Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 13:41
The Art Rock team members (or rather, one half of the team... yours truly) would be interested in hearing something from this band. However, please remember that Art Rock is 100% Prog, and not a section for 'semi-prog' acts. 
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 22:33
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

^Art Rock, not Prog Related. Having Pure Reason Revolution in Art Rock and Mew in Prog Related wouldn't make sense.
Exactly, I totally agree. They would fit well in art rock, but i won't complain if they're only prog related
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 10:00
Art Rock Team: You can check out their official site, there are some songs avaliable for streaming. It would be even better if you got hold of the album And the Glass Handed Kites, and gave it a thorough listen or two, to get the complete picture, so to speak.

Edited by Philéas - December 18 2006 at 10:01
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 10:05
Thanks a lot, Philéas!Thumbs Up Unfortunately, this will have to wait for some time, as I will be away for the holidays. However, I promise I'll do that ASAP when I get back.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 10:56
I'm looking forward to hear what you think of them. Prog Related would be sufficient if they don't meet the Art Rock criteria in your opinion, but I hope that you recognize their Prog qualities.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 11:01
I have those albums:
A Triumph for Man
Half the World Is Watching Me
Frengers
And the Glass Handed Kites

And solely based on Glass, I would be inclined to add them to Art-Rock.
However the other albums, they do not make to me a strong case for addition. Good and nice rock, but not more. This is why I don't like the tagging of a band and not albums... we lose so much precision this way.

EDIT - (even though I shouldn't) I am now listening to their albums over again. And my conclusion would be Prog-Related.
Sorry Phileas, I see what you mean, but the overall impression I get fomr this is more of a rock outfit with other than usual characteristics, but in general the overall sound reminds me of other rock bands. They do bear some more sophisticated/complex parts in their songs, but it is not the dominant trait of their music. I think they fit prog-related due to this. (which is for the admins to decide).

Just my thoughts, not meaning to offend the fans (I love the music as well, otherwise I wouldn't bother with their albums).

Edited by avestin - December 18 2006 at 11:24
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 11:02
Woof!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:09
OK, we can go about it in two ways.. Either you wait for me (or rather us..) to come back from the holidays and judge the band for ourselves, or one of you asks the Admin team to be allowed to add them to Prog-Related. However, as concerns the latter move, I don't know whether it is sensible to continue adding bands that may stir up further controversy. I leave the decision up to you.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

EDIT - (even though I shouldn't) I am now listening to their albums over again. And my conclusion would be Prog-Related.
Sorry Phileas, I see what you mean, but the overall impression I get fomr this is more of a rock outfit with other than usual characteristics, but in general the overall sound reminds me of other rock bands. They do bear some more sophisticated/complex parts in their songs, but it is not the dominant trait of their music. I think they fit prog-related due to this. (which is for the admins to decide).

No need to be sorry, Prog Related would fit them better. I took time to examine their music more closely, and as a result I agree with you. Smile

So anyway, they really ought to be included as Prog Related.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:54
I think their music is far more complex than just prog related.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 06:41
^Yes, on AtGHK, but they have three more albums which are not as complex. We do have to take future releases into account though, they might go completely Prog.

Prog Related is perfect at the moment, no more and no less.
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 19:01
yes, not to artrock - i don't want it to be spoiled with semi-prog.

Yes, to prog related. Although, the name prog related reminds me of like it... well, maybe Proggish or Rather progressive or something else would be good name to that "genre".. (i don't know how strong word "rather" is, but something like that..)

yes, prog related tells me that those bands have for example mellotrons etc.
But it's very big genre , there's metal, post-rock, gay rock...

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 15:33
OK, I listened to "And the Glass-Handed Kites", and unfortunately for you Mew fans I was not impressed at all. I found the album extremely heavy going and only very slightly related with prog. Consequently, Art Rock is out of the question - Prog-Related maybe, but I'd hesitate to put them there either. There have been too many controversial additions so far, and I'd rather concentrate on adding real prog bands - there are many that are still out of our database.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 20:02
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

OK, I listened to "And the Glass-Handed Kites", and unfortunately for you Mew fans I was not impressed at all. I found the album extremely heavy going and only very slightly related with prog. Consequently, Art Rock is out of the question - Prog-Related maybe, but I'd hesitate to put them there either. There have been too many controversial additions so far, and I'd rather concentrate on adding real prog bands - there are many that are still out of our database.

You ought to listen to it a few more times. As many good albums, it takes more than a couple of listens to manifest it's greatness. You'll notice many more subtleties if you try a few more lsitens. There are a lot of polyrhythms, great atmospheres and harmonies, and the whole thing is continuous as if it were one piece, though it really is not.
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 07:39
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

You ought to listen to it a few more times. As many good albums, it takes more than a couple of listens to manifest it's greatness. You'll notice many more subtleties if you try a few more lsitens. There are a lot of polyrhythms, great atmospheres and harmonies, and the whole thing is continuous as if it were one piece, though it really is not.

