Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt Bites Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Can It Bites REMOTELY be considered 'progressive'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [63.16%]
7 [36.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 07:12
They were a prog band in disguise.

I remember reading an interview with Frank Dunnery in my cousins 'Smash Hits' magazine back in 1986. I remember reading how their influences were Yes, Led Zep and Genesis. Dunnery was going on about how important the 70's were, because you had to be able to play an instrument to get anywhere. I remember thinking 'Cool they sound good'....despite looking terrible.

They were trying to re-introduce prog to the charts without anyone noticing, so chose a very pop approach. Their debut album 'Big lad in the Windmill' caught my attention, because of the musicianship. Behind the 'Go West' style pop production, there was some brilliant lead guitar work, and complex things happening in the rhythim section. Kerrang! and Sounds were also raving about them. I saw them live about 5 times, and they were fantastic every time. I've NEVER heard such good live sound. Their follow up 'Once around the World' was one of the best albums of the 80's IMO, and more prog than it's predecessor. Thats when the penny dropped for the music press and Virgin (their record company) It Bites were a prog band. When this became clear they bit the dust very quickly. 'Eat me in St Louis' was a massive dissapointment, and was recorded to appease Virgin who did not want a prog band on their hands.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12