Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson: London Astoria 20th July

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keith Emerson: London Astoria 20th July
    Posted: May 18 2006 at 08:17
KE's Band in London on 20th July at Astoria.

"I'll be there, i'll be there, I will be there"

*edit* got my ticket and ticket to see Greg Lake in peterborough (rock 'n roll capital of the WorldLOL). Just waiting for Mr Palmer now.

When my life calms down a bit i'll return to this forum to annoy you all Big smile

Edited by NutterAlert - May 18 2006 at 11:11
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 11:16
Thanks, I will try to be there!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 13:44
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Thanks, I will try to be there!

So will I... For a fortunate coincidence, I'll very probably be in London on that date, and I will try to be there as well. I've never seen Emerson live, and I think it is high time I did!Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 14:49
Perhaps another Prog Archives Meeting ..Wink ..?
Anyway, I have contacted some friends and we have serious plans to visit London for a few days and attend the Keith Emerson concert.
In the early Nineties I could see ELP in my hometown The Hague but I refused to join my friends because I didn't want to listen to all the Black Moon stuff. How stubborn because ELP played for 80 % early material ... and a few years ago the Amsterdam gig was sold out, I was not really a lucky man ..Unhappy ..
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 05:22
I hope his sound equipment is better than the equipment he was using on his 2003 THE NICE tour.

I and several other people left the concert at the interval because the sound quality was terrible. I saw one guy from the audience arguing with the sound technician during the interval.

Those of us who left talked to the promoter outside, who took names and addresses and faithfully promised to refund our ticket money. Never received it, though! It was as if they had not even done a sound check before the concert.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 05:33

My neighbour witnessed the Brain Salad Surgery Tour (lucky manBig smile), after the concert he and his friends had severe headaches for several days because it was so terribly loud so to me it seems that few things changed concerning the sound quality in all those years ...Confused ..

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 06:08

erik:

It was loud, but I've heard louder. The problem was that it was badly distorted. In fact, at one point Emerson stopped playing and said "can we lose that hum?", referring to 50 Hz mains pickup on a cable. My theory is that the loudness was a cause too, though, in as much as they had everything turned up into the non-linear range of the amps and they were distorting.

Maybe I and the other people who baled out at the interval should have stayed to see what happened in the 2nd half, when I think the sound guy did turn the volume down.

During the interval the guy berating the sound technician was told by him that "Emerson wants it this loud", but whether that is true I don't know. Perhaps it was just passing the buck.

Anyway, for me, and my brother who was with me at the concert, it was a big disappointment. Rather put me off going to see Emerson again, actually. I may have felt differently if they'd had the courtesy to refund the tickets.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 16:27
I went to see Keith Emerson and The Nice at the Hammersmith gig on the 2003 tour.
The sound was not great but the show was still enjoyable.

btw I'll be at The Astoria.Would be nice to meet some more progarchivers!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 09:44
It would be very nice indeed to meet some of you... I don't have any problems in going to gigs alone, but for a change it would be great to see the great KE in the company of some interesting proggers! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply