Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters - Tone Deaf?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - Tone Deaf?
    Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:02
Ermmmm
A review of Wish you Were Here posted earlier today makes a claim that reads "as Roger Waters is tone deaf...".
Is this just a nasty opinion or is there any truth in it (documented)? Personally, as a music teacher,I don't believe in ToneDeafNess, only lack of confidence in formative years. Anyone else out there know more about Rog's alleged deficiency?
New Progressive Rock Live show now touring UK theatres!
www.masterpiecestheconcert.co.uk
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:04
He is (partially).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914166/bio
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:13
Sounds like a dig at him, to me.

Roger Waters is not the worlds best musician, but he's far from the worst, and I find it hard to believe that someone who is tone deaf would have anything more than apassing interest in music, let alone the inclination to make it their vocation in life.

Edit: Ok, just read Dragon Phoenix' link. Looks like there may be some truth in it. Still find it hard to believe though.

Edited by Blacksword - June 19 2006 at 05:16
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:19
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Sounds like a dig at him, to me.

Roger Waters is not the worlds best musician, but he's far from the worst, and I find it hard to believe that someone who is tone deaf would have anything more than apassing interest in music, let alone the inclination to make it their vocation in life.

ClapClapClap to that. He's also a great songwriter, one of the greatest ever, even if he may be difficult as a person (and, not knowing him personally, I find it very hard to judge).

Although I have a weakness for singers who can really sing, I make an exception for Roger - he's not the world's greatest vocalist, but he can convey emotion in a way that other, more gifted vocalists can only dream of. Come to think of it, John Wetton on LTiA was not that much better than Waters...
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:30
Some of his singing/crooning on The Wall is flat.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:35
I remeber reading in one of Pink Floyd's biography's, it mentions that Waters was tone deaf; Rick Wright(he played guitar for a bit originally) had to tune his bass for him, but Waters did overcome it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

I remeber reading in one of Pink Floyd's biography's, it mentions that Waters was tone deaf; Rick Wright(he played guitar for a bit originally) had to tune his bass for him, but Waters did overcome it.

He could probably cope with electronic guitar tuners, which tell you when you've tuned the string to the right note..

Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 06:53
This business about Waters being diffficult is not borne out by all.

Andy Latimer was auditioned for Water's forthcoming tour but did not get the gig because he can't sing in the same range as Dave Gilmour ( his voice is too deep).

However, he was fulsome in his praise of Waters, describing him as a "gracious and really nice bloke".

I can't comment on him being tone deaf but he writes some damn good music and lyrics!!
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 08:36
I remember that Rick Wright answered in an interview, when asked if he ever had a fight with mr. Waters onstage, "Never, the only times I got angry with Roger was when we were playing in E and he was still banging in D. He just couldn't hear the difference."
And given the crappy vocal performance of mr. Waters at Live 8 during "Wish you were here", well, do we need more proof of the fact that he is tone-deaf????
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
Tomodachi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 09:45
I had never heard of this before... I read many PF biographies and I knew that he had problems with the tuning of his bass, but tone deaf... He composed some of the greatest songs of all times IMO... By the way I saw his gig in Rome on 16/06 and it was absolutely AWESOME, at the age of 61 he can hit all the high notes and has mantained his particular singing style that I always loved for his great emotionality. And about his  vocal performance at Live 8: I see that many consider it as crappy but I don't understand why, it seemed good to me... And please consider that I'm not a Waters fanatic because I see him as the main cause of the end of Pink Floyd's golden age.
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:04
Roger Waters is not definitely a great bassist or great singer but if we get an analize of your career, he is one of the best artists of Prog Music. And I think that the feelings in your music is the most important then your performance with bass or vocal. I like PF and he was very importanting to Floyd. For good or bad, it´s not important right now. And all artists has yours faults or not. The contribuition of Roger Waters is fantastic. This is the point.
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:26
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

I remember that Rick Wright answered in an interview, when asked if he ever had a fight with mr. Waters onstage, "Never, the only times I got angry with Roger was when we were playing in E and he was still banging in D. He just couldn't hear the difference."
And given the crappy vocal performance of mr. Waters at Live 8 during "Wish you were here", well, do we need more proof of the fact that he is tone-deaf????

You call that proof? Where I was sitting, PFs appearance at Live8 was a moving and emotional experience and nobody gave a "crappy" performance.

As Tomodachi said a couple of posts ago, I too am familiar with PF history but do not recall this allegation. Sure, he was initially unable to properly tune his bass in the early days, but that doesn't prove he is tone-deaf. I would be interested to know from where that web site IMDb got its information.

sm sm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:07
"Tone Deaf" could be used to describe the blatently pop records or songs by certain prog rock bands.

When Water's writes a song in the vain of Genesis "Turn it on again", then I will consider the man to be tone deaf
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by sm sm sm sm wrote:

"Tone Deaf" could be used to describe the blatently pop records or songs by certain prog rock bands.

When Water's writes a song in the vain of Genesis "Turn it on again", then I will consider the man to be tone deaf

Hear, hear! ClapClapClap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:33
Originally posted by sm sm sm sm wrote:

What's writing pop songs got to do with being tone deaf??

Tone deaf is the inability to differentiate between tones. Te last time I heard 'Turn it on again' by Genesis, the band and singer were clearly able to play in key together! ..and hey, I love that record..

Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:35
I doubt it.
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:38
I found it hard to believe but the evidence seems to be there that he is partially tone deaf.

I'm as much of a Floyd fan as the next progger, so I'm not running him down. It seems his strength is in his lyric writing and his ideas for concepts. It's not held or Floyd back. I heard a similar thing about Fripp.

Apparently Gilmour played the fretless bass on The Wall....

Edited by Blacksword - June 19 2006 at 12:39
jj1414 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by Moribund Moribund wrote:

Ermmmm
A review of Wish you Were Here posted earlier today makes a claim that reads "as Roger Waters is tone deaf...".
Is this just a nasty opinion or is there any truth in it (documented)? Personally, as a music teacher,I don't believe in ToneDeafNess, only lack of confidence in formative years. Anyone else out there know more about Rog's alleged deficiency?

I think that's a ridiculous thing to say!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by jj1414 jj1414 wrote:

Originally posted by Moribund Moribund wrote:

Ermmmm

I think that's a ridiculous thing to say!

Bearing in mind definitions of 'tone deaf' have you looked at the evidence??

Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 20:36
He does seem a little flat at times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>