Yes there is, but not so much, or so comprehensively. It isn't progressive, but has some progressiviness. So to Prog-Related, maybe.

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 00:41
Just answered a mail from the Band Submission Team after listening carefully their "masterpiece" "Mew and the Glass Handed Kites.

I'm not inpressed at all, I can't find a Prog connection, not even to Prog Related, they don't even sound original, several alternative bands have done a lot of the same before with less POP elements.

IMHO they are less Prog Related than Coldplay who are not Prog Related. I agree with Raffaella, not by dream Art Rock, but I would be more radical, neither in Prog Related without any doubt

Sorry but I have to say what I believe, not trying to be rude, but I'm used to say the things I believe clearly, I'm too old to change. Cry

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 01 2007 at 00:56

enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 01:11
Having only heard And the Glass Handed Kites, I see parallels between Mew and Radiohead, Muse, Dredg, Pure Reason Revolution, and others.

I definitely understand the gut reaction upon hearing the album of saying "They're not prog, or even prog-related!"

However, if you give it a chance, I think the similarities to the bands I mentioned become apparent. Also, there's sometimes an interesting use of rhythm variation within songs.

I think an inclusion in prog-related is justified. If not now, then certainly if their next album sounds similar (or more "proggy") than ATGHK, there's a strong argument to bring them on board.

Edited by enteredwinter - February 01 2007 at 01:17
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 02:02
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

Having only heard And the Glass Handed Kites, I see parallels between Mew and Radiohead, Muse, Dredg, Pure Reason Revolution, and others.

I definitely understand the gut reaction upon hearing the album of saying "They're not prog, or even prog-related!"

However, if you give it a chance, I think the similarities to the bands I mentioned become apparent. Also, there's sometimes an interesting use of rhythm variation within songs.

I think an inclusion in prog-related is justified. If not now, then certainly if their next album sounds similar (or more "proggy") than ATGHK, there's a strong argument to bring them on board.

No enteredwinte it's not a gut reaction, I have nothing against them, it''s a cold, thought and analyzed opinion after almost a month of receiving a mail consulting about them from the Prog Submission Team.

IMO they are not Prog or even Prog Related, they are a Pop/Alternative/Indie band, maybe good, maybe not so good, that's not the issue....The point is that we are in Prog Archives,. not in Alterative Archives, this is a place for Prog bands (Great, good, average and bad), not for Alternative bands no matter how great they may be.

There's a Radiohead influence in MEW, but being honest, most Alternative/Indie bands sound similar in higher or lesser degree to Radiohead because Radiohead has an alternative component apart from their Prog sound so there's the connection.

Pure Reason Revolution is a different thing, they have a Space Rock connection that MEW doesn't remotely has. About Muse.....Being inspired in a Prog Related band, hardly justifies an inclusion.

Radiohead, Pure Reason Revolution and even Muse are here to stay  but I believe it's a mistake to accept a band because it's similar to other bands, specially when one of them caused controversy when added and another is in Prog Related.

Each band must be qualified exclusively for what they are and MEW is Alternative/Indie/POP band, nothing less, nothing more.

The mail I received includes a well informed bio that states:

Quote MEW play a very original mixture indie, dreampop and progressive rock - a dreamprog band! They started off with inspiration from boundry searching guitar bands such as MY BlOODY VALENTINE, DINOSAUR JUNIOR and even got a strong streak for pop from artists such as PET SHOP BOYS and PRINCE. But they also had some inspiration from old school progressive rock such as YES, GENESIS and even GENTLE GIANT and KING CRIMSON (???)- just to mention the most
famous.

Red interrogation signs added by me. 

I can't find a single reference to Yes, Genesis or Gentle Giant, much less from King Crimson, but the POP sound is more than clear and the alternative/Indie is more than evident.

I believe the reference to the 70's Prog bands is an argument for their inclusion but honestly, I could search for years and this can't be found, neither elements from 80's, 90's or 00's Prog at all.

Now, you're right when  you say there's a chance in their next album, but they will have to do something at least remotely close to Prog Related to be even considered in my humble opinion.

Iván

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 13:36
They are definitely more Prog than Muse in my opinion, so take Muse out if Mew are being left out.

Muse may have some virtuoso-ish piano interludes here and there, but other than that their music is pretty straight forward, not very Prog at all in my opinion (still I love them to bits, but that's another issue). How many times have you actually listened to And the Glass Handed Kites, and how carefully?

This thread is a good example of why Prog Related is such a silly category. We can never agree on what it takes to get included in it.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 13:41
We can never agree because this is art, not a hard science. Everyone seems to have their own perception of what is prog and what isn't - and this will never, ever change because the 'prog quotient' of a band or artist cannot be quantified.

As to the silliness of Prog-Related... It may very well be, but we have tried (in vain, or so it seems) to drive home the point that it exists for a very good reason - the owners want it. Therefore, I suggest all the people who disagree with its existence write a letter to the owners in order to ask them to abolish PR. None of us can do anything about it but try to avoid preposterous additions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>