Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Zao Zeuhl or Just fusion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Zao Zeuhl or Just fusion?
    Posted: June 18 2006 at 07:06
I just got a couple of Mp3's of Zao, from their album Shekina (look I'm not here to argue the ethics of Mp3's, I mean how else can I find out their music). But they just sound like fusion, so are they Zehuel (I know they are listed as Zehuel) or are they just a french fusion band with former Magma members? I'm curious about this bands and find out more and possibly purchase some of their CD's

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - June 18 2006 at 07:19

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 09:09

I love Zao - I have three albums: "Osiris", "Shekina" and "Kawana". All three are great and highly recommendable. "Shekina" is supposed to be their best, but I like all three of them equally.

As to "Zeuhl or not?" question - this is difficult one, and, probably not for me to be asked, but I think they are Zeuhl. From the other hand, I never linked bands such as Universe Zero or Art Zoyd to Zeuhl, but after recent discussions here, when I heard other people mentionning direct influences of Zeuhl etc, I relistened to some albums again, and surprisingly found some relations to Zeuhl also, but you can always hear what you are trying to find in their music, I guess.

Anyway, enjoy Zao notwithstanding which subgenre they belong - they are very good band. Also have to mention that it took me some time to fully get into and appreciate their music.

carefulwiththataxe
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 10:20
My ears say Zeuhl.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 11:12
So far I have only heard their debut and, although it also incorporates elements of Jazz Rock and the Canterbury Scene, I would definitely classify it as Zeuhl, mainly because of the bass playing and the vocals.

BTW: "just" fusion? Tongue

Edited by Joren - June 18 2006 at 11:16
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 17:35
French progressive fusion, which is mistakenly called Zeuhl due to Magma  being a popular novelty. Although Magma's output did influence French fusion and a few bands throughout the world, Zeuhl is a limiting overrated classification IMO and should fall under French Progressive Fusion or something similar. Most of the BEST French Progressive Fusion doesnt fit the the Zeuhl Catagory, Zao, Dun, Eskaton and few others being the exception. 

------------------------------------
should all Zappa influenced bands be called Dweezil music? Wink

Samla plays Smoked Herring music.......

Edited by DallasBryan - June 18 2006 at 17:42
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 02:14
I think Magma has too many opera and classical elements to be fusion, but I would consider Dun as either fusion or avant prog.
While I would consider Univers Zero's album 1313 as Zeuhl.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 04:46
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

I think Magma has too many opera and classical elements to be fusion, but I would consider Dun as either fusion or avant prog.

While I would consider Univers Zero's album 1313 as Zeuhl.

Good call! Daniel Denis did play in Magma in 72 (although not long enough to record) and this has stuck with him for a long time to come

As for ZAO, it is definitely Zeuhl although jazzier and more thnic oriented than early classic Magma was. But if you listen to Vander's music in the 80's definitely jazzier
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 06:17
well this is a good discussion, it shows that the lines between different prog genres can be very thin; take for example Krautrock, Space Rock and Electronic prog very close relatives indeed and the differences a certainly very grey at times.
This is what I am trying to ascertain, whether a prog style is defined by their music or the movement they were part of? That is what I have been trying to find out about Zao, according to most of Zeuht therefore Zeuhl it is, but it is interesting to consider if Dun had join Rock in Opposition  would this website list them as Zeuhl or Rio?, thats what has confused me about Univers Zero and Art Zoyd, is it the music they played that defined them or the faction they sided with?, To be honest I havn't heard a great deal from these guys so my opinion isn't 100% informed, but after listening to Magma's album Kohntarkosz especially Ork Alarm, I'd list those two bands as Zeuhl I see many similarities. So the question we have to ask ourselves is  do they stay under RIO because they joined it or should they be listed under Zeuhl because (If you agree with my opinion) they sound like Zeuhl?

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 06:52
In most part I would have to disagree with you, on putting both of those bands into the Zeuhl catagory. Yes I can accpet that there is a lot of similarities between the sounds but Unviers Zero was one of the five founding memebers of the RIO moment, each of these five bands have a very different sound, neither sounding like each other. For me a lot of the meaning behind RIO is a political statement against the music industry rather than a particular sound. We can hardly say Samla Mammas Manna and Univers Zero have similar sounds. This is how I feel towards the bands which joined the moment back in the '70s. But this yet again this asks another question about the newer "off shoots" of RIO, which are likend more in style rather than political leanings.

As for Art Zoyd they joined the movement a little while later, but I would not classify them as zeuhl. I find there roots more deeply dug in chamber rock and I personaly find the large focus on bass and drums (which I see to be something important in the differentials between the two genres) is not present in their music.. Also we need to take into the account of the material Art Zoyd have produced over the last fifteen years. These works focus a lot more on the use of electronics and is far removed from their chamber rock years  or anything remotely close to Zeuhl.

peace

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 08:33
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

it is interesting to consider if Dun had join Rock in Opposition  would this website list them as Zeuhl or Rio?

IIRC, Dun did in fact support Henry Cow for a period. Not sure how useful this is to the debate, mind you. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply