FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis Convention London, May 06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis Convention London, May 06
    Posted: June 01 2006 at 09:29
The Genesis Convention – London Astoria (Sat 27th May 2006)

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon in London, when hundreds of Genesis fans converged on the Astoria for the 2006 Genesis convention. I had not been to an event like this before and really didn’t know what to expect (apart from a show by two tribute bands) I guess I was expecting stalls selling vinyl, books and all manner of Genesis and general prog memorabilia. It wasn’t to be, but I was not to be disappointed.

Before and between the bands, the organisers screened compilation films they had, presumably, made themselves, of rare live footage. This was mostly footage of the individual band members touring, or presenting in some way their solo material. These were captivating the first time round, but by the third screening, I was left wanting something more.

As the venue slowly filled up, an announcement was made that Anthony Phillips and John Mayhew were at the merchandise stand signing things. I’m not really an autograph hunter, but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to exchange a few words with ex members of my all time favourite prog band. I told them I was pleasantly surprised to see them there and Mayhew told me that he and Anthony had not seen or spoke to each other for 36 years before that day! Well, I couldn’t resist the temptation to make them feel ancient, and told them I was 1 year old, when they last met! The colour did seem to drain from their faces..

Anyway first band up was ‘Face Value’ from Liverpool. This band celebrates the Collins era Genesis only and their singer sounds remarkably like Phil Collins. Even his banter between songs was extremely Collins-esque. Almost a little creepy I thought. At the beginning of their set they had a few technical problems; or rather the drummer had a few problems keeping up with the click track and sequencer. Yes, you read correctly; sequencer. The songs from Invisible Touch demanded it. I was a little disappointed that the drummer was using exclusively synth drums, but overall, once they had warmed up, they sounded pretty impressive. Hi-lights for me were Domino, Fading Lights, Home by the Sea, which sounded very authentic and was complimented by a great light show. Their encore kicked off with Afterglow which also sounded excellent and successfully distracted the folk at the back of the hall, from their watered down lager for five minutes. Their set list was:

No son of Mine
Land of Confusion
Domino
Many too many
Misunderstanding
Fading Lights
In the air Tonight
Throwing it all away
Home by the Sea/Second Home..

Afterglow
Mama/I know what I like/Illegal Alien/Follow you Follow me

An hour or so later, ‘In the Cage’ took to the stage. ITC are a little older and better rehearsed than Face Value, and play music from both eras. They opened with Watcher of the Skies, their singer proudly sporting his Gabriel bat wing head dress, and accompanied by REAL Mellotron playing that fantastic intro. Their whole set sounded great from beginning to end. The selection of songs was good too, although I would have liked to have heard less from Duke. I love that album , but as you see from the list below, there was a bit of Duke overkill. That’s said Dukes Travels and Dukes end did sound fantastic. When the band crashed back in with Dukes end after that quiet Mellotron link between the two pieces, it really sent a shiver down my back. All this from a tribute band!! I felt I was getting my moneys worth. Their rendition of Mad Man Moon was also impressive, and featured a new instrument that keyboard player Henry had invented. It was basically a rack of tuned bottles, which he had aptly Christened the ‘Bottle Banks’ Suppers Ready and Firth of Fifth were both expertly presented and sounded authentic. Songs of this stature, and quality, demand to be presented perfectly or not at all, as far as I’m concerned. In the Cage passed the test. Their set list was as follows:

Watcher of the Skies
Behind the Lines
Duchess
Guide Vocal
Turn it on Again
Dukes Travels/Dukes End
Harold the Barrel
Mad Man Moon
Suppers Ready

Firth of Fifth

I was unable to make Sundays event, but that was probably enough tribute bands for me. I left the venue having been impressed by what I had heard, but feeling a little depressed that I had missed out on the best era of music history, and was left with just an animated rock wax works to keep the memory alive. However, the imitators were very talented and very entertaining, and I salute them.

Edited by Blacksword - June 01 2006 at 09:32
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 13:49
Nice review Andy. That's a nice story about Philips and Mayhew meeting up again, I bet they were pleased to be reminded about their age! Glad to see you got your review in safely!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 14:04
Cheers Alan.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 03:25
Thanks Andy.I would have liked to have gone but it was a Bank Holiday weekend and I already had plans.Maybe next year??! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 05:35
Certainly Richard, although this event is not always held in London, as far as I'm aware. But any gigs you fancy in the London area give me a shout. I'm sure a few of us could meet up.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:56
Great stuff Andy. I really, really, REALLY wish I had been there with you.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 15:14
Hey Simon! Good to hear from you sir!

Yes, obviously I thought of you when that geezer from In the Cage took to the stage in his Gabriel gear. I remember you telling me about the shock, mild amusement and utter elation you felt when he played in Putney that night.

We'll do a gig soon, mate. I shall be in touch.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 11:27
Things appear to be a little less hectic now so I'd be more than happy to meet up guv'nor. I can also give you a rough copy of the album for you to have a lsiten to if you like.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 14:25
^Yep! I'd love to hear the album. I shall PM you asap.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 16:41
^ Simon,Andy... Keith Emerson 20th July at The London Astoria...either of you brave enough to go?Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 06:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Simon,Andy... Keith Emerson 20th July at The London Astoria...either of you brave enough to go?[IMG]height=17 alt=Tongue src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Sorry Richard. I've not looked in here for a while. You should have PM'd me about Keith Emerson. I would probably have come just for the hell of it. Was it good?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Simon,Andy... Keith Emerson 20th July at The London Astoria...either of you brave enough to go?[IMG]height=17 alt=Tongue src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Sorry Richard. I've not looked in here for a while. You should have PM'd me about Keith Emerson. I would probably have come just for the hell of it. Was it good?

It was better than good Andy.Much better than when he toured a few years ago.The band are a real band and KE still has tons of energy despite being close to pensionable age.I didn't think you would be that interested to be honest so I didn't PM you.Maybe Emerson will return to play London again.He certainly was enjoying himself and enjoyed the audience adulation!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 19:33
Sorry Richard. I blew it too. Cry
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 16:31
^ Simon, don't forget Magenta 8th SeptemberSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply