Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Muse album hype thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Muse album hype thread!
    Posted: May 21 2006 at 19:13

I apologize if a thread has been done on this topic before....I conducted a search, and I don't believe I saw any similiar topics. If I am mistaken, delete this thread.

Anyways:

New MUSE ALBUM JULY 3RD!

I absolutely adore each of the new songs I've heard, and all of the reviews of the album have been highly positive. So:

Who's excited!?
Myxamatosis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 14:23
I cannot wait for this new album. I love all of the new songs, especially Knights of Cydonia. Supermassive Black Hole is an odd one, though..

Judging by the reviews of the album so far, it's going to have a lot more variation than all of the earlier albums.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 14:53
w00t!!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm going to see them at Reading Festival, so I'm definitely buying the new album.

/edit: linkage to more live Muse stuff than you can throw a guitar at, including some of the new stuff. The acoustic material near the bottom of the page is highly recommended.

Edited by Certif1ed - May 22 2006 at 16:49
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 15:50
Muse, eh?

New album?

AWESOMESmile

I hope I'll find it in a store or something in Puerto Rico

Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 21:06
OMG!! Can't wait, dude! I suspect they can't top Absoloution though... but you never know with the genious Matt Bellamy at the helm. Maybe this album will be even proggier than the previous. Cool

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 15:54
I don't think that it is going to be proggier than Absolution, judging by what I've heard so far...Supermassive Black Hole is far from prog, although it's not like Time Is Running Out was a prog song either. I dunno if they'll be able to peak Absolution - they couldn't peak Origin of Symmetry!

Knights of Cydonia is a 6 minute prog epic, though!
gok22us View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 18:13
The reviews for the album are all very positive. Knights of Cydonia IS incredible, and many of the other songs will be. I'm sure it'll top Absolution, and OOS.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 17:13
Originally posted by Kleynan Kleynan wrote:

OMG!! Can't wait, dude! I suspect they can't top Absoloution though... but you never know with the genious Matt Bellamy at the helm. Maybe this album will be even proggier than the previous. Cool

Is it possible to top that album?...if they do it..thats it, Muse are the band!!! LOLLOLLOL
uhhhh me so excited...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 20:14

I listened to Super Massive Black Hole... please tell me this album is better than that one song.

EDIT:

Just heard Knights of Cydonia. That was awesome. A live version. Diminshed 6ths. hah.

Edited by Meddler - May 31 2006 at 20:40
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 23:07
I'm PUMPED!!!

YEA!!
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:12
"Supermassive Black Hole" is wierd.

I HATED it the first time I heard it - I thought it sounded like Prince until the vocal harmonies in the chorus kicked in.

Now I find it almost unbearably infectious - I don't like it as much as "Knights...", but it is really different to what they did before or what anyone else is currently doing - you gotta give Muse credit for that.
gok22us View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:17
That's why they're great :)

I was worried that they might put out a worse version of Absolution OOS or Showbiz. I'm glad they have avoided that, and done something new with their sound.

And of the four songs we have heard off the album, I love them all.  Knights of Cydonia is prog in my ears, though the other three are still pop with prog elements. Prog or not, I love everything I'm hearing, and I think the new album will blow me away for sure.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:27
You've heard 4 songs?

I've only heard "SMBH", "Knights..." and "Starlight" live (on the Radio 1 broadcast of 13th May), and the promo studio mix of "SMBH" that I got from Muse's site when they offered it for free download - what's the other song that's been "leaked"?

(I've also seen a video for SMBH, in which Matt looks like Jarvis Cocker in a "Sergeant Pepper" jacket...).

BTW, anyone looking in that hasn't heard "SMBH" can hear it at Muse's MySpace, or by clicking on my flashing logo below, and then clicking on the image of Matt/Muse that appears in my "Friends" list.

I'll dig out the URL of the video - it's on YouTube.

Edited by Certif1ed - June 03 2006 at 17:40
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:08
Another new song from the album leaked yesterday after they played it on some MTV show in Italy. It's called Map of the Problematique..quite electronic with some nice vocal harmonies in the choruses. They also seem to have a fourth member for live performances now. Let's just hope that Matt still plays the keyboard parts in B&H, New Born, etc when they play live. This guy only seems to be around for parts of the new album where guitar and keyboards are playing at the same time, because Matt obviously can't do both at once!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 17:46
Got it from a Muse fansite - first impressions (which are invariably wrong when it comes to Muse) are that it sounds like the Bravery (Honest Mistake)

I also found a complete review of the new album from someone who'd heard a sneak preview. Lucky person.

Sadly this forum timed out when I created my original post, and I've closed the page down.

Linkage may follow...
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 10:16
Just read a review on the album...

