's not to recommend to you, Spock's Beard fan. Transatlantic is a great supergroup, and even better on stage (their 'Live in America' is one of the best live performances I ever heard from a progressive band). I saw Flower Kings on stage recently, but I must admit that these guys don't impress me as much as Spock. In fact, apart from their truly prog songs (the amazing opening track on 'Unfold the future' for instance), they have released some 'crappy' songs (probably remains of Roine's attraction for the pop market in the eighties). That's all folks !

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 11:11

Yeah Starship,

I'm into TA and SP. I haven't picked up all the SB disc yet, but I'm working on it. Unfold the future from TFK is a bit weak and hard to listen to the whole thing. Something else you may want to check out is, The Tangent "The Music that Died Alone." It's my selection for the 2003 Prog disc of the year. Also, check out Syzygy, "The Allegory of Light" Great Prog. 

StarshipTrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 19:03
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Yeah Starship,

I'm into TA and SP. I haven't picked up all the SB disc yet, but I'm working on it. Unfold the future from TFK is a bit weak and hard to listen to the whole thing. Something else you may want to check out is, The Tangent "The Music that Died Alone." It's my selection for the 2003 Prog disc of the year. Also, check out Syzygy, "The Allegory of Light" Great Prog. 

Cheers Danbo.

I will look out for some sound clips from The Tangent and see what they're like, same with the other band you mention. Is there a way of pronouncing that name?

Progrockr78 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2004 at 22:09

I am a SB and TA fan too.  I have all of the available SB studio works (Light, Beware of Darkness, Kindness of Strangers, Day for Night, V, Snow, and Feel Euphoria). I agree that "Snow" was an excellent piece of art, and I also have to say "Feel Euphoria" is ok, but the absence of Neal has altered their style. It's still Prog, and I think NDV has an awesome voice, but I think that Neal had a major influence in their sound. Anyone agree with me?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 04:51
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper StarshipTrooper wrote:

Yeah Starship,

Cheers Danbo.

I will look out for some sound clips from The Tangent and see what they're like, same with the other band you mention. Is there a way of pronouncing that name?

I have The Music That Died Alone now. It is now on constant play. What a superb find. Cheers.

wizard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 06:30

Firstly, starship, I am quite quite a fan of Spock's Beard, but I find Neal Morse's song-writing cheesy and a bit pop at times.  Though "Snow" is superb.

"Feel Euphoria" is IMO a very good album.  The band are without some of Morse's creative spark, but that means they've also cut down on the cheese.

As far as the Flower Kings and Dream Theater go, give them a few more listens before you give up on them.  I'd heartily recommend "Stardust We Are" by TFK and "Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory" by DT.

Lord of lords, king of kings, has returned to lead his children home
To take them to the new jerusalem!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 10:28

Hey Starship,

Another band which I've gotten hooked on is Salem Hill. They are not as prog as SB, but the vocals are great, the musicianship superb and the lyrics are interesting and thought provoking. They've got a new one called "Be" and Robbery of Murder.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 07:14

Hey Starship,

Another band which I've gotten hooked on is Salem Hill. They are not as prog as SB, but the vocals are great, the musicianship superb and the lyrics are interesting and thought provoking. They've got a new one called "Be" and Robbery of Murder.

Danbo.

You are costing me a fortune

OK. I will look out for some sound clips of Salem Hill.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 10:20

Starship, While you're at it, check out "Yellow Matter Custard"

http://www.progressiveworld.net/yellowmattercustard.html

Morse, Portnoy, Paul Gilbert and Matt Bissonette covering Beatles tunes. You may like

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 10:46
What do you think about the last album from Neil Morse? And can Spock's Beard still do the effort without him?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:33

I didn't think it was bad... I just didn't think it was Beard. Lyrically or sonically. Big Change. They should have changed the name or something. When PG left Genesis and PC took over vocals, the music was still Genesis and Collins was not all that different from Gabriel (I'll get beat-up form that one). The next disc will tell the tale. The boys had to show it wasn't the Neal Morse Show. They showed some great chops but they also proved that SB was, is, whatever, Neal Morse.

Strickly my view.

NEXT

Raelynn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 12:58

Hey all,

This is my first time posting here.  I just stumbled across the site recently.  I'd have to agree that Feel Euphoria wasn't quite as good as the albums with Neal Morse.  It wasn't bad, but it didn't stand up to some of the earlier albums.  I do think the next album will be the one that truely tells how they'll be without him.

As for Dream Theater, I would also say that Metropolis Pt 2 is one of their best.  That and Images and Words seem to me to be the best starting points for Dream Theater.

~Frank

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:16

Starship, While you're at it, check out "Yellow Matter Custard"

http://www.progressiveworld.net/yellowmattercustard.html

Morse, Portnoy, Paul Gilbert and Matt Bissonette covering Beatles tunes. You may like

I have Yellow Matter Custard. It sure is a fun album. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and I reckon they have certainly done those songs justice.

As for Feel Euphoria. On first playing, I hated it. It was to much of a change from Neal Morse. Now I have played it many times, I find I do like it but agree the next album is going to be the big make or break for me. I just hope Neal Morse doesn,t make another Christian based album next time. Musically, Testimony is ok-ish but lyrically not my cup of tea.

Danbo. Please...no more recommendations well not just yet. Right, where do I find the Salem Hill clips?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:37

You are a gentleman. Thanks very much for those links.

Coincidently, I have Spocks Beard playing through Delicious Agony right now. I assume this is the best radio station for prog.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 08:28
Originally posted by Progrockr78 Progrockr78 wrote:

I am a SB and TA fan too.  I have all of the available SB studio works (Light, Beware of Darkness, Kindness of Strangers, Day for Night, V, Snow, and Feel Euphoria). I agree that "Snow" was an excellent piece of art, and I also have to say "Feel Euphoria" is ok, but the absence of Neal has altered their style. It's still Prog, and I think NDV has an awesome voice, but I think that Neal had a major influence in their sound. Anyone agree with me?

I entirely agree with you. SB without Neal Morse is another band, more rock oriented.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 08:47

Originally posted by Hammar Hammar wrote:

What do you think about the last album from Neil Morse? And can Spock's Beard still do the effort without him?

On his last solo effort, N Morse proves that he is the soul of SB, as the music is in the style of the earlier SB albums. "Testimony" is a great album, I think even better than Spock's Beard. About the new direction SB took, I think their music will surely appeal to a wider range of people but hard-core fans of SB, such as myself, won't follow them anymore. (David and Goliath)

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 11:30

When PG left Genesis and PC took over vocals, the music was still Genesis and Collins was not all that different from Gabriel (I'll get beat-up form that one). 

It was still Genesis for sure (for a few years...), but Gabriel had a more distinctive voice, perfectly made for that kind of progressive rock. I feel that Collins, unsuccessfully, tried to copy Gabriel in a few occasions. However, I like his voice as well..

When it comes to Peter Gabriel and Neil Morse leaving their respectively bands, an interesting point appears.

Genesis were still successfull after PG's departure and still made some great music (for a few years...), but I don't think Spock's Beard does. Suddenly Spock's Beard is an average band and that is just because of Neil Morse? I think so. But look at Genesis again, with people as Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and not at least Steve Hackett, all capable of making great progressive music as composers.  No surprise that they still did it...

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 11:43

I have to totally agree with you StarshipTrooper about Neil Morse and his Testimony. His message is more important than the music and it doesn't work for me. I think it's ok and his melodies are beatiful, but I miss the real progressivness from the Spock's period. Maybe the album is too long? When that said, I agree with Lucas, this is the real Spock's Beard....

Post Reply Post Reply