Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuintessence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quintessence
    Posted: June 20 2006 at 03:16
I'd go for the debut In Blissful Company. The whole album is very good (four stars imo), and a pleasant listen. I don't mind a little dated sound, but don't expect it to be prog. Anyway, their debut sounds more 'timeless' than their later albums. 'Hit' single Notting Hill Gate sounds very hip and influential to me. Can' t say the same about much prog I've heard from ca. '77-97.

You'll always regret buying collections if you become a fan, but I would go for the '93 collection Epitaph for Tomorrow.

The self titled second is also good. More chants, less psychedelic 60's rock. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 22:08
I have the later albums on one CD, and it's very good, albeit a bit more commercial than one would think at times.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 09:56
I find them to be one of the more dated prog bands around- their take on prog can be a little embarassing at times to my 18 year old ears, mainly their insistence on putting chants on their albums. They have some very good tracks though, such as 'Notting Hill Gate', 'St Pancras' and 'Dance For The One'. All are on that introduction as I have it myself, and only that- I'm happy enough with that.

An odd bit of trivia I once read about them was that Jim Morrison of The Doors was a fan- not quite as bizarre as Michael Jackson being a Focus fan; he supposedly watched them 5 nights running at the Whisky A-Go-Go in the 70s- but close enough!LOL

Edited by salmacis - June 19 2006 at 09:58
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 09:06
Which is the best Quintessence album? In other words, if you only bought one, which would it be? Is the recent Introduction to Quintessence worth buying? 
 Post Reply Post Reply