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/1681.html
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 14:27
A few months ago, Matt posted this (amusing) message about the new album on the Muse website. Very interesting..I'm guessing he is taking magic mushrooms again if he's posting stuff like this! (that Kraftwerk typo is how he posted it..shame on him). If this description is anything to go by, then the new album will be incredible!

"Hello,

We have just finished our first recording session for the new album... We lost it in Chateaux Miraval hanging around the ghosts of the Knights Templar (apparantly Jesus' ex-girlfriend was hanging around these parts once). too much talk about the pending oil crisis caused us to stock up on fire wood and ponder the aftermath - a clean water supply will be essential. Miraval offered this and more which only fanned the flames of paranoia . We have recorded a fair bit but still have a long way to go. The drunken military marching band will definitely make it, the 33 randomised guitar overdubs on the church of sub genius and the cycling endlessly key-changing inferno have high chance of making it, but the freecycle.org flange bass does not have a promising future! We also think we may have approached a world record for the most anal guitar sound involving an arp synth, some antique Doctor Who synth, a handful of wammys, a museum worthy vox, and something Kraftwork invented. Dom's little redrum has caused a scene, hopefully it's on the mend, too much mouse clicking during frantic ebay sessions bidding for the good old days has taken it's toll. Anyway, we all feel this is gonna be something special. We're off now to the big lights to cash in on the last few breaths of a crumbling empire and will probably play scenes from sex in the city backwards through a big muff.

Kind Regards, Matt"
gok22us View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 00:19
The album leaked. It is phenomenal. That's all.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:18
I haven't found that leak yet...

Damn!

Thought I had some pretty cool news, because I got this bulletin from Muse via MySpace:

========================================================

Date: Jun 6, 2006 10:55 PM
Subject: "Knights of Cydonia" Single Premiere!
Body: Anyday now the U.S. single will be posted on Myspace.

That's right, stay tuned because we will be premiering the new single, "Knight of Cydonia", on MySpace. Possibly today, possibly tomorrow.

Keep checking back...

=======================================================

There's a cool write-up of the album on their page too - which I've pasted below in case you can't be bothered to go look yourself:

=======================================================

If Muse sound like a new band on Black Holes and Revelations its because, after Glastonbury, they are: expanded of mind, settled of spirit and anything but sedentary of sound. Still, some of this might come as a shock: after opener Take A Bow takes over where Absolution left off all doomy celestial synths and Matts preacherish wails of You will burn in hell for your sins! we suddenly rocket off into unexplored quadrants. Starlight is an Abba gig on the moon, Map of the Problematique is Depeche Mode impersonating Queen for a Bond theme and, most surprising of all, Supermassive Black Hole is a dance floor electro-metal stomper, resembling Beck giving Marilyn Manson a helium blowback in Studio 54. Which is not to mention the triptych of Italian folk-influenced meta-country that closes the record in a flurry of flamenco frenetics and mariachi horns. Absolution 2: Back To The Planets, this most certainly is not.

For continuity, in fact, we must look to the lyrical themes, where fans of the apocalyptic soundbite, the madcap conspiracy theory, the revolutionary rabble-rousing, the weird stuff about aliens inventing all earthly religions and other such classic Muse concerns will not be disappointed. The idea that identity cards are the first sign of the onset of the end of the world? Thatll be Take A Bow, Matt: Theres definitely a connection to Revelations with that. It talks about a time when people will not be able to purchase anything without a number or exist without a number. Instead of going for a job interview theyll just swipe you. Theyll get your medical history, your financial history, the lot.. The theory that the Earth is actually an expanding sphere, being sucked towards the gigantic black hole at the centre of the universe (as emotional metaphor)? Supermassive Black Hole, mate.

I think were approaching that time, Matt nods. If you look at those protests in France, the size and level of protest doesnt really relate to what theyre protesting about. I think theres something underneath that people are feeling, particularly the younger generation. We feel like weve been born into some pre-created situation where we dont actually have any control over anything. Weve got an aging population as well and that control factor grates a little bit. I feel, through this album, that Im feeling pessimistic and frustrated about it all but at the same time Im not against revolutionary moves and I wouldnt be ashamed to have incited a small riot, if its for a good cause.

The time has come. The New Muse Order is on the rise.

Track listing: TAKE A BOW / STARLIGHT / SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE / MAP OF THE PROBLEMATIQUE / SOLDIERS POEM / INVINCIBLE / ASSASSIN / EXO-POLITICS / CITY OF DELUSION / HOODOO / KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA     

Edited by Certif1ed - June 08 2006 at 05:21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 06:17
Originally posted by gok22us gok22us wrote:

The album leaked. It is phenomenal. That's all.

Absolutely! It is fantastic. I cannot wait until it is released, so that we can actually hear it at higher quality (and in stereo!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>