FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone a fan of rap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone a fan of rap
    Posted: June 02 2006 at 15:55
Personally I have little respect for it because of its lack of musicality and creativity; I see it as moving music away from an art form and transforming it into a sort of vehicle for comercial sucess, and I also believe it promotes a negative message. However as a form of singing I am greatly intrigued and believe it needs to be explored further in other styles, Pain of Salvation have used it to great sucess. I express a great deal of emotion and is rather unique.

I must admit to being recently impressed by one rapper, Kanye West. He creates some very interesting beats and backs them up with his great rapping.

EDIT: Due to a spelling error I was complimenting Kanye's ability to rape women instead of his singing, now corrected.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - June 04 2006 at 23:57
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 15:58
I have some hope in the genre itself but I don't think any of the rap I've heard yet is substantial. Most rap I've heard is composed of 3-5 notes repeated over and over again.

I think we need more musical rap (a thing I've personally never heard. If you know some musical rap, just tell me.)

We also need lyrics other than : f**k, bitches, ass

IMO someting interesting could come out from rap someday.

Tongue

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:00
NoDead!
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:00

I like the hardcore,old school kind of stuff...like NWA.

And I LOVE Public Enemy.Clap

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

I have some hope in the genre itself but I don't think any of the rap I've heard yet is substantial. Most rap I've heard is composed of 3-5 notes repeated over and over again.

I think we need more musical rap (a thing I've personally never heard. If you know some musical rap, just tell me.)

Tongue

Kanye West actually recently released a live album where he's backed by an orchestra. It's not developed as fully as it could be but it's a start.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Tongue

Kanye West actually recently released a live album where he's backed by an orchestra. It's not developed as fully as it could be but it's a start.

I've not heard that Kanye West but the rap industry needs more people like him. Clap

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Hector Gilbert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 17:09
I like most of the rap music that I've bothered to pursue (I have about thirty albums in the style). It's just a nice change every once in a while from rock music to hear something with more of a focus on vocal clarity. It's also very rhythm-oriented, which is a feature that makes it stylistically different from most prog rock. So I guess if prog rock to you represents something of an ideal state for all other music to live up to, you're never going to get into it. But if you want a change from your usual listening, there it is.

To those who are curious, Public Enemy's landmark album It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory would be among the best albums to start with. It Takes A Nation... is very sample-heavy, but in 1988 that was the point - it was much easier/cheaper back then to take a riff here, a drum sound there and cobble it together into an entirely different context. The unrelenting sociopolitical commentaries would also be relatively palatable to those who are particularly tired of the clichés of chart rap. The Low End Theory mainly served to outline the social climate of 90s America, with a particular emphasis on the music business and the group's frustration with it. Stylistically the album showed heavy jazz influences (albeit put in the context of simple grooves) and sounds a lot less rigid then most rap music even today.
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 17:26

Tongue

I've not heard that Kanye West but the rap industry needs more people like him. Clap

If only George Bush could stop not caring about people like him...Ermm
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 18:56

Personally I have little respect for it because of its lack of musicality and creativity; I see it as moving music away from an art form and transforming it into a sort of vehicle for comercial sucess, and I also believe it promotes a negative message.

You obviosly are not familiar with French Hip Hop. Manau, for instance, is one of the freshest aproaches to music I've heard, with their album "Panique Celtique". And then there is MC Sollar...
Bigger on the inside.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 19:01
I hate gangsta' rap etc, but some regular rap songs are very good, IMO. Also, I think some alternative/experimental rap is cool, though it isn't something I would buy.

Edited by Bj-1 - June 02 2006 at 19:02
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 19:03
I like a bit of Eminem and de La Soul.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 19:27
I do think there are hip hop artists that do something different and creative. de la Soul was classic... I also enjoy some Snoop Dog, Busta Rhymes, and Outkast.
Pure Brilliance:
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 00:38
Hehehe. You know, "rapper" has two p's; the word with one p means one who rapes. Which is ironic considering most rap lyrics :-)

I do not like Rap because there's little to no melody. The song Hey Ya by Outkast makes me want to break something.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 00:43

I have a great hope in Rap........I hope that people will soon get bored and vanishes as a nightmare.

Iván

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 01:00
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I have a great hope in Rap........I hope that people will soon get bored and vanishes as a nightmare.

Iván

I couldn't agree more Unfortunately I had this thought about twenty years ago, and it still hasn't happened.

There have been some sporadic moments of quality, but of course they weren't profitable enough. I remember a movement in the '90s called street Jazz. They had actual music playing, and intelligent lyrics. No wonder it didn't catch on.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 03:03
I heard some rhythmically and lyrically impressive rap, but the only names I can remember are MC Solaar, The Metrics (they rapped on one of the albums by Steve Coleman) and Roots Manuva (talk about crazy lyrics, I'm yet to hear anything as out there in prog). Actually, I'd like to hear more...

Serguilloche View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 11:33

Personally I have little respect for it because of its lack of musicality and creativity; I see it as moving music away from an art form and transforming it into a sort of vehicle for comercial sucess, and I also believe it promotes a negative message. However as a form of singing I am greatly intrigued and believe it needs to be explored further in other styles, Pain of Salvation have used it to great sucess. I express a great deal of emotion and is rather unique.

I must admit to being recently impressed by one raper, Kanye West. He creates some very interesting beats and backs them up with his great raping.

LOL isn't the term 'rapist'?
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:45
Kanye West is safe, dumbed-down mainstream crap with a veneer of sophistication that's as fake as Bruce Springsteen's "working man" image. There is so much more inetersting stuff going on in the underground, and pleanty of rappers who are much, much better than he is.

Jean Grae. No one can touch her - that's the first thing you need to know.

Quasimoto/Madlib/Yeterday's New Quintet, Dr Octagon/Kool Keith, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, RJD2, Innerstance Beatbox, DJ Shadow and many more are far more creative and progressive than the safe, cross-overy blandness of Kanye.
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:07
Gee, if the genre has been around 20 years and has not disappeared, you think that might give you a clue that it is a valid genre? I have to admit, the close mindedness of many of the people here give me pause to associate myself with prog.

Hector, great choices.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:08
Oh, and Tea, there is nothing fake about Springsteen's working man image...obviously, he is not living on welfare, but I think he has earned both is salary and his status. And, considering how much he donates of both is money and time to things like food banks and such, I think the time has come for people to stop dumping on him just because he is successful.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>