Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost progressive beatle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: The most progressive beatle?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.17%]
6 [25.00%]
5 [20.83%]
12 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most progressive beatle?
    Posted: June 03 2006 at 05:50
Focusing on beatles , not ex-beatles, who was the most progressive?

Harrison added new instruments such as the sitar and the 12-string and wrote psychedelic music with his eastern influences. Also (one of) the first to experiment with the Moog synthesizer. But didn't really contribute to the proto-prog masterpiece, Sgt. Pepper. Excellent works of psychedelia on the Yellow Submarine album.

Paul McCartney's most progressive moment was perhaps when he conceived the idea of Sgt. Pepper and always allowed brass and woodwind instruments to add extra textures to the music. Combined classical and music hall with popular music. 

Lennon almost single-handedly developed popular music as we know it today and used his voice as an extra instrument. Along with Harrison, allowed drugs to liberate musical form. Evolved lyrics beyond the from-me-to-you and she-loves-you standard to I am the Walrus. Succesfully added "finger-play" folk guitar to rock and experimented with avantgarde (The White Album).

Ringo...well..erh..
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 07:42
Lennon was generally the one who wanted to try unusual things such as flanging, ADT, recording vocals lying on the floor, backwards tapes, tape loops but McCartney has actually done more weird stuff than people realise.

btw, Lennon got his "finger-play" folk guitar style from Donovan.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 08:46
And chewing "something" while singing - think it was during the "All you need is love" television broadcast. Unusual at the time and possibly even today. Yeah, he did  experiment with his singing.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 10:47
I gave my vote to Paul, because it's very close between John and him. Of course Paul would have brought much more pop kitsch into the Beatles, if it hadn't been for John, but he is an awesome bass-player, he has a hand for tunes, he added (as earlyprog said before) new instruments to the groups sound.
But of course is the proggier of those four, although George tried to experiment with electronic sound (and failed for most of the time) and Ringo - name any singer who's more prog thatn Ringo on "Yellow Submarine" and "With A Little Help From My Friends" LOLLOL
"We've got to get in to get out"
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 12:13
It is my (unpopular) opinion that Revolution #9 is the best thing that the Beatles ever did, and that was all Lennon.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 14:33
I can't remember if it was during the Revolver sessions or Sgt. Peppers that John wanted to try being suspended by a rope upside down over the microphone while he was swinging around the mic to record his vocals, just trying to get a different sound.
I think he was trying to emulate the Leslie speaker sound. You have to love Lennon for wanting to try new and different sounds that were never recorded before up to that time.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 14:51
LOLLOLLOL
Far outLOL
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 04:50
Not forgetting that Lennon discovered, controlled and recorded feedback in September/October 1964. Hard to imagine ELP and Hendrix without it.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 05:13
Ringo by a mile LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 11:12
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

It is my (unpopular) opinion that Revolution #9 is the best thing that the Beatles ever did, and that was all Lennon.
I'm not surprised that's an unpopular opinion. Revolution #9 is frequently voted the worst Beatles song in polls and of course it's like nothing else in their repertoire. The question is, would he have recorded it without Yoko's influence?
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by Bastille Dude Bastille Dude wrote:

I can't remember if it was during the Revolver sessions or Sgt. Peppers that John wanted to try being suspended by a rope upside down over the microphone while he was swinging around the mic to record his vocals, just trying to get a different sound.
I think he was trying to emulate the Leslie speaker sound. You have to love Lennon for wanting to try new and different sounds that were never recorded before up to that time.

Should've tried that on some of Yoko's solo work...I think the "whale songs" might've sounded more realistic...
 Post Reply Post Reply