Topic ClosedAMON DÜÜL late 60's session

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMON DÜÜL late 60's session
    Posted: June 08 2006 at 15:02

So, four albums from one recording session! I have the first album, and one can hear that at least some of the tracks on it are edited with fadings from a longer ... music moments? Smile Has the original session been preserved anywhere, or could it be reconstructed from these albums? One could have a confusing audio DVD with the set from beginning to the end! I guess the idea in their primitive music is similar like in Indian traditional music, where the hypnotic performance can last for hours, no?

First I was a bit disappointed by this stuff, as I expected it to be colourful psychedelia rich in details like AMON DÜÜL II's "Phallus Dei", but there's an interesting idea in this stuff too, just very different than the one I mentioned.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 15:15
The original Amon Duul is just made of "chaotic" improvisations with some delirious moments...the most achieved part of the jam session has been recorded in "Paradieswarts Duul" (alternating great heavy "psych" folk improvisations with nice, moody "bucolic" ballads including "hippie" like lyrics)...the rest is without importance for me.  

I don't know about a possible video taken from the set. Personaly I've just seen a short video dated from the end of the 60's but Renate knaup was already on the vocals.

Edited by philippe - June 08 2006 at 15:17
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 09:22
i'm a big ADII fan, but have resisted getting any of the Amon Duul stuff yet.  I think I would be more interested in some ADII live bootlegs after Yeti was released maybe.  I should hopefully be getting the Phallus Dei DVD today, looking forward to that, definitely

Aaron
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 04:20
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

i'm a big ADII fan, but have resisted getting any of the Amon Duul stuff yet.  I think I would be more interested in some ADII live bootlegs after Yeti was released maybe.  I should hopefully be getting the Phallus Dei DVD today, looking forward to that, definitely

Aaron

You should try the British Amon Düül; "Meetings with Men-Machines" is only so-so (except for the track "Burundi Drummer's Nightmare", which is an absolute must-have), and the same is true for "Fool Moon", but "Hawk Meets Penguin" and "Die Lösung" are very good albums. "Hawk Meets Penguin" is in the vein of early Kraut, with lots of free-form improvisations."Die Lösung" features Guy Evans of VdGG on drums, Ed Wynne and Joie Hinton of the Ozric Tentacles on keyboards and guitar and the late Robert Calvert on vocals. That album would best be filed under "symphonic prog". Calvert also has a cameo appearance on the last track of "Fool Moon", where he sings, or rather recites, in German (some treatise on sensory perception). He has an horrible accent, by the way lol.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 11 2006 at 04:23

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 09:42

yeah the samples from Hawk Meets Penguin sound really good, i expect it to be better than anything ADII did since Wolf City

Aaron

Post Reply Post Reply