2 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by Marc Baum Marc Baum wrote:

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Definitely "From The Gutter To The Stage". This is wondeful 2 disks set compilation representing truly best of Savatage. For me it's their only album worth keeping in my collection.

I also have it in my collection and I must tell you, you're truely missing out. Their most well-known songs are on there, but true gems are missing.

I expect that two of us are quite different in our tastes and preferences, however I would be interested to know what exactly, in your opinion, I am missing out. I had almost all their albums, and my statement above is based on my knowledge of this band's musical output.

I still have "Streets" and "The wake of Magellan" (15.49 pounds each at Tower Records of London) because nobody wants to buy it from me.

carefulwiththataxe
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 18:28
Poets & Madmen for me.
Marc Baum View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 19:33

Definitely "From The Gutter To The Stage". This is wondeful 2 disks set compilation representing truly best of Savatage. For me it's their only album worth keeping in my collection.

I also have it in my collection and I must tell you, you're truely missing out. Their most well-known songs are on there, but true gems are missing.

I expect that two of us are quite different in our tastes and preferences, however I would be interested to know what exactly, in your opinion, I am missing out. I had almost all their albums, and my statement above is based on my knowledge of this band's musical output.

I still have "Streets" and "The wake of Magellan" (15.49 pounds each at Tower Records of London) because nobody wants to buy it from me.

Listen with open ears, open mind and open heart and you will find it out. And believe me, you will lose some of the greatest music if you sell it. It's just a tragic failure to don't care for their full albums. You will miss classic songs like Scream Murder, Living for the Night, The Dungeons Are Calling, City Beneath the Surface, Warriors, Hard For Love, Strange Wings, Beyond the Doors of the Dark, Legions, Hounds, Streets, Jesus Saves (Streets version), Tonight He Grins Again, St. Patrick's, Can You Hear Me Now, If I Go Away, Somewhere In Time, He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, Conversation Piece, Damien, Handful of Rain, Castles Burning, Watching You Fall, Alone You Breathe, This is the Time, Not what you See, list 20 miles continuable................
WHY do you do this to yourself my friend?! UnhappyCry
"All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste." - GENTLE GIANT
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 06:40

Listen with open ears, open mind and open heart and you will find it out. And believe me, you will lose some of the greatest music if you sell it. It's just a tragic failure to don't care for their full albums. You will miss classic songs like Scream Murder, Living for the Night, The Dungeons Are Calling, City Beneath the Surface, Warriors, Hard For Love, Strange Wings, Beyond the Doors of the Dark, Legions, Hounds, Streets, Jesus Saves (Streets version), Tonight He Grins Again, St. Patrick's, Can You Hear Me Now, If I Go Away, Somewhere In Time, He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, Conversation Piece, Damien, Handful of Rain, Castles Burning, Watching You Fall, Alone You Breathe, This is the Time, Not what you See, list 20 miles continuable................

Well,  I never reject any suggestion unless they are downright stupid (which is obviously not the case here). After having read your last message I re-listened with ears wide open to the two studio albums remaining in my collection (mainly due to the lack of buyers). This music failed again to get my heart open, hence I openmindedly came to the conclusion that I'll be lucky to find a buyer who would take these albums from me for 20 quid both. (Or I would happily exchange them for two Maneige albums including "Les Porches" - but I guess I can only dream about it Cry )

carefulwiththataxe
Marc Baum View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 19:41

Well,  I never reject any suggestion unless they are downright stupid (which is obviously not the case here). After having read your last message I re-listened with ears wide open to the two studio albums remaining in my collection (mainly due to the lack of buyers). This music failed again to get my heart open, hence I openmindedly came to the conclusion that I'll be lucky to find a buyer who would take these albums from me for 20 quid both. (Or I would happily exchange them for two Maneige albums including "Les Porches" - but I guess I can only dream about it Cry )

I only can give you one more suggestion: Listen more (to Streets first). Don't give up that fast and don't miss to approach the magic. At least 5 - 7 times (with booklet in hand), if it doesn't hit you then, sell it - not your taste. Another one may have the lucky chance to listen to this amazing music and will possibly love it (if any one knows about them and want to buy).
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 05:04
^^^Oh, I understand, Marc. You probably think that I should allow more time to learn and appreciate this music, read lyrics etc etc. I bought those albums about seven or eight years ago when I liked Savatage very much. I know lyrics very well, and concept of "Magellan" reminds me about infamous mv McRubi story, which I know in details. I think I've grown apart of this music since some time ago, and retrospectively must admit that only compilation of their greatest songs is worth keeping in my collection.

carefulwiththataxe
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 05:08
The Hall Of The Mountain King
The Wake Of Magellan
Edge Of Thorns
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 08:18
Poet's And Madmen.

Morphine Child is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

That said... all their albums rule.
Marc Baum View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 16:35

^^^Oh, I understand, Marc. You probably think that I should allow more time to learn and appreciate this music, read lyrics etc etc. I bought those albums about seven or eight years ago when I liked Savatage very much. I know lyrics very well, and concept of "Magellan" reminds me about infamous mv McRubi story, which I know in details. I think I've grown apart of this music since some time ago, and retrospectively must admit that only compilation of their greatest songs is worth keeping in my collection.

That's a different story then. I also bougth the albums eight-nine years ago and they still keep on holding my attention from time to time. I will probably never grow apart with their music - maybe because I am a die-hard Savatage fan? ConfusedEmbarrassed
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 17:30

That's a different story then. I also bougth the albums eight-nine years ago and they still keep on holding my attention from time to time. I will probably never grow apart with their music - maybe because I am a die-hard Savatage fan? ConfusedEmbarrassed

OK, Marc, there nothing to be embarassed about. It's quite good actually to remain loyal and devoted to some band (any band actually). Sometimes I wish I could be like this, but the thing is - I can fall out of love with certain things rather quickly. Well, it's life, and nothing we can or should do about it.

Enjoy your Savatage things and do not forget other greats in Music!

carefulwiththataxe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12