Topic ClosedRichard Cheese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard Cheese
    Posted: May 23 2006 at 17:49

Ok people, a little break from all this complicated prog-music Wink

Well, I've started listening to this guy about a week ago, when a friend and I stumbled upon his version of Chop Suey by System of a Down.
His interpretations are absolutely hilarious in my opinion. It's all big band, and he's not trying to make it a better song or something (which Paul Anka tends to try sometimes on his new 'Rock Swings'), but just give the song a complete make-over, and make it a couple of minutes shorter while doing so.
You'll have to listen to it to completely understand my 'review', but I think this guy is pretty good at what he does.

His website: http://www.iloverichardcheese.com/ *that one made me laugh too LOL

Links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCv2cgIlnHA&search=richard%20cheese
Richard singing 'Baby got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot and 'Personal Jesus' by Depeche Mode. Not really good quality, and not the best songs from his repertoire, but it gives you an idea what I'm talking about.

Samples from his cd's:
http://www.iloverichardcheese.com/media/aud/rctx-sampler.mp3
http://www.iloverichardcheese.com/media/aud/richardcheese-idlikeavirgin-preview.mp3
http://www.surfdog.com/rc/media/richardcheese-afd-preview-mix.mp3

His discography consists of great titles like 'Cheesey Road', 'Kid A flat', 'A Rush of Dick to the Head' (Dick being his name, don't worry Wink, 'Lounge against the machine' & ofcourse, 'The Sunny Side of the Moon'.
So, not really the most sophisticated music you'll ever hear, but pretty funny to listen to every once in a while.

Focus on the music... Focus!
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 01:37
Funny, funny stuff.

On a side note, Paul Anka's Rock Swings is great too. Swing/Big Band/Crooner versions of a bunch of popular rock songs including "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 02:35
There's also Mike Flowers. He does the same treatment to some songs like Oasis "Wonderwall".

The best of this kind of music is Pat Boone's "In A Metal Mood". His cover of "Smoke On The Water" really brings out how rediculous the lyrics are.

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 03:36
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Funny, funny stuff.

On a side note, Paul Anka's Rock Swings is great too. Swing/Big Band/Crooner versions of a bunch of popular rock songs including "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

He's also pretty good, though there's no humour in his arrangements. You can't turn a complete classic upside down and inside out and be THAT serious about it, can you?

Edited by Man Made God - May 24 2006 at 03:37

Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 03:37
Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

There's also Mike Flowers. He does the same treatment to some songs like Oasis "Wonderwall".

The best of this kind of music is Pat Boone's "In A Metal Mood". His cover of "Smoke On The Water" really brings out how rediculous the lyrics are.

Hey, that sounds like fun. I'm kinda new to this kind of music, so I'll try to give this Boone guy a listen.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 17:55
Originally posted by Man Made God Man Made God wrote:

Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

Hey, that sounds like fun. I'm kinda new to this kind of music, so I'll try to give this Boone guy a listen.

Ha, it's the same way with Anka's Nirvana cover. It's hilarious. The BOone album is interesting, but I didn't enjoy In a Metal Mood nearly as much as Rock Swings.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply