Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many keys do I need on my synth????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many keys do I need on my synth????
    Posted: June 07 2006 at 17:46
did any of the classic prog bands use the Oddity or ImOSCar?  I see M-audio has them also but i dno about them at all
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 00:44
It's a "light version" of Ableton's Live - which is a kick-ass sequencing/remixing program:

I use Sonar, Project 5, Reason & Notion to write with - Project 5 is probably closest to Live, but Live has some particulars that tempt me to get it as well.  My salesguy down at Sam Ash swears by this program!

"Music is the best." ~ FZ
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 00:27
COOL!  WHats the Live LE?
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 22:18
LC - The one you picked should work just fine - plus you get a copy of Live LE, which will enable you to start composing as well right away, and give you those much-needed basic effects such as reverb and delay.  Get rockin', boy!  Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 01:04
or should i get the Axiom 61

edit: just noticed the M-audio synths im looking at are around $200

THIS THING Kurzweil PC2 is almost $2,000!!!

Whats the big difference!?!?  DO i need all that extra stuff? i just want to play the vintage stuff

Edited by The Lost Chord - June 05 2006 at 01:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 00:59
I am going to pickup the M-Audio Keystation 61es

Is this a good choice?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 00:49
O)K it seems M-audio doesnt have any 76 key controllers...is there a semi-weighted midi controller you could reccommend for someone like me, looking to play all those songs i mentioned?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:55
thank you so much!
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:01
Lost Chord - Here are staples of the classic prog-rock keyboard sounds, and in my opinion, the best soft-synths for emulating those sounds:

Grand Piano - Used by all of the masters.

Hammond Organ - Ditto - this is a must-have sound for your arsenal,

Mellotron - Most of the masters used it, some didn't - such as Emerson.

Moog Modular/Mini-Moog - A cornerstone of both Emerson's and Wakeman's sound.  You're probably best off going with a Mini-Moog to start if you don't have a background in synth programming.

Info on the Mini-Moog:

Arp2600 - some used the Moog, some used the Arp.  If you want access to all of the classic sounds, you'll probably want both.

Info on the 2600:

Yamaha CS-80 - Its precursor, the GX-1 was used by Emerson on albums "Works" - on forward.

Info on the CS-80: 

Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, RMI Electric Piano & Hohner Pianet -

The keyboard you were wondering about, the Pianet?  It's included in the soft-synth above.

Clavinet -

Harpsichord, Celeste, Accordian & Pipe Organ - To get more esoteric instruments such as these, you're going to have to first invest in a sample library front-end such as Giga-Sampler or Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 12:25
BTW, this would be of great help, and im sure you know these:  which software would i need for each of these synth parts?:

Watcher of the Skies intro (Guessing M-Tron?)
Giant Hogweed
Strawberry Fields Forever
EVERYTHING by early moody blues (I am hoping it is all M-Tron)
ELP Hoedown, Jerusalem, most of Brain Salad Surgery
The YES Album and CLose to the Edge (And you and I)
Strawbs Grave New World whole album

Just let me know that and I will surely know what synth software to buy!!

I am confused because you mentioned the name of the synth in the hogweed video but it is not any of the software names...so im just double checking with all of these!
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:45

You're going to need to clear up some disk space - these soft-synths are powerful, but they're also spacehogs.  The Mtron requires 2.6 GB alone - leaving you very little room after intalling it...I'm not a computer expert, but I understand having that little amount of disk space left for scratch disks, etc. is not good for your computer.

The other thing you needs to consider it this:  many of the vintage synth soft-synths don't come with effects, they assume you have some sort of sequencing package with effects already in place.  Before buying ANY of the above-listed synths, I'd buy a sequencing package first.  You can buy Cakewalk Home Studio for under $100.00, and it has a fairly complete range of effects you'll NEED in order to emulate the sounds you want.  PLUS, it'll afford you the ability to actually start composing stuff.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=9&TempID=10&STRID=103640&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=1312&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

Edited by Jaydubz - June 04 2006 at 10:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 01:40
used space 67.3 GB
free space 3.55 GB

pentium 4 cpu 3.00Ghz
2.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

thats what the thing syas on my comp.
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 23:56
Lost Chord - Don't be fooled by the look of that softsynth - it's purely digital, it just looks like a piece of hardware! Wink

Sounds like your PC should be ok - how much RAM are you rockin'?  Are you getting enough amplification with the speakers that you're running on your PC that you'll be able to jam with others?

