Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFred Frith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fred Frith
    Posted: May 17 2006 at 10:16

'Gravity' by Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Art Bears) was released originally on LP in 1980 and is in my knowledge the first FF solo record. The concept of the record deals with 'dance music' in a wider sens. The first side of the LP is inspired by Bela Bartok and in particuler hongarian and rumanian dance songs with their breathtaking rhythmic complexity.. FF uses this influence to create some rhythmicallyl very complex structures (often with handclapping as a basis) and adds some fine melodic and harmonic material ( alot of overdubbs) on top of it often with the violin, as well as some field recordings.The second side deals too with dance music, but is less centred, there are Zappa inspired tracks, a cover of 'Dancing In The Street' by Martha and The Vandellas, an Irish Jig and then some. An absolute brillant record and you can listen to it or dance to it as well...

Edited by Alucard - May 17 2006 at 10:57
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 13:57
I'm a huge Frith fan, but I still have not got a chance to hear this, his most famous album. I think "Guitar Solos" was his first solo release on Caroline in the mid-70's, although I'm not quite sure what the actual release date is. Thanks to ReR for reissuing all of these amazing titles. For more info go here:

http://www.rerusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RERUSA

Edit: I just checked, it was released in 1974.

Edited by Zac M - May 17 2006 at 13:59
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 14:44
I'm a big Frith fan, though I never thought he was the best composer in Henry Cow (or even the second or third best). Gravity is pretty sweet. One of his more recent works that I really like that no one ever seems to mention is Pacifica - a really beautiful, near-minimalistic contemporary classical sort of composition. Really evocative and unique in Frith's discography.

http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=ff-pac
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 15:18
I fully agree with Alucard here. This is one brilliant record, and a must for everyone who is into RIO/avant stuff.

About an year ago I found this cd without cover-sleeve in my friend's box for "unlistenable music", and liked it very much from the first listen. I then started a topic  asking if anyone knows about Fred Frith solo work so that probably someone could provide some info about this record - such as track-list and line-up. But, unfortunately my thread about Fred Frith was moved into NON-Prog section on the basis that the artist was not in PA by that time. Oh well, things might have changed since then.... 

Highly recommended!!!
carefulwiththataxe
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 17:56
I've recently added Skeleton Crew (a Fred Frith 80s project) to the archive, and I'm intending to do the same with Massacre.

Fred Frith solo is a bit problematic - his discography is massive and a lot of it isn't rock music even in the loosest sense - but as Joren did with John Zorn it may be best to add a selected discography. Gravity, Speechless, Cheap at  Half the Price plus maybe Guitar Solos and the Cutler/Frith live albums could all be included - if anybody fancies having a crack at biography?
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 18:49
I quite liked Guitar Solos without being bowled away with it, but if the mention of Bartok means I'm going to seek this one out. Thanks for the information!
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 18:55
I've always known Fred Frith as having more of a role as a guitarist in bands like Art Bears and Henry Cow (least, I think that's what his functioning role was) so it was odd finally seeing who he was in one of John Zorn's ensembles playing bass no less.  Disconcerted me to say the least; performing as Naked City I want to say. 

Does anyone have these DVD boots?  They're pretty good and outre I have to say, humorous as well.

Either way, I have a couple of Frith's albums (including this one I think) but haven't looked into them too fully yet.  Like his work though.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 05:26
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I've recently added Skeleton Crew (a Fred Frith 80s project) to the archive, and I'm intending to do the same with Massacre.

Fred Frith solo is a bit problematic - his discography is massive and a lot of it isn't rock music even in the loosest sense - but as Joren did with John Zorn it may be best to add a selected discography. Gravity, Speechless, Cheap at  Half the Price plus maybe Guitar Solos and the Cutler/Frith live albums could all be included - if anybody fancies having a crack at biography?

Good idea Chris,
I just started to get some FF releases on 'Zadik' and will start to collect some Bio material, maybe we can make it a joint effort.Wink

PS: on the official FF website is a link to a detailled FF discography with a zillion entrys, work ahead.

Edited by Alucard - May 18 2006 at 05:29
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Post Reply Post Reply