Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel... packa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel... packa
    Posted: May 20 2006 at 16:41
Okay, here's my story - I bought a copy of "Paradox Hotel" from one of the sellers on Amazon.com and what I got was a pre-release copy in a jewel case, and instead of liner notes/booklet, it had a piece of paper folded in half, with the art on one side (the front of the case) and a set of April tour dates (inside the case, opposite the CDs). I was quite upset at this, as it wasn't advertised as being such an advanced copy.

So, yesterday, I went to my local FYE and to my surprise, they had The Flower Kings there! Three copies of "Paradox Hotel" but, two were jewel cases with cardboard slip-covers, while the third was a book-style digipack.

My question is - which is the better package to get? I like the digipack style a lot, and if I had the $20 to get it yesterday, I would have (they were both the same price). Is there any difference between the two or is it just the packaging? Thanks!

-Marc.
I know what I like and I like what I know. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will. If I die tomorrow, I`d be alright because I believe that after we`re gone, the spirit carries on.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 20:30
Marc,

I got the digipak and like it a lot. Artwork is pretty funny, too. Love cariactures and they picked a talented artist. Not sure how proggy it is, but the music inside makes up for it.

Love to see those old psychedelic covers make a come back. Adam And Eve, on the other hand, was just plain weird. Good tune, though.

E
HeirToRuin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 00:04
I'm sure the songs are the same.
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 02:07
Its whats on the CD's that counts , besides I don`t like the cover  I think its awful , their worst yet ! Smile
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:39
get the digipack!
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:49
I'm afraid I don't agree with Masque. The covers of, for example, FLOWER POWER and STARDUST WE ARE, are totally tasteless. What were the band thinking of? I love them for resurrecting symphonic prog, but there's no point in sleeve designs so kitschy that I wouldn't even have put them on my wall in 1975! (Same problem with the Tangent, whose sleeves remind me of Santana at their tackiest.) So all in all, a humorous sleeve design (as with PARADOX HOTEL) is far preferable.

Edited by fuxi - May 21 2006 at 11:49
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:49
typically the digipack version is a special edition with bonus tracks (or bonus DVD). A simple look at the back of the digipack should do to find out.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 12:04
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

So all in all, a humorous sleeve design (as with PARADOX HOTEL) is far preferable.

An actual sleeve design would be nice. Get a real designer in there, not your color-blind pal going mad with Photoshop filters, or as now: some other friend doing a silly caricature.

I realise they probably can't afford to pay a pro, but nonetheless... It's another one of those weirdly sloppy aspects to TFK, just like no one going over the English before recording. It's as if they don't really care all that much about anything but the instrumental bits.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 13:43
Talking of The Flower Kings, I actually saw one of their CDs in my local Virgin yesterday (that's the first time I've ever seen one of their CDs in a shop). The only problem was it was filed under A with "Adam And Eve" as the name of the band!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by HeirToRuin HeirToRuin wrote:

I'm sure the songs are the same.
LOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Post Reply Post Reply