Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoelderlin
    Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:12
Just finished re-writing my very first reviews for the site

Anyone heard of these guys?

Started out as Hölderlin and produced of of the most stunning prog folk album ever >> Hölderlin's Traum.>>StarStarStarStarStar

Then problems arose and they had a three year lay-off before restarting under a slightly different name Hoelderlin, a slightly different line-up and a mopre symphonic prog sound

Three albums: HoelderlinStarStarStarStar, Clowns And CloudsStarStarStar,5 and Rare BirdsStarStarStar

As with most bands, as album kept comingg, they got progressively less interesting for progheads. The double  Live Traumstadt is still quite good, but later albums should not be investigated unless a real Hoelderlin fan.

Discuss!Wink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:21
I only have their first and it's been a long time since I last listened to it. As far as I remember I was quite impressed, the melody from "Waren wir" still haunts me every now and then... oh, BTW, since my German is less than poor and the Spalax cd only has the words from a couple of songs, do you know where I can find the complete lyrics?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:34
Only on the first album are the lyrics in German, the next three albums are sung in English and lyrics are provided in the booklet.

I have the cardboard mini-Lp of the debut and I must say, it is quite hard to read the German lyricsCry
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:44
off course man...what can I say, their first is probably one a summit of teutonic "dreamy" folk rock next to Broselmaschine and Emma Myldenberger...for more informations or files please PMWink

Edited by philippe - June 20 2006 at 05:45
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:52

I will salvage this tonight from the cd boxes in my appartment and listen to it again (I mean Traum and s/t).

I love those two albums, especially Traum which is as Philippie describes it.

Broselmaschine is also a band I am happy to have discovered here (as well as other folk bands I discovered here - Emtidi and Carol of Harvest for instance).
BTW, Good reviews, Sean.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:53
I love Traumstadt because that 2-live LP delivers the most symphonic rock oriented sound (my cup of tea Approve) but their earlier, more folk oriented LP's are also wonderful, especially their debut LP Thumbs Up .
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:58
I only have their first album Traum which I adore to bits. It was my first progressive folk album and still reminds my favourite from the genre Big smile
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:38
I actually got it by reading your blog of prog folk Smile

I've only heard it like 3 times but its so beautiful and gentle. I got to listen to it again.
Also, by reading your blog I became more interested in prog folk in general, not just Jethro Tull. I'll be getting the Jan dukes de grey album too.

Thanks Thumbs Up and keep those recommendations coming.

Fourside View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:45
I love their first album! Never has a folk song given me as much chills as Peter, and what a beautiful voice that Nanny De Ruig is. It is rather see them depressing to write a song like Nurnberg on a later album. 
Forkface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:52
Being a huge fan of krautrock, I ran across Hoelderlin a few years ago. Keep in mind that Hoelderlin is not really krautrock, except Live Traumstadt which has some great jams and good use of synth.  Live Traumstadt and  Clowns And Clouds are my faves. Traum is a great German folk album from the period. I agree with Sean, their later albums, although interesting in their own way, become less adventurous, for me anyway. But a great band though. If you haven't heard them, check them out!
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 13:41
I ordered Holderlin's Traum Monday from Greg Walker- should be here on Wednesday (because of his insanely fast shipping). Very anxious to hear it. Always appreciate your recommendations! Thumbs Up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 04:25
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

I ordered Holderlin's Traum Monday from Greg Walker- should be here on Wednesday (because of his insanely fast shipping). Very anxious to hear it. Always appreciate your recommendations! Thumbs Up

Just in case you get a different version of this album with printed readable lyrics, it would be nice of you to print them out in a post in this thread

Possible?
ThanksWink

Edited by Sean Trane - June 21 2006 at 04:25
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 16:57
I`ve got  old vynil copies of Clowns & Clouds, Traum and Live Tramstadt  I picked up back in the late seventies for five bucks each ( 10 bucks for the Live Tramstadt) sealed! From a guy who was liquidating stock from stores who went out of business. I also picked up some other great German stuff at the same time. Great band which I have always compared to Grobschnitt in a way, perhaps because of the Clowns & Clouds cover and the performance on the live album. More recently  I picked up New Faces at a second hand shop in NYC which is rather disappointing sort of trying to go in a more fusion jazz direction. I haven`t heard or even seen copies of the other albums in the archives but if you don`t check this band out you`re missing a lot especially the live album which is one of the best live prog albums in my book.Thumbs Up
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 17:05
Excellent taste, Vibrationbaby ..Wink !
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

Just in case you get a different version of this album with printed readable lyrics, it would be nice of you to print them out in a post in this thread

Possible?
ThanksWink

No problem. Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 04:12
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I`ve got  old vynil copies of Clowns & Clouds, Traum and Live Tramstadt  I picked up back in the late seventies for five bucks each ( 10 bucks for the Live Tramstadt) sealed! From a guy who was liquidating stock from stores who went out of business. I also picked up some other great German stuff at the same time. Great band which I have always compared to Grobschnitt in a way, perhaps because of the Clowns & Clouds cover and the performance on the live album. More recently  I picked up New Faces at a second hand shop in NYC which is rather disappointing sort of trying to go in a more fusion jazz direction. I haven`t heard or even seen copies of the other albums in the archives but if you don`t check this band out you`re missing a lot especially the live album which is one of the best live prog albums in my book.Thumbs Up

I think a parallel can be drawn between Grobschnitt and Hoelderlin if you avoid comparing both debut albums which are both vastly different from the rest of their respective discographies

But I think those two debut albums are the best work both bands have done.StarStarStarStarStar

Funny thing is that Hoelderlin took its namle from a poet and another group from the time did the same with another German writer Novalis >> which musically speaking is not far away from the other two bands mentined in this post, but closer to Hoelderlin than Grobschnitt
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 15:28
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think a parallel can be drawn between Grobschnitt and Hoelderlin if you avoid comparing both debut albums which are both vastly different from the rest of their respective discographies

But I think those two debut albums are the best work both bands have done.StarStarStarStarStar

Funny thing is that Hoelderlin took its namle from a poet and another group from the time did the same with another German writer Novalis >> which musically speaking is not far away from the other two bands mentined in this post, but closer to Hoelderlin than Grobschnitt
Great observation thereClap Whenever I throw a Holderlin album on the turntable I shake my head and wonder why I overlook this band so often. Thanks for the thread. I also noticed that when I was writing my prog biography back in 2004 I listed them in my top ten! I`ll write a review on these albums shortly.
 Post Reply Post Reply