Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJim Steinman

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should Jim Steinman be included in the Progarchives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [37.50%]
5 [62.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jim Steinman
    Posted: June 03 2006 at 13:34
I just listened to Jim Steinman’s 1981 album „Bad For Good“ and asked myself, if the works of Steinman (especially his co-operation with Meatloaf) maybe qualify him for the Progarchives in the category Prog-Related. He sure wrote some epic pieces (Bad For Good, Paradise By The Dashboardlight or Bat Out Of Hell come to mind) of which maybe even Richard Wagner would have been proud of had he been living in a rock and roll world. Please vote and discuss.
"We've got to get in to get out"
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 13:50
Hmmm....never been quite sure how seriously Steinman took this style of music........must confess to a sneaky regard of his stuff, either with Meatloaf, without, or the songs he wrote for Bonnie Tyler (whose name I may well have misspelt). So, can't really vote, since although I think it's good stuff, not sure if it's only pastiche, let alone prog.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 13:54
I'm not ashamed to repeat I'm a Meatloaf & Steinman fan, I believe Bat Out of Hell and Bat Out of Hell II are amazing pieces of work and the piano is impecable, but Prog....NO WAY.

Meatloaf  doesn't have the style to be Prog (Excellent voice though) and Steinman has the skills but never had the desire, he was more comfortable writting excellent but simple music.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 03 2006 at 17:22

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:15
I don't know how you can say that Steinman wrote simple music Ivan - maybe he did, but he also wrote a lot of complex music that puts many songs by prog bands to shame - the track "Bat Out Of Hell" is an example that springs to mind.

I'm not saying Steinman should be in the archives - but I do think you seriously underestimate him!
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:24
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I don't know how you can say that Steinman wrote simple music Ivan - maybe he did, but he also wrote a lot of complex music that puts many songs by prog bands to shame - the track "Bat Out Of Hell" is an example that springs to mind.

I'm not saying Steinman should be in the archives - but I do think you seriously underestimate him!

Hey Cert, never when I said simple I was referring to non Prog, it was a lapsus, I'm a Steinman - Meatloaf fan Wink

I said Jim Steinman did amazing pieces of music with impeccable piano  but never had the desire to make Prog music.

That's all.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 03 2006 at 17:25

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:29
I used to listen to Steinman's work almost exclusively. I was a total fanatic. In fact, Bat Out Of Hell was the first album I can remember listening to and it made me love music. I don't listen to him so much nowadays. I think I just got tired of hearing the same songs over and over. I think he should be listed as Prog-Related because of some of the songs on his solo album (specifically Stark Raving Love) and because of his theatrical/operatic tendencies.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:36
Steinman only made one album in his own name, and that was because meatloaf had most his voice. If the artists Steinman wrote for are being suggested, they should be in their own names.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:43
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Steinman only made one album in his own name, and that was because meatloaf had most his voice. If the artists Steinman wrote for are being suggested, they should be in their own names.

You know Bob, I don't believe Meatloaf is even Prog Related, but if he was added I wouldn't feel totally uncomfortable.

There are some slight encounter points, the piano is unbelievable, pristine clear, but Prog....well you would have to bend the rules too much IMO.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 17:44
But who made the greatest contribution to, eg, bat out of hell? You might say Meatloaf, but once you'd heard Steinman's "Bad for Good", admittedly recorded when Meat had lost his voice (or so the legend has it), you'd have to accept JS as the larger influence..........and BT's songs are clearly Steinman-esque........my argument would be, if you put JS in (which I'm not sure is justified), then all of his stuff goes in together: Bat, Bad & Lost in France .....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 11:34
Not lost in France, that was pre Steinman. I think you mean Total eclipse.

There would also be Sisters of Mercy, Air Supply, Barry Manilow, Whistle Down the wind, Streets of Fire, etc..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 14:31

Not lost in France, that was pre Steinman. I think you mean Total eclipse.

There would also be Sisters of Mercy, Air Supply, Barry Manilow, Whistle Down the wind, Streets of Fire, etc..
Yup, that would be me makin' an arse of myself again (I should really think about that as a signature)........Big smile

Did Steinman write for all that lot too? Nevertheless, he isn't what made BM, BM - if you see what I mean....or the others either..?

"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 15:02
Fair point CT, but would they be included in the Steinman entry here?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:09

Fair point CT, but would they be included in the Steinman entry here?
I have no idea, not knowing anything about how much of their output, or image, JS was responsible for (although I have a gut feeling that "Mandy" may not have been a JS song Tongue ).
But Meatloaf was to JS as "The Monster" was to Dr Frankenstein..............and I'm still searching for an equivalent metaphor for Bonnie........
In any case, I don't personally think he's prog.........just fun............
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 17:32
Most were just one song. Sisters of mercy was most of an album (well worth hearing by the way).

"Whistle down the wind" was a musical collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber (I think) which spawned the single "No matter what". Meatloaf thought he had an agreement that his version of the single would be released, but a boy band (Boyzone I think) got there first, leading to another fall out between Steinman and Meatloaf.

"Streets of fire" was a film. It was totally unsuccessful, but had one of Steinman's best ever songs "Tonight is what it means to be young".

Another album he did was by what he called Pandora's' box. It had several lead female vocalists on it, and is every bit as good as his work with Meatloaf.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 18:02

Most were just one song. Sisters of mercy was most of an album (well worth hearing by the way).

"Whistle down the wind" was a musical collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber (I think) which spawned the single "No matter what". Meatloaf thought he had an agreement that his version of the single would be released, but a boy band (Boyzone I think) got there first, leading to another fall out between Steinman and Meatloaf.

"Streets of fire" was a film. It was totally unsuccessful, but had one of Steinman's best ever songs "Tonight is what it means to be young".

Another album he did was by what he called Pandora's' box. It had several lead female vocalists on it, and is every bit as good as his work with Meatloaf.
Thanks for the info. Smile
Irrelevant but true: when a student in London in the early eighties, I saw Meatloaf in concert twice - good stuff. The second time, I took my baby brother to what was his first rock concert (I think he was about 16 - there's a big gap between us). We were about 8 rows from the front, and when Mr. Loaf did his big jump into the audience, he landed about 4 rows in - as I recall, quite making little bro's day.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:18

I find it a bit difficult to follow you here, as I agree, that Meatloaf (and Bonnie Tyler) did more stuff which wasn't prog-related in any way. What I'm wondering about is if Steinman could be included as a composer.
In Rock (and Prog) you very seldom have people, who are better known as composers than as artists. From the non-Prog side guys like Chinn/Chapman come to mind, who wrote an awful lot of stuff for glam-rock-bands like Slade, Sweet oder Suzy Quatro.  But when you think about classical music, you have the famous composers whose works are being played (often excellent) by various orchestras under a number of conductors. But then you would include the composer in an encyclopedia before you mention the different recordings that were made of their compositions, wouldn't you?
Thus, if Steinman was included I think it would be possible to mention in his biography that he wrote for others without having to include them as well.

Edited by Guzzman - June 05 2006 at 12:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 13:40
It would set a precedent if we added someone as a "composer" rather than as an artist. We don't have any such entries at the moment, the closest being the inclusion of "Variations" in the various artists section.

I'm not sure either how you could reflect his discography with other artists without adding their albums. Do you then add every album he was involved in, even if it was just one track? (Barry Manilow's greatest hits!)

My own view is that we do not want to go down the composer route, but let's open that up for debate.

I don't think Steinman shoudl be added on that basis as a one off exception though, it would need to be as part of an overall policy change.

(My posts in this thread are all personal thoughts by the way, not admin related)
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:55
I see what you mean, Bob.
I didn't intend to set a precedent, although it might be an idea to have a category "composers". But I'm aware of the fact that nowadays you don't have so many composers, who don't play their own music. How's that for progression: The bands write and play their own material, whereas the geezers some years ago (in some cases even centuries ago) needed whole orchestras to be able to listen to the stuff they wrote! LOL
Did you hear, btw, that Meat Loaf is taking legal action against Steinman and a former manager? They somehow managed to get the rights for the title "Bat Out Of Hell" and now Meat Loaf claims that for the audience his name is much more closely tied to "BOOT" than that of Steinman. Meat Loaf wants 50 million $ compensation - that'd be 12,5 million per word - not bad for a Bat, if you can excuse the pun.

Post Reply Post Reply