Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do Asia get 'dissed'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Asia get 'dissed'?
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 17:40
The comedy 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' has an inside joke that "if you like Asia, it's a sign that you're gay".  Not that there is anything wrong with being gay (I'm not gay just for the record). Wink

But this is used to poke fun at the brilliant music of Wetton/Howe/Downes/Palmer. I know some consider their 80's AOR, less-proggy sound a type of sell out perhaps. But the original line-up is reportedly re-uniting this year for a tour to mark their 25th anniversary. Clap

Where's the love for Asia?

"Your progressive hypocrites hand out their trash,
But it was mine in the first place, so I'll burn it to ash."
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 17:54
To answer the headline; because they suck donkey balls, especially if you consider the heritage of the players involved.

And being into Asia certainly isn't proof that you're gay (rather the opposite, I would say - AOR is guy's music); it's just an indication that you may need to replace the batteries in your crappitude detector.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:02
^ friendly as always!LOL
necromancing777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

To answer the headline; because they suck donkey balls, especially if you consider the heritage of the players involved.

And being into Asia certainly isn't proof that you're gay (rather the opposite, I would say - AOR is guy's music); it's just an indication that you may need to replace the batteries in your crappitude detector.

LOL

Okay, fair enough. But I don't think that listening to Asia or Journey means one needs to upgrade their "crappitude" detector. I enjoy Riverside, Mars Volta, Dream Theater, Yes, ELP, King Crimson far more than Asia. Though I do think this is the typical response to Asia, which is what I really don't understand. Confused

Edited by necromancing777 - June 17 2006 at 18:03

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:03
^ too late, you said something positive about Asia. Now they'll always hold it against you ... like "hey, aren't you the guy who likes Asia?".Wink
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by necromancing777 necromancing777 wrote:

I enjoy Riverside, Mars Volta, Dream Theater, Yes, ELP, King Crimson far more than Asia.
And I enjoy dark chocolate, good tea, marzipan, single malt whiskey and hot sex far more than being hit over the head with a brick.

Though I do think this is the typical response to Asia, which is what I really don't understand. Confused
Why not? It's AOR; music made to pour out of your radio without offense and nestle in your brain stem with its simple, familiar and repetitive songs. It deserves no less scorn than all other mass-marketed music that doesn't challenge the listener in any way - it probably deserves more since all the perpetrators obviously had better things in them.

I don't think they get singled out for more mainstream abuse than others of their ilk, but I could be wrong about that. Their heritage would certainly be a factor in that, if that were the case.

Edited by Teaflax - June 17 2006 at 18:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:19

I enjoy Riverside, Mars Volta, Dream Theater, Yes, ELP, King Crimson far more than Asia.
And I enjoy dark chocolate, good tea, marzipan, single malt whiskey and hot sex far more than being hit over the head with a brick.

Though I do think this is the typical response to Asia, which is what I really don't understand. Confused
Why not? It's AOR; music made to pour out of your radio without offense and nestle in your brain stem with its simple, familiar and repetitive songs. It deserves no less scorn than all other mass-marketed music that doesn't challenge the listener in any way - it probably deserves more since all the perpetrators obviously had better things in them.

I don't think they get singled out for more mainstream abuse than others of their ilk, but I could be wrong about that. Their heritage would certainly be a factor in that, if that were the case.

You're a crafty one aren't ye?

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:21

You're a crafty one aren't ye?
I'm just someone trying to make a difference. All glory to the artists who inspire me.
robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:45

Why not? It's AOR; music made to pour out of your radio without offense and nestle in your brain stem with its simple, familiar and repetitive songs. It deserves no less scorn than all other mass-marketed music that doesn't challenge the listener in any way

I don't think they get singled out for more mainstream abuse than others of their ilk.

Take it from somebody whose top artist for the week is THOM YORKE, who of course does not write simple, familiar or repetitive songs. (yes i've heard his solo album)

Talk about subjectivity!

Edited by robertplantowns - June 17 2006 at 18:46

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:49
"Heat of the Moment" is on my playlist of songs to blast really loud in the car, as are Europe's "The Final Countdown" and Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again."

Who's living in the 80s? I'm super Cool!

LOL
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:14
Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

Take it from somebody whose top artist for the week is THOM YORKE, who of course does not write simple, familiar or repetitive songs. (yes i've heard his solo album)
I can quantize why Thom Yorke's songs aren't even remotely close to being anywhere near as simple, familiar or repetitive as anything Asia has put out, by comparing the output of both acts to the quite obvious templates that most hit songs follow. I'm not saying Yorke's stuff is hideously complex or off the wall, just that it's not even on the same playing field as Asia's deliberately radio-friendly fare.
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:21
Well I like em. There Aura album is class and the only poor albums they made were IMO. Arena & Astra.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:24
Where Aura album?
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:36
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

"Heat of the Moment" is on my playlist of songs to blast really loud in the car, as are Europe's "The Final Countdown" and Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again."

LOL

The Final Countdown got 4.5 stars on AllMuisc!

