Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slint, Mono, Bell Orchestre and more post-rock...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlint, Mono, Bell Orchestre and more post-rock...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slint, Mono, Bell Orchestre and more post-rock...
    Posted: June 06 2006 at 01:42
These are some Post-rock bands that need to be in PA:

Slint - One of the founders of post-rock and the album Spiderland is concidered to be the first true post-rock album

Mono - One of the leading post-rock bands from Japan at the moment

Bell Orchestre - Violin and trumpet oriented. They have a certain "epic" feel without sounding like GY!BE

65daysofstatic - A very electronic band often categorised as "post-core". Heavy, electric, energetic.

Tarentel
- I don't know much about this band but they are post-rock in every sence and thier album has some little experimentations here and there.

Rachel's - A very known post-rock band amongst the fans of the genre. I have to admit I haven't heard them but I hear their name alot in post-rock chatrooms and recommendations.

Set Fire to Flames
- Another GY!BE offshot consisting in 13 members and sounds very similar to GY!BE. I got to admit, I didn't knew they where another band until I saw the name.

God is an Astronaut - As the name says, their music sounds like a trip to the moon. Very space sounding and melodic

Mountain Men Anonymous
- I think they've made the God is an Astronaut sound first and more epic sounding and a bit more electronic than God is an Astronaut.

Dirty Three - a band only made by a guitar, drums and a violin player. Another praised band amongst post-rock fans.

I'm sure the post-rock team have heard of them.

I'll post more bands in the future as I keep exploring the genre. (I know more bands but I still think those are pretty much essential at the moment)

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 02:15
Slint actually got rejected by the team already. I do agree though that they were one of the founders of the movement. Mono, Bell Orchestre, God Is an Astronaut and 65 Days... all have been cleared it appears.

I definitely agree with Rachel's, but the rest I still haven't heard enough to judge.

I would like to see Animal Collective, Zombi and Mew on here too. They have threads here, but they keep getting lost and nothing is done with them.

Edited by Moatilliatta - June 06 2006 at 02:19
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 04:23
Well, as Moatilliatta already said, some of the bands have already been accepted. Bell Orchestre will be added in a day or two.

I'll ask Bryan to add Dirty Three and Mountain Men Anonymous to the post-rock chart.
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 06:24
Well here is a link to Tarentel's web site http://www.tarentel.com/

They have 3 albums and a whole bunch of EP's out.
Their sound ranges from sort of spacey / ambient rock through to straight rock and some kraut rock elements.
The last album "we move through weather" was quite experimental and had a few drone sounding peices on it.
I suppose you could say they are quite like earlier Bark Psychosis without the vocals.

If you are lucky enough to live in the USA you could go to see them along with Pelican and Mono!!!! Lucky people! The venues and dates are on there site.

I don't think they have ever played in the UK... I could be wrong but I've never seen them.Unhappy

bamba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:02

Very interesting bands you mentioned, I have already made a topic about Rachel's, and for sure it's Post Rock.

Also Tarentel; I have only listen "From Bone to Satellite" and it was pretty amazing post rock.

The others are also well known post rock bands.
Learning Flute [Amigo de Manticore y Memowakeman] (primo)[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2437702285_fbb450500d_o.jpg
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:16
Nice list Chamberry, in fact now im listening to God is an Astronaut... and its great Clap

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:17
I still don't get it why Slint were rejected though.

-- Ivan
sig
bamba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:21

Other bands that should be added to the post-rock chart:

Japancakes
The Dead Texan
Jim O'Rourke (solo albums)
Isotope 217
The Cancer Conspiracy
Learning Flute [Amigo de Manticore y Memowakeman] (primo)[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2437702285_fbb450500d_o.jpg
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:56
Thanks for the heads up Jimbo Thumbs Up

One question, why where Slint rejected?

Moatilliatta: I heard Animal Collective's Here comes the indian and they one helluva expermental band.

memowakeman: If you like God is an Astronaut, wait 'till you hear Mountain Men Anonymous

Edited by chamberry - June 06 2006 at 13:00

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 13:49
Slint was a tough call, as they're are arguably one of the founding fathers of the genre. Nevertheless, they are not really post-rock themselves IMO, perhaps "proto-post rock" would be more accurate.

Unfortunately, we can't add them as proto-prog either because there can only be bands prior to 1969. Wouldn't mind seeing them in prog-related, though.

Regarding Rachel's, I still haven't made up my mind about them, as there's hardly any rock aspect to their music... While I definitely see and recognize their similarities with GY!BE etc. I'm still not fully convinced. They are borderline classical music (chamber music), and the last time I checked, rock and classical were two different beasts. We'll see what happens. (This is based on Music For Egon Schiele and Systems/Layers) ...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 14:56
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't add them as proto-prog either because there can only be bands prior to 1969. Wouldn't mind seeing them in prog-related, though.

Mike has enabled a Prog-Related option(the blue circle) on his website. You guys should think it over, I think.

-- Ivan
sig
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:54
Is Mono that band which created Life in Mono?
if so, i love that song...buti only know that song anyway

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Is Mono that band which created Life in Mono?
if so, i love that song...buti only know that song anyway

Don't know if that is the same band but the three albums I have by them (You Are There, Under the Pipal Tree and Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky...) are all fantastic.  They sound a bit like Explosions In The Sky to me.  I think there are more than one band named Mono out there.

Also, I think the earlier recommendation for Tarentel is a good one - great band.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 20:58
Slint had a profound influence on post-rock, but I have an extremely hard time actually placing them alongside Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, Mono and the like.  Maybe prog-related would be a viable route towards their inclusion though.

I agree with Jimbo on Rachel's... they're almost more neo-classical than post-rock or prog.  I can hear some indie sensibilities in their sound, and they're generally viewed as a part of the post-rock scene, so I'll probably end up okaying their addition, but it's a tough call.

Edited by Bryan - June 06 2006 at 20:59
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 20:45
^ Bell Orchestre sounds alot like a...well...an Orchestra. Very symphonic and all. Rachel's would be perfectly normal here since Bell Orchestre will be here too.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:52
^^ I disagree with you there. When you listen to Bell Orchestre, most of the time it's pretty evident that you're listening to a "rock" group (albeit a very classical-oriented one).

Rachel's, then again, has very little (or none at all) rock elements in their music. They will probably be added, because they're generally seen as part of the post-rock scene, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with it.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 10:37
Ok, I understand. I'm not making a clear statement since I haven't heard Rachel's but if it is as you say then I can't argue with that.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 12:08
I listened to Rachel's today, it was kind of boring and missed the characteristics, because of which I enjoy Post-Rock music. But I don't suppose entertainment is an important parameter when it comes to Progressive Music, so that means nothing, I guess.

-- Ivan
sig
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 14:34
Rachel's are on the list of bands to be added. Sean Trane is working on adding Tarantel.
 Post Reply Post Reply