Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbiffy clyro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: biffy clyro
    Posted: May 14 2006 at 14:53
biffy clyro should be included in the archives

................................................................................................................................................
HELLO
UnknownFlow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 14:57
Yes, possibly. They most certainly arn't full blown prog' but I do like to listen to them they have a lot of prog influences and they use a lot of techiniques associated with prog E.g the use of difficult Time Signatures and odd structures and their lyrics. So at least prog related I'd say, in my opinion they are at least as progressive as Radiohead for example.

(Just for sake of argument, lol)
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:13
I had high expectations after finding about them rather accidentally. Supposedly they are influenced by Rush, but I didn't really catch the similarity after listening to one of their albums.

Not really an expert view here, but I suspect you will not get them any further than Prog-Related, if anywhere else. Seemed like a clever Indie rock act, and most good, real Indie is pretty clever. Not really a trait associated with prog, the Indie genre is an artistic one. While we're at it, why not add The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse and Xiu Xiu? Actually, the latter could be added in the Post-Rock/Experimental category, as they are as Experimental and, dare I say it, Avant-Garde as it gets and nobody else sounds quite like them(although I must warn that their singer's occassionally homoerotic lyrics would embarass even the most masculine of proggers LOL).

I also "love" it how most people refer to Radiohead as an example of something not very progressive to get unworthy groups in.

-- Ivan
nursethisviper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 19:52
Thumbs Down Not prog. They are about as progressive as Radiohead was on Pablo Honey... that is to say, not much. They seem less progressive than, say, a band like Coheed and Cambria... who have a comparable sound. C&C have concept albums and obtuse lyrics (which BC don't have), but neither are on PA.
Proggin' it up eight days a week...
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 00:44
Musically, BC are far more progressive than C&C (who are basically just a Rock/Metal band with some extended structures, a slightly unusual singer and a penchant for crappy  album concepts). There's more interesting stuff going on in a five-minute BC single like Only One Word Comes to Mind than in thirty minutes of Coheed.

I think it's high time to start considering a Post-Prog category for Biffy Clyro, Muse, Mansun, Oceansize, The Termites and not least the mighty and unstoppable force that is Pure Reason Revolution. All these bands are more progressive in the real sense of the word than another Roine Stolt 70's retread (much as I can enjoy some of that as long as he keeps his mouth shut), and it would make sense to consolidate and tap that on the site here.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 15:52
Noted.
Hatters View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 15:35
I believe they would fit into Prog-Related nicely. They are a little too poppy form full-blown Prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply