FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix
    Posted: June 06 2006 at 20:03
This has been my no1, well, yeah, no2 question i wanted to ask... Why everyone (most people) thinks that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever..??

Of course I know he was the leading guitarist at the time, who brought guitar world to the next level, influenced many guitarists..

However, in terms of technical skills, songwriting and creativity, and stuff, he was not the best... So, what is your opinion?? Wink

oh, this thread is not offend anyone even Jimi Hendrix himself... Big smile

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 21:13
I think much of his hype is because of his early death, and to many people he was more of a guitarist, he was a role model, and people let that influence how they view his music.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 21:23
Hendrix was a great guitarist, better than most guitarists in the world. But I don't know if he's THE best.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 21:29
If you consider the evolution of electric guitar playing as a step curve, where each groundbreaking guitarist kicks the step up a notch further than it was set before, I think there's a case to be made for the biggest of those steps being the one created by Hendrix.

He may in many ways be outpaced and outshined by a great many guitarists that have come along after him, but not only do they inevitably build on his legacy, but I don't think any individual guitarist I can think of right now - except maybe for Robert Fripp - has created quite as huge a step on that there curve.

Edited by Teaflax - June 06 2006 at 21:29
soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 23:47

It's nice knowing that I'm not the only one who would leave Jimi out of a "Ten Best Guitarists of All Time" list; he just didn't have the time to amass the kind of discography it takes to be considered.  On the other hand, I agree that he took rock guitar playing to a new level (I saw him on his first tour, with Soft Machine opening; both acts produced a huge wall of noise).  One of my old college music professors just idolized Hendrix; his 70's Boston-area rock band Tracks had a long tribute to Jimi on one of their albums.  Interesting tidbit: Hendrix had planned on a collaboration with progressive electronic composer Bo Hansson ("Lord of the Rings"), but he died before it happened. 
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 01:10
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

If you consider the evolution of electric guitar playing as a step curve, where each groundbreaking guitarist kicks the step up a notch further than it was set before, I think there's a case to be made for the biggest of those steps being the one created by Hendrix.

He may in many ways be outpaced and outshined by a great many guitarists that have come along after him, but not only do they inevitably build on his legacy, but I don't think any individual guitarist I can think of right now - except maybe for Robert Fripp - has created quite as huge a step on that there curve.

OK, this is twice today you've posted exactly what I wanted to say before I could say it. Stop that! Angry Wink
Pure Brilliance:
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 01:47

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Prog Archives Tour Van
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:55
I think Teaflax is correct regarding Hendrix, he revolutionized guitar playing like no one else.
He deserves the title "The Greatest" but not "The Best"

Edited by RycheMan - June 07 2006 at 13:26
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 13:46
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I think much of his hype is because of his early death, and to many people he was more of a guitarist, he was a role model, and people let that influence how they view his music.

Yes, definitly the early death thing...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 16:06
Hendrix was an innovator and was a great all-rounder, in that not only did he write great highly influential music, but he also wrote great lyrics, which is more than can be said for the majority of guitar wizards out there. Besides, all other guitarists have outlived him and we don't know where he would have taken his music to, had he lived. Just think: Hendrix's career was very short-lived but in such a short space he completely started new styles. Technically speaking, have you ever seen/heard live footage of Hendrix playing guitar? Just check out his playing on the Woodstock festival (the added extra footage, not the usual Purple Haze or Star SpanKed Banner bollocks) or Machine Gun on The Band Of Gypsys live album for sheer fluidity?

Speaking strictly in progressive rock terms, Hendrix cannot be placed in such category as he had not yet touched classical music influences - I mean, he died at 27, so who knows whether he'd have taken a direction like McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Fripp, etc who were all blown away when they saw him perform live.

The guy deserves his credit.   

Edited by Minkia - June 07 2006 at 16:07
RELIGION IS HATE, RELIGION IS FEAR, RELIGION IS WAR,RELIGION IS RAPE, RELIGION'S OBSCENE,RELIGION'S A WHORE
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 10:31
Jimi's greatness lies not in his technical abilities. Malmsteen could blow him out of the water in the speed department. His greatness is in his tone and phrasing. These are fairly subtle aspects to guitar, but also the most difficult to do well. I don't know if I would call him the best ever, as I haven't heard every guitarist, but he was certainly one of the greats. As for his songwriting...eh it was ok.
YYZed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 17:17
Hendrix's early death really didn't give him much time to develop. He was leaning almost in a proggish direction towards the end.

His influence is unmatched, his playing is not.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 20:58
Originally posted by YYZed YYZed wrote:

Hendrix's early death really didn't give him much time to develop. He was leaning almost in a proggish direction towards the end.

His influence is unmatched, his playing is not.
Yes, he brought the guitar to an unmatched sonic level.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 22:05

If you consider the evolution of electric guitar playing as a step
curve, where each groundbreaking guitarist kicks the step up a notch
further than it was set before, I think there's a case to be made for
the biggest of those steps being the one created by Hendrix.

He may in many ways be outpaced and outshined by a great many
guitarists that have come along after him, but not only do they
inevitably build on his legacy, but I don't think any individual
guitarist I can think of right now - except maybe for Robert Fripp -
has created quite as huge a step on that there curve.

Yes, I too have to quote Teaflax. You hit the nail on the head. There were actually quite a few around him that were incredible (Clapton, Beck, and you could even make a case for Les Paul), but Hendrix broke it wide open.
Hierophant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 23:49
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

If you consider the evolution of electric guitar playing as a step
curve, where each groundbreaking guitarist kicks the step up a notch
further than it was set before, I think there's a case to be made for
the biggest of those steps being the one created by Hendrix.

He may in many ways be outpaced and outshined by a great many
guitarists that have come along after him, but not only do they
inevitably build on his legacy, but I don't think any individual
guitarist I can think of right now - except maybe for Robert Fripp -
has created quite as huge a step on that there curve.

Yes, I too have to quote Teaflax. You hit the nail on the head. There were actually quite a few around him that were incredible (Clapton, Beck, and you could even make a case for Les Paul), but Hendrix broke it wide open.

Agreed
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 23:18
Everything that could be said has been said. I also agree with Teaflax.

An interesting thing to note is how the guitarsts of today are obsessed with speed and technical ability. Today, that's what people look at when they decide on who's the best guitarist in their opinions. However, just as Teaflax said, one has to consider the influence the guitarist has had on music. People tend to forget that rock music probably wouldn't sound like it does today if Hendrix had not revolutionized guitarplaying the way he did back in the 60's. Because back then, people saw Hendrix the way we see people like Steve Vai or John Petrucci today. And as guitarplaying evolves, it is possible that they too won't be as highly regarded in 35 years.

One thing about Hendrix that people tend to forget is that he actually was a talented songwriter. People who only have heard songs like Purple Haze or Little Wing tend to dismiss his lyrics as weird. But those two songs represent a minority of all the material he's written. There are more than a few gems of songwriting within Hendrix's catalog, and if he hadn't died such a sudden and unfortunate death, he probably would have developed greatly as a songwriter over the years.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 23:35
I always wonder where Jimi would have gone next if he had lived.

Can you imagine if he had formed a band with Bootsy Collins? Would that not have been the trippiest, funkiest, mind-melting-liest thing you've ever heard? Wacko
Pure Brilliance:
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 00:39
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Can you imagine if he had formed a band with Bootsy Collins? Would that not have been the trippiest, funkiest, mind-melting-liest thing you've ever heard? Wacko

Wow. That would sure be something. They'd probably have turned out some really awesome stuff...
 Post Reply Post Reply