Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you think of 'disco' in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 19:04
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

It seems like a lot of people are ignorantly dismissing the actual musicianship that goes into playing some 70s disco music/prog with disco elements, or dismiss the musicianship that goes into an album like Tormato or Love Beach. I didn't think a lot of people would be so hostile towards it.

Tormato is one of the weakest Yes albums, songs as Circus of Heaven or the chees Arriving UFO are too bland  compared with previous and later Yes albums, for exzample Drama is a great release despite the lack of john Anderson.

Love Beach, please man this album was only recorded because ELP owned an album to thier former label, they wanted to quit but they owed many that they had been payed for this release and it is the biggest joke in Prog forums and sites.

Love Beach is less than mediocre full of bland Lake tracks a pseudo epic absolutely flawed IMO and only one decent song Canario.

Check the average of both, Canario barely reach 2 stars (Because of hardcore fans that gave 4 or 5 stars) and Tormato, well 15% of fans gave 5 stars (Most without review) and some gens as:

YES — Tormato

Review by bloodsucker (Max)

5 stars Wonderfull, not their best album, maybe more commercial (they tried but failed), but it's still a grat album, really good, I think it's a masterpiece, always progressive, you can't follow the beat!

For God's sake if the guy gives 5 stars to one of their not best albums I wonder how many stars woiuld the guy give to the best. LOL 5 stars to a failled album (in the reviewer's words???

About Disco, very few Prog bands used Disco elements because both genres are the opposite extremes of musical universe in the late 70's early 80's, the only one I remember is the one that I mentioned already (War of the Worlds) and is very good.

But pure Disco Dead this is one of the reasons why I never regret becoming a Prog fanatic.

Iván

Hey Micky if you have a picture of you with a Travolta Saturday Night Fever suit, please post it LOL

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 11 2006 at 19:07

70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 20:09
Sighhh...
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 20:10
Maybe some people happen to think every yes album is their best?

I like Tales just as much as Tormato. They're both 5-star albums.
Aint' it amazing how it works!!

Edited by 70sSoundquality - June 11 2006 at 20:19
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 22:37
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

Maybe some people happen to think every yes album is their best?

Well, the reviewer said clearly "NOT THEIR BEST ALBUM" so obviously this person doesn't believe Tormato is the best Yes album.

I like Tales just as much as Tormato. They're both 5-star albums.
Aint' it amazing how it works!!

You know, it's interesting your perspective and I agree it's valid even when a bit unusual, I consider myself a hardcore Genesis fan, but I don't rate every album exactly the same, even gave SEBTP 4 stars when most of the members rate it with 5 stars but all of this is subjective.

What is not subjective is to say:

1. Wonderfull, not their best album
  2. they tried but failed
  3. "maybe more commercial" and then  "I think it's a masterpiece, always progressive" 

And still with all this contradictions rate it with 5 stars, but it's the reviewers opinion at the end.

But as we accept the opinion of this person and don't delete this contradictory review, you should accept the doislike of some of us for Tormato, Love Beach and specially Disco music.

This is a wide world, each one has his/her opinion and we shouldn't criticize a person for voicing his/her opinion in an open and free forum.

I do believe Tormato and Love Beach are not the best those great bands have to offer (Neither Tales to be honest even when it's much better than the previously mentioned) and I believe everybody here is allowed to express a non offensive opinion of like or dislike.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 11 2006 at 22:44

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:03
I was a teenager (and even somewhat older) during disco's heyday. It was very difficult to ignore the phenomenon at that time, so I ended up dancing to quite a few disco "masterpieces" at parties - including disco-rock contaminations such as "I Was Made for Loving You" and "My Sharona".

As to disco elements in prog, I know of a few isolated tracks which feature disco beats, such as Camel's "Summer Lightning", or the much more famous "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 15:40
A lot of early German disco had strong prog elements because it was largely played by former Krautrock musicians. Donna Summer, for instance, was initially backed by former 2066 & Then and Amon Düül II alumni. In particular, you can hear those influences in her 1976 concept album "Four Seasons Of Love", and in the seventeen minute "MacArthur Park" suite from two years later. But if you want to hear some really early disco, listen to "Da Guadaloupe" from Amon Düül II's "Hijack" (1974). Certainly, it's very freeform, with a lot of psychedelic and improvised element - but listen to the rhythm and the sweeping strings. Disco, pure disco.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123