As for your question re:  88- key synths (or any keyboard for that matter) - 88- key keyboards are designed to emulate a piano.  The only other vintage keyboard that had that many keys were the 2- manual Hammond organs such as the B3.  76 keys should more then suffice for this part of your musical journey!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:07
Here is what I am going to get, for starts, let me know what you think and if you can reccomend anything else:

1.  Fr the controller, I am definitely going to get semi-weighted, and I was going to buy an M-audio keyboard with 76 keys i suppose, so long as i can play everything i want.  Question with this:  DId any major prog bands back then use 88 key synths, ever?

2.  I will be getting the M-Tron to start, and nothing else, i dont have the money yet....I will start with M-Tron.

Now, is there a specific type of PC i need for this at all?  I have a good PC, a Dell customized top of the line about a year ago...its nice, has alot of space, but my sound card may not be up to par, but it seems it would be...it works with all the arturia demos.

Let me know man!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:01
btw i am COMPLETELY lost on what this thing is Lounge Lizard - Interface

im just thinking controller - USB - my PC - done.

What is this?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 16:58
wow thanks for the pics and the info, thats exciting to see!  I think i am going to go with the semi weighted or whatever, seems it will work best for me, thanks man!
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:48

Thanks, Lost Chord!  I've been slowly building my studio rig for many years, pretty much constantly upgrading, but I think I'm at a point where my "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" is pretty much sated.  I'm not so sure this type of equipment can sound any better than it does right now.  Here's a more recent shot from last week, but I've since replaced the CRT monitor with a 21.3" LCD flat screen, which has freed up a considerable amount of desk space

I've recently added a Roland V-Synth XT (in the new shelf on the desk) - an amazing synth that features Roland's "elastic audio."  I put it close to me because that's actually a touch-screen on the unit.  Finally hooked it up last weekend, it sounds killa'!   Not seen in the pics are all of the acoustic instruments, which normally reside in the closet: tenor recorder, C flute, alto flute, Bb clarinet, alto clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, Yamaha WX-11 & WX-5 wind synths, Bob Moog Theremin (hand-signed by Bob), vintage Maestro Woodwind System, six & twelve string acoustic guitars, mandolin & electric sitar.

I only wish I could play music every day!  I realized long ago that I'd have to have a normal career (in my case, corporate finance) to afford me the ability to come home and write music in the comfort of my own space...without having to worry about whether anyone but myself was pleased with my creative output!  Although I studied music comp through college, I took a queue from Charles Ives - one of the great American composers of the 20th century.  He had a successful career in insurance, lived a comfortable lifestyle and composed in his spare time.  Remarkably, despite his "avocation vs. vocation" approach to composing, he left an indelible mark on modern music.

My wife and I live in a "magical" area of the Hollywood Hills called Laurel Canyon.  It was the epicenter of the '60s and '70s LA rock scene.  Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, the Doors, Carole King, Brian Wilson,  Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Byrds, David Bowie and so many other rock legends lived here.  The neighborhood is the subject of a great new book written by a neighbor, Michael Walker - "Laurel Canyon"

Here's a view from our deck, looking up to the top of Lookout Mountain, where Carole King wrote her classic album "Tapestry"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 14:59
wow my friend youve got one killer setup in there, and i like the relayer poster :)

Where do you live? im only 19 and thinking about where i want to be in order to do what you are doing, play music everyday and just chill and have a nice place to do it!
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 00:38
The ELP footy features a Hammond C3 under Keith's Moog modular - with an L-100 on the opposite side.  The L-100 is the one he used to bash around and stab with daggers.

As of the CS-80v - if you want to play any ELP from "Works" onward, the CS-80v will give you a great emulation of the GX-1...

Smile

Edited by Jaydubz - June 02 2006 at 00:40
Jaydubz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 00:29

You want Pianet?  Wink

http://www.applied-acoustics.com/loungelizard.htm

I think I'll actually snag this puppy myself - sounds killer!  I'm actually an "old-skool hardware" hold-out when it comes to soft-synths - but I've run out of rack-space, and it's forced me to check out all the cool stuff that's out there now...and I'm really enjoying it!

Here's where I go when I'm feelin' inspired...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>