Topic ClosedFree album from Janus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free album from Janus
    Posted: May 22 2006 at 15:54
Hi,
Some of you may remember/know Janus from the EMI Harvest label and in particualr the "Gravedigger" album, which is still commercially available 34 years after its first release; after some successful years, I've decided to give away the final Janus album (new/unreleased by any company) as a download. It's available from http://www.glossopdale.com and the history of the band is on  http://www.janus-music.com
There's no catch - if anybody gets the album, and wants to give something in return, there's a link on the site to a childrens hospice, and if possible, please pass the link on, so that a little money does go their way.
Colin Orr
JANUS

Edited by Tony R - May 25 2006 at 06:47
colin orr
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 16:01
Thanks Colin, thats really great. I'll be honest though, I don't remeber Janus, but I'll soon see what i missed!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 06:34
Cheers Colin, some good music there!Clap
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 06:43
A wonderful gesture Colin.Thumbs Up

I've taken the liberty of amending your post to create hyperlinks so there's no excuse for people not to visit the site!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 07:55
Originally posted by colinho colinho wrote:

Hi,
Some of you may remember/know Janus from the EMI Harvest label and in particualr the "Gravedigger" album, which is still commercially available 34 years after its first release; after some successful years, I've decided to give away the final Janus album (new/unreleased by any company) as a download. It's available from http://www.glossopdale.com and the history of the band is on  http://www.janus-music.com
There's no catch - if anybody gets the album, and wants to give something in return, there's a link on the site to a childrens hospice, and if possible, please pass the link on, so that a little money does go their way.
Colin Orr
JANUS

how cool.. and coincidental hahahha... Colin, your  group was one of the groups that I am  responsible for researching this week,  for inclusion here at PA's in the symphonic area.  Enjoyed the web-site and it was VERY informative.  I'd be happy to download the album, and contribute as well.  I have 3 children and your cause is obviously a worthy cause.  On a lighter note.... enjoyed the sample from Gravedigger... thinking about ordering it. Clap  Did any of those tracks you rehearsed for your second EMI Harvest album ever see the light of day.. if it was mentioned on your site.. I missed it.

Edited by micky - May 25 2006 at 07:57
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
colinho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:51
Hi Micky,
Thanks for the post - the tracks for the planned second EMI/Harvest album were never recorded, which was a shame, as I think they were far better than the "Gravedigger" material. Obviously my writing style changed quite a lot between the EMI days in 1972/3 and the "revival" in 1991, but I do think that some of the 90's material was the most progressive. The new album is closer in spirit to "Gravedigger"though, and I'm hoping to add a few bonus tracks over the next couple of months to the free download.
It's been quite a surprise how many people are hitting the site (6000 so far), and I really hope that Francis House hospice gets a few pennies out of this.
Thanks again
Colin Orr
JANUS
colin orr
colinho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:53
Thanks so much, it's great to get support - maybe if enough of us make a small difference, it will make a big difference!!
Colin Orr
JANUS
colin orr
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:49

Hi Micky,
Thanks for the post - the tracks for the planned second EMI/Harvest album were never recorded, which was a shame, as I think they were far better than the "Gravedigger" material. Obviously my writing style changed quite a lot between the EMI days in 1972/3 and the "revival" in 1991, but I do think that some of the 90's material was the most progressive. The new album is closer in spirit to "Gravedigger"though, and I'm hoping to add a few bonus tracks over the next couple of months to the free download.
It's been quite a surprise how many people are hitting the site (6000 so far), and I really hope that Francis House hospice gets a few pennies out of this.
Thanks again
Colin Orr
JANUS

keep us informed.. and thanks for sharing the album with us.  Would love, around any free time you have hahahha, to hear your opinions on some of the weighty matters we throw around here. Wink Many of the posters we have here are rather  sharp and are a pleasure to talk with... don't be a stranger.  Smile

Any background info on the Francis House hospice you'd like to share with us?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
colinho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 14:46
Hi Micky,
Thanks again - strangely enough, I'm a full time A Level music technology teacher at a 6th form college these days. "The S Album" would never have seen the light of day, but for my 16 year old daughter, Thea, who nagged me to do something with it - my pleasure has always been in the creation of the music, not what happened afterwardSmile Same daughter is the one who is making me go out and do a live performance with the band again, and I'm trying to hide the mails that have just started coming in from New York trying to get Janus touring (I'm serious about the mails, but Thea already knows.....)
Francis House is one of those places that remind you how lucky you are. It cares for the terminally ill children from 5 health authorities, but only gets 5% of its funding from the state. It's there helping parents during and after one of the most traumatic events a human being can suffer. It brings as much happiness and love as it can to kids who don't have a tomorrow. That's good enough to make me want to give something! They do have a web presence http://www.francishouse.org.uk/ - but don't expect gloss and professionalism. Meant in the nicest possible way.
There's a good amount of hits to the album site, 6,000 and increasing, plus WITR FM Radio in New York is about to start broadcasting the tracks and the link, so I hope that Francis House gets a bit of a surprise soon. They don't know I've done this.....
Best

Colin Orr
JANUS
colin orr
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 22:11

Hi Micky,
Thanks again - strangely enough, I'm a full time A Level music technology teacher at a 6th form college these days. "The S Album" would never have seen the light of day, but for my 16 year old daughter, Thea, who nagged me to do something with it - my pleasure has always been in the creation of the music, not what happened afterwardSmile Same daughter is the one who is making me go out and do a live performance with the band again, and I'm trying to hide the mails that have just started coming in from New York trying to get Janus touring (I'm serious about the mails, but Thea already knows.....)
Francis House is one of those places that remind you how lucky you are. It cares for the terminally ill children from 5 health authorities, but only gets 5% of its funding from the state. It's there helping parents during and after one of the most traumatic events a human being can suffer. It brings as much happiness and love as it can to kids who don't have a tomorrow. That's good enough to make me want to give something! They do have a web presence http://www.francishouse.org.uk/ - but don't expect gloss and professionalism. Meant in the nicest possible way.
There's a good amount of hits to the album site, 6,000 and increasing, plus WITR FM Radio in New York is about to start broadcasting the tracks and the link, so I hope that Francis House gets a bit of a surprise soon. They don't know I've done this.....
Best

Colin Orr
JANUS

hahahha.... as my pleasure used to be Colin... while an amateur  in the strictest sense.. nothing gave me more pleasure than creating music or just playing with friends.  I often think about getting back into music. 

talked to the boss this evening... my good fortune to have been showing her a night on the town.... I will offer a contribution on behalf of the website.  Should I mention speaking to you... or not hahahah.  Don't want to get you in any trouble. Wink

warmest regards

Michael

edit... oh yeah... I really enjoyed the album.  Once we get Janus up in the Archives.. we'll get some reviews going for it.  Thanks again for dropping in on us.

Edited by micky - May 25 2006 at 22:13
colinho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 02:42
Good Morning Micky

Thanks for the kind words, and more for the kind gesture. I don't have a problem with you telling Francis House the source, as I sort of hope they are trying to work out why contributions are coming in from obscure places in the world. It might even be a good idea for them to link to the tracks themselves. I did speak to a lovely, sweet, harrassed lady, suggesting that they would be well advised to get an electronic contribution method up (not just for what I'm doing), but I got the impression that they were a bit short of people and skills in that sort of area.
Thanks again.

Colin
JANUS

JANUSostamble();
colin orr
 Post Reply Post Reply