Tongue

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:47
The reason they were a disappointment and are not favorably looked upon was that after UK who did live up to everything they were hyped to be if for just one album, ASIA was the antithesis of that.  When I heard this line up was getting together to create some music I thought this could be the best band ever.  Well at least for the 80's. WinkThey did make radio friendly material smack dab in the most popular years of MTV.  With the pedigree they had there should have been something, one thing on that first album that a least nodded to their heritage and they did not do it.  Geoffry Downs was no Eddie Jobson and there in lies the difference. Jobson wrote some tremendous music for UK Downs wrote some average music for Yes and Asia.
 I don't hate the music for what it is its much better than many of their contemporaries but it could have been so much more.  If I wanted to hear Carl Palmer keep time well... I never want to hear that.

Edited by Garion81 - June 17 2006 at 19:47

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:51
I guess I can see both point-of-views. I like Asia because they came on the scene when I was a mere teenager....and before any prog snob-dome had a chance to infect me. I was aware of the bands these guys came from, but unaware of how engrained they were in the fabric of progressive music. To me, it was good music and easy to listen to.

On the other hand, Asia had a completely different agenda from Yes, ELP, King Crimson or UK. I bet that torqued the radical fans of the bands from which they came. Here you have 4 brilliant musicians joining forces, and what comes out is completely different.

E
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

LOL

Right on! I grew up in the 80's.  So for me, some of the first music I ever heard as a kid was "Heat of the Moment", "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Every Breath You Take", "Little Red Corvette", "Sussudio", etc.

Perhaps there is some "elitism" on the part of some prog listeners (I could be wrong), that draws resentment from the "lower classes" of music (AOR, Top 40, C&W, Hip Hop, etc).

Now I love prog (Yes, Genesis, Rush, ELP, Marillion, Radiohead, Godspeed You Black Emperor, etc.), and I also like other music such as: Fela Kuti, Sun Ra, Philip Glass (try sitting through the entire 60+ minutes of 'Music With Changing Parts'), but my wife loves Adult Top 40 and (cringe with me hereConfused) "Today's Hot Country".

Music, like any art is subjective and there are those who will stick up for "their bands", just like their favorite football club (USA 1, Italy 1....NOOOO!). But in the case of Asia, their seems to be a type of anger leveled against their music by many prog fans that I find hard to understand. But it's just like anything I suppose. I mean, I'll defend contemporary figurative painting over abstract expressionism any day of the week. But that doesn't mean I don't like some abstract works.

But, "Here I Go Again" on another rant. WinkThank God for this forum, otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind today. It's too hot to go outside. Dead

Edited by necromancing777 - June 17 2006 at 20:09

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 20:14

I mean, I'll defend contemporary figurative painting over abstract expressionism any day of the week. But that doesn't mean I don't like some abstract works.
Huh? What contemporary art - respected art, that is - is there that is primarily figurative? Not much that I can think of. Apart from hyperrealism in the 60's, purely illustrative or representational art hasn't really been much of a force in art since the early 20th century.

I mean, unless you count someone like Francis Bacon, whose paintings certainly qualify as "paintings of people that can (sort of) be recognized", but that's stretching the definition a bit.

Anyway, to get back on topic; I think AOR gets slammed from both sides of the spectrum, because the non-mainstream snobs such as myself find it too safe and common, whereas the hit-loving crowd probably find it a bit lacking in other aspects that are popular now, such as danceability and/or cute-girl singer or for not being aggressive enough (because post-Metallica's Black Album and Nirvana, that aspect really has been turned up quite a bit).

And, you know, there was quite a bit of good music in the 80's (scroll down for my personal list of a few of the 5-star albums produced during that decade). There's absolutely no need to blame that decade for its sins any more than other decades.
laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 20:15
  because i don't like them
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 20:36

I mean, I'll defend contemporary figurative painting over abstract expressionism any day of the week. But that doesn't mean I don't like some abstract works.
Huh? What contemporary art - respected art, that is - is there that is primarily figurative? Not much that I can think of. Apart from hyperrealism in the 60's, purely illustrative or representational art hasn't really been much of a force in art since the early 20th century.

I suppose I was thinking of Lucian Freud, Alex Katz and Odd Nerdrum (though Nerdrum gets no respect in most circles). 

Anyway, to get back on topic; I think AOR gets slammed from both sides of the spectrum, because the non-mainstream snobs such as myself find it too safe and common, whereas the hit-loving crowd probably find it a bit lacking in other aspects that are popular now, such as danceability and/or cute-girl singer or for not being aggressive enough (because post-Metallica's Black Album and Nirvana, that aspect really has been turned up quite a bit).

And, you know, there was quite a bit of good music in the 80's (scroll down for my personal list of a few of the 5-star albums produced during that decade). There's absolutely no need to blame that decade for its sins any more than other decades.

Aw, very true my friend. Your 80's music list is outstanding indeed. I think the reason I was attracted to 80's bands like Blondie, 10,000 Maniacs and Siouxsie & the Banshees in the place, was the 'cute-girl singer'. But these certainly aren't bands my "pop music" loving wife would ever listen too. LOL

Edited by necromancing777 - June 17 2006 at 21